Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

TvTomes.com No longer?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#1 of 43 Chas_Michael

Chas_Michael

Second Unit

• 448 posts

Posted June 14 2005 - 04:46 AM

Hello, anyone know where TvTomes.com went?

#2 of 43 John Stell

John Stell

Supporting Actor

• 818 posts

Posted June 14 2005 - 04:50 AM

It is now www.tv.com.
"...you would not understand...You do not...have...daughters."

#3 of 43 Matt_Vaudrin

Matt_Vaudrin

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted June 14 2005 - 04:58 AM

I've been a member of tvtome for over 2 years.

The webmaster of tvtome(john), sold the site to CNET games and Entertainment, they also own GameFaqs, Gamespot, MP3.com and I think a few others.

They bought the site and after a few months of creating the new site, they shut Tvtome down, just last night.

The new site is still having problems, and the editor jobs for shows haven't all been figured out, but other than that, it's a good site.

hope that helps you.

#4 of 43 Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted June 14 2005 - 05:07 AM

I don't care for the redesign at all (or is it what TV.com looked like all along?). I really enjoyed TV Tome in its old format and found it very user friendly with tons of great info easily available. Sort of the television equivalent of IMDB.

#5 of 43 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted June 14 2005 - 07:48 AM

I've found it's missing some episode trivia. I hope that's ported over soon.

#6 of 43 Jim*F

Jim*F

Stunt Coordinator

• 115 posts

Posted June 14 2005 - 08:05 AM

Kevin, I agree with you about the redesign. The old site indeed was very user friendly, while it took many extra clicks on the new site just to get to an episode list (and it appears as though now you can only see episode lists one season at a time, as opposed to the old site where you could see all seasons on one page).

#7 of 43 Matt_Vaudrin

Matt_Vaudrin

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted June 14 2005 - 09:54 AM

There's still tons of work going on for the new site.

There's a large group of people that have been with Tvtome for awhile and we've been in contact with the staff people, and just about everything from Tvtome will be brought over.

Hopefully with in about 2-3 weeks the site will be fully functional and have all the features that tvtome had, plus more.

#8 of 43 David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted June 14 2005 - 02:17 PM

Quote:
The new site is still having problems

That's like saying the Titanic only had a few leaks. Posted Image I found the new site to be buggy as hell, slow-loading with bloated pages to boot. Posted Image on the redesign.
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#9 of 43 Rakesh.S

Rakesh.S

Second Unit

• 455 posts

Posted June 14 2005 - 02:23 PM

I'm not really feeling the new design. The old site was very plain, and you just go there and search for what you want. Now they have all sorts of flashy stuff on there.

Major Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#10 of 43 Dorrie_W

Dorrie_W

Stunt Coordinator

• 110 posts

Posted June 14 2005 - 05:23 PM

I dont like the itty bitt text or the slick style. I want my old TVTOME. But hey--KUDOS to the webmaster. I wish someone would come by and over me a hunk of change for imissthe80s or thabiz so I can stop selling stuff on Ebay to pay my bills Posted Image

DW
Dorrie webmaster for
www.imissthe80s.com
Celebrity interviews
www.thabiz.com

#11 of 43 Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight

Screenwriter

• 2,515 posts

Posted June 14 2005 - 05:48 PM

See, if I would've been aware TvTome was sold, I would've archived that site. It was great...especially since you could just guess the URL for a show you want, and you'd most likely be right. Now the URLs have sequential show numbers in them, so you can't. That's a shame..
Kyle McKnight

#12 of 43 Casey C.

Casey C.

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted June 14 2005 - 06:11 PM

When I click on an episode's "Goofs" link, it takes me to "Trivia," where the "goofs" are listed ... but then when you scroll to the "Goofs" section it's blank.

Is there a link to submit feedback? I can't find it.

#13 of 43 Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter

• 1,249 posts
  • LocationGuelph, Ontario - Canada

Posted June 15 2005 - 12:00 AM

I also don't like this new site. It makes things more complicated than they need to be. TVtome was great because it WAS user-friendly. I even had it bookmarked for easy reference. I can't say I'll be giving this new site the same benefit. I've visited a number of times with the thought that it may grow on me, but I was wrong. Too much red tape to get through to reach your destination (i.e. episode guides). It's true what they say..........they don't make them like they used to.
My DVD / Blu-ray collection:

#14 of 43 Don_Limey

Don_Limey

Stunt Coordinator

• 222 posts

Posted June 15 2005 - 12:03 AM

Another good site bites the dust & sells out to corporate big wigs. Does anyone remember another old good site called upcomingmovies.com who sold out to Yahoo. I am not a fan of the new tv.com, I want my TV Tome.

#15 of 43 JeffWld

JeffWld

Stunt Coordinator

• 235 posts

Posted June 15 2005 - 12:28 AM

It's another example of trying to "fix" something that wasn't broken in the first place. As is always the case in these kind of situations, the new owners haven't got a clue as to the functionality required for their user base.

This is one makeover that is a total flunk-out.

#16 of 43 Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

• 1,065 posts

Posted June 15 2005 - 01:02 AM

Quote:
It's another example of trying to "fix" something that wasn't broken in the first place.

It's the Hollywood mentality loose on the Internet...You know, the new Honeymooners, Bewitched, and TVTome. Posted Image
I'm a classic TV fan. Widescreen? What's that?

#17 of 43 Dale MA

Dale MA

Supporting Actor

• 936 posts

Posted June 15 2005 - 01:43 AM

That's a real shame, TVTOMES used to be a regular stop for me -- this new site is awful.

#18 of 43 Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter

• 1,249 posts
  • LocationGuelph, Ontario - Canada

Posted June 15 2005 - 01:53 AM

Quote:
Does anyone remember another old good site called upcomingmovies.com who sold out to Yahoo.

Yup, I was a frequent visitor to that one as well. It was a hell of a great site until Yahoo got a hold of it. The same can be said about TVtome. Geez, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
My DVD / Blu-ray collection:

#19 of 43 Kate*H

Kate*H

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted June 15 2005 - 08:31 AM

I agree with all the complaints, and I have no idea why the changed tvtome, which I visited on a daily basis. Is there any other website out there that's almost as good as tvtome used to be? I don't plan on going back to the new site.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are

#20 of 43 Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner

Screenwriter

• 2,950 posts

Posted June 15 2005 - 09:11 AM

I think the new site stinks.

I use the following link:
http://web.archive.o....ww.tvtome.com/

Forum Nav Content I Follow