-

Photo
- - - - -

Where do you buy records (if anywhere at all)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 Matt Fisher

Matt Fisher

Second Unit

• 342 posts

Posted June 13 2005 - 12:23 AM

Our record player was busted, I just recently ordered a new one and am looking forward to breaking out some of my parents old vinyl that haven't seen the light of day probably in about 10 years. Obviously I'm going to want to pick up some more though, besides eBay, where are good places to find records? I know Virgin sells, but if I remember right their prices are through the roof.

#2 of 9 Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted June 13 2005 - 02:53 AM

I buy more used records than new ones. I have 2 local used places to grubble through. I run searches on e-bay and find something there occasionally. Online, I shop Music Direct, Elusive Disc, and Acoustic Sounds. I don't buy all that many though. However, I'm to recieve some LP's from Music Direct today. I got the new Springsteen, Neil Young's Greatest, and an album by the Black-eyed Peas.

My advice is to avoid 180 & 200 gram records. Making them flat seems to be a problem. With a greater width, a warp can be a bigger, higHer problem. Many TT's don't like them, especially. I think super-sized records is little more than a gimmick to greatly increase the price for nothin'...money for nothin', eh! I think anything over 140 is a waste.
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#3 of 9 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted June 13 2005 - 03:15 AM

Libraries can be a good source of records. A lot of the ones that have book sales also sell records as well. Used book stores of size also can carry records. There are also "record shows" that come to this area every once in a while, which have a bunch of vendors selling vinyl.

If you are talking about new records, I think Tower carries some vinyl, but not a huge amount.

Jason

#4 of 9 Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner

Second Unit

• 339 posts

Posted June 13 2005 - 08:04 AM

Garage sales can be a gold mine for dirt cheap used records, but it can be time consuming finding something you like.

#5 of 9 EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,475 posts

Posted June 13 2005 - 12:12 PM

If it's popular music that you are looking for, both Amazon.co.uk and HMV.co.uk have really good selections.

#6 of 9 Christopher_P

Christopher_P

Stunt Coordinator

• 108 posts

Posted June 14 2005 - 10:59 AM

Might also check out acousticsounds.com they carry plenty of new vinyl. Infact I just received an order from them today (The Who: Who's Next, The Clash Combat Rock, and Guns N Roses Appetite for Destruction).

I have ordered from them several times in the past and haven't had any issues with them. Always seem to ship really fast too if what I wanted was in stock.

#7 of 9 Zen Butler

Zen Butler

Producer

• 5,325 posts

Posted June 14 2005 - 11:28 AM

GoodWill stores are my primary source

bladerunner-thumb-510x227-39115_zpse210a

#8 of 9 Matt Fisher

Matt Fisher

Second Unit

• 342 posts

Posted June 14 2005 - 04:19 PM

thanks guys, i'll check some of those places out.

#9 of 9 Ari

Ari

Stunt Coordinator

• 208 posts

Posted June 15 2005 - 12:24 PM

elusivedisc.com