What's new

A Star is Born (Streisand) and box set in September (1 Viewer)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
From www.barbranews.com:

Streisand Returns in the Classic Love Story
A Star Is Born
Academy Award® & Golden Globe® Award Winner
for Best Original Song “Evergreen”
First Time on DVD September 20
Bonus Features Include Streisand Commentary, Remastered Dolby Digital® 5.1 Soundtrack, Additional Scenes/Alternate Takes and Wardrobe Tests

Timed to Coincide with Release of Streisand’s 61st Album, DVD will also be Available in 5 DVD Gift Set including The Main Event, Nuts, Up The Sandbox and What’s Up Doc?
Burbank, Calif., June 13, 2005 – The incomparable talent of Streisand, the magnetism of Kris Kristofferson and the reckless world of rock ‘n’ roll create a winning combination in A Star Is Born which debuts on DVD September 20 from Warner Home Video (WHV). This 1976 version of the classic screen love story is timed to coincide with the September release of Streisand’s 61st album (with Barry Gibb) and includes audio commentary from Streisand, a remastered Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack, additional scenes and wardrobe tests, also with Streisand commentary.

In addition to the DVD debut of A Star Is Born, WHV will re-package the original Barbra Streisand Collection DVD gift set. Priced at $49.92 SRP, it will now feature five of the actress’s memorable films in all-new amaray packaging: A Star Is Born, The Main Event, Nuts, Up The Sandbox and What’s Up Doc? A Star Is Born may be purchased individually at $19.97 SRP/$14.95 MAP; the other four titles in the gift set will also be available separately, re-priced at $14.97 SRP.

A Star Is Born was nominated for four Academy Awards® and won five Golden Globes®, including Best Picture, Actress, Actor and Original Score. Paul Williams, Kenny Loggins, Leon Russell and others worked with Streisand on the popular song score, topped by the Streisand/Williams hit “Evergreen” which won both the Oscar® and Golden Globe® as Best Original Song.

The story centers around rock star John Norman (Kristofferson) whose career has peaked. One night, after a concert, he stumbles into a club where he sees a singing group fronted by young singer Esther Hoffman (Streisand). The two quickly fall in love, although Esther has trouble with John's rock star lifestyle. One night, a typically burned-out John lets Esther sing a few songs at one of his shows and before long she's the talk of the record business. While Esther's star begins to rise, John's continues to sink, and while she desperately tries to help him clean up and focus on his music, it may be too late to save him.
The 1937 version of A Star Is Born, starring Janet Gaynor & Fredric March, captured seven Academy Award nominations and won one (Best Screenplay); the 1954 version, with Judy Garland & James Mason, was nominated for six Oscars.

A Star Is Born DVD Special Features include:
--Commentary by Barbra Streisand
--Wardrobe Tests: with commentary by Barbra Streisand. Includes montage cut to the song “Queen Bee” from the original wardrobe tests.
--Additional Scenes with Optional On/Off Commentary by Barbra Streisand
--A Star Is Born trailer gallery
--Soundtrack remastered in Dolby Digital 5.1

Now in its fifth decade, Barbra Streisand’s extraordinary career has earned her recognition and popularity as an actress, singer, director, producer and activist. A true Renaissance woman, Streisand has received two Oscars®, including one for Best Actress, eleven Golden Globes®, six Emmy® Awards, a Tony® Award, ten Grammy® Awards, a Lifetime Achievement Award from the American Film Institute and others. Streisand also has achieved sales unequaled by any other female recording artist, and with 49 gold albums, she is second in the all-time charts, exceeded only by Elvis Presley.

Basics
Street Date: September 20, 2005
Languages: English, French
Subtitles: English, Spanish, French
Format: Widescreen
Color / Closed Captioned

A Star Is Born
$19.97 SRP / $14.95 MAP DVD
Catalog: DVD #33536
Rating: R
Run Time: 140 minutes

The Barbra Streisand Collection Gift Set, $49.92 SRP

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

That box set is great for those of us that don't have the other four previously released titles, but it sucks for people that already bought them. Looks like I buy just A Star is Born.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
They should include the original 2-channel matrix track on this, since the laserdisc cover claims it was the very first movie to be released in Dolby Stereo, although I know Tommy and Lisztomania came out the year before this did.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
I believe Tommy and Lisztomania used Dolby's noise reduction system on mono prints ( which is where Dolby began ) which existed before Dolby stereo was developed for film. The print of Tommy that played first run in Toronto used a quadraphonic sound system which had nothing to do with Dolby's system.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Any confirmation on a new release date? I see DVDPricesearch notes it is "postponed". Buy.com has a release date of 12/29/06.

*edit* Hmmm. . .that may be just a "placeholder" date since that's a Friday. Probably no definite date yet.

Corey

Screenwriter
it's about time. i was tempted to buy the original set when it was on sale at target, but i'm glad i didn't. now i can buy it, even though i don't like the main event.

Paul Linfesty

Stunt Coordinator
Quote: "They should include the original 2-channel matrix track on this, since the laserdisc cover claims it was the very first movie to be released in Dolby Stereo, although I know TOMMY and LISZTOMANIA came out the year before this did."

TOMMY was the first movie to be released in Dolby SVA (stereo-optical) in Europe (although also used 4-Track mag and 3-Track matrixed Quintaphonic Sound prints as well). LISZTOMANIA followed as the first to use the format in the United States. However, at this time, Dolby stereo-optical was limited to the three screen channels. Dolby later liscensed QS matrixing technology to add an encoded surround track into SVA prints. This debuted with A STAR IS BORN. (Actually, in London, the Quintaphonic Sound version of TOMMY utilized BOTH Dolby A noise reduction to the mag tracks and the QS matrixing system for the two rear surrounds during its first-run engagement of TOMMY. Due to some kind of liscencing dispute, the Dolby NR was replaced with DBX NR for all subsequent Quintaphonic Sound engagements in the U.S. and Canada.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
This is good news, but I'm waiting for the rumored upcoming deluxe edition of the 1954 Judy Garland-James Mason A Star Is Born, which is supposed to include a fully-restored print of the 1937 original with Janet Gaynor & Frederic March.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I think it may have been part of this year's Warner chat with George Feltenstein, but I could be mistaken.

Jon Baker

Second Unit
So were plans scrapped for a re-release of the Streisand box set? I sold off my "What's Up Doc" snapper in anticipation for this. I now regret it since it looks as though now only "Star is Born" is going to be released.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks