What's new

The New World (2005)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Title: The New World (2005)

Tagline: Once discovered, it was changed forever.

Genre: Drama, History, Romance

Director: Terrence Malick

Cast: Colin Farrell, Q'orianka Kilcher, Christopher Plummer, Christian Bale, August Schellenberg, Wes Studi, David Thewlis, Yorick van Wageningen, Ben Mendelsohn, Noah Taylor, Jason Aaron Baca, Eddie Marsan, Michael Greyeyes, Jake Curran, Alex Meraz, Kirk Acevedo, Irene Bedard

Release: 2005-12-25

Runtime: 135

Plot: A drama about explorer John Smith and the clash between Native Americans and English settlers in the 17th century.

There's some discussion of this in the Whatever happened to Terry Malick? thread.

The trailer is up:

http://www.latimes.com/extras/newworld/

Last edited by a moderator:

FredK

Second Unit
Great, great looking trailer.

Personally, I hate to react to any film just because who's acting in it... but I just can't see past Colin Farrell. He really looks like he's playing himself (again).

As comparison, I've seen 4 Bale movies (5 in a few days) and I've never seen the same character 2x.

Still, great looking trailer.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Malick = trip to the theater.

Story I am interested in = added bonus.

Malick is a visual genius, and I can't wait to see the film.

Nice little trailer,
Chuck

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Wednesday, November 9. The Matrix Revolutions was released on the first Wednesday in November 2003. What's up with Wednesday in November release dates (other than Thanksgiving)?

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Managed to see this trailer, surrounded by the flotsam and jetsam of other trailers, on the big screen yesterday. It did not disappoint. Malick has few peers in bringing such meaningful, evocative, and gorgeous imagery to the screen.

This jumped up near the top of my list for the remainder of 2005.

Take care,
Chuck

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Words cannot describe how incredible this is going to be on the big screen. Color me stoked.

(based on Malick's previous work and the teaser)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
filmed in 70mm?
wow!

never heard about this until i saw the preview yesterday

looks promising, and nice to see Christopher Plummer again.

so is this a remake of Disneys Pocahontas?

;)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
The trailer looked unbelievable in the theater some time ago. The photography is no doubt breathtaking.

However, seeing it now for the second time online, I must say that I am getting very strong, Last Samurai vibes from this one (that's not a good sign).

It just SOOO looks like your standard inter-cultural romance against a historical backdrop.

And the tremendously self-aware line from Christopher Plummer's character: "I beg you, let not America go wrong in her first hour".... WTF? Who writes shit like that?! If it was from a Micheal Bay movie trailer, everyone would be hollering :) (sorry, I watched Pearl Harbor the other day and I can still taste the bile).

Lots of potential in this story, but the trailer, as gorgeous as it looks, hasn't quite convinced me.

--
H

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Would you endorse such a horrific line if you did not know Malick wrote it?

Dude,

"I beg you, let not America go wrong in her first hour"

Are you kidding me??!!!

--
H

David Brown Eyes

Second Unit
Another Pocahontas movie.

color me, well kinda, pissed.

Just saw a new poster for this last night, "Poki with her head on Smith's shoulder with a look of pure adoration." I wanted nothing more than to rip the poster down.

Ohhh please when will hollywood treat us with respect,

I was tollerant of this movie before seeing that poster, now it will be nothing but more drivelling hollywood crap.

Hey but it will look good in 70MM and for some I guess that is all that counts.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H

It's not a good line...but, I have to see it in context.

All things being equal, it is far better than "I can't quit you," or whatever the exact line from Brokeback was.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Jeffery Wells has also posted his views on it:

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/archi..._class_muc.php

Scroll down to get it.

Mostly, he thinks it is worth seeing, but he feels that Malik fumbled the ending badly, going from the relationship between Pocahontas and John Smith, to going to the historical record. (her marrying Rolfe, and going to Europe.)

Jason

David Brown Eyes

Second Unit
Wow from that review and then Jasons reaction to the reality of the story.

My fears are not only confirmed but I have not been frightened enough by this travesty.

I can only hope that no one will see this and spare me the pain of the reservations being flooded by morons looking for the "pure and good natives" babbleing on an on about The New World and how great it was and how it changed their lives.

Some hard facts that are ignored by this film.

John Smith was 27 when he arrived in Virginia
Pocohontas was 11. There was no love interest, no love story. There is a reason why Poki left for England with Rolfe and not Smith.

The true story of the Pocahontas is quite stunning yet hollywood continues to present the nonexistant love story and audiences lap it up as fact.

Here comes just another Hollywood monster.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
There have been a few reviews out already.

So far it's looking like it may be another Malick gem.

Ebert and Roeper both gave it thumbs up (Roeper called it a masterpiece).

Rottentomatoes.com has it at 82% (9 Fresh, 2 Rotten) so far.

I'm going to make a rare trip to the theatres to watch this one. With Malick you never know if/when his next film will be released. When he releases a film, it's a special event.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks