-

Photo

The Bliss of Mrs. Blossom

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Peter Scarfe

Peter Scarfe

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted June 11 2005 - 07:12 AM

Have been waiting far too long for this title. Does anyone know who owns the movie or whether there is a problem?
Not asking for much-commentaries by Joseph McGrath, Sir Richard Attenborough, Shirley Maclaine, James Booth...

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted June 11 2005 - 08:25 AM

Paramount released it on VHS and I imagine that they still retain the rights. John Cleese is in it also. It is actually based on a true story!!! Showtime did a straight version of the real story.
Charles Hoyt

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Mark B

Mark B

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts
  • LocationSaranac Lake, NY

Posted June 11 2005 - 08:27 AM

I got a copy from satellite, but I don't know if it ever got a VHS release in the US. I emailed Shirley MacLaine's webmaster in regards to John Goldfarb, Please Come Home getting a release and here's the response:

"The reason it is not on VHS or DVD is the
demographics. The distributors don't feel that it is strong enough demographic
wise to be released in these formats."

The response was quick and friendly. I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask about BLISS.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,616 posts

Posted June 12 2005 - 01:58 AM

THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM was released on laserdisc in North America by Paramount, in the early-mid 1990s (I own a copy), so it's not much of a stretch to believe that Paramount's DVD division will get around to it sooner or later, especially considering how deeply they're delving into their back catalog for DVD these days.

I love the movie, one of my favorite unsung comedies of the 1960s, and would very much like to own an anamorphically enhanced DVD of it. Please consider it soon, Paramount.

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Mark B

Mark B

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts
  • LocationSaranac Lake, NY

Posted June 12 2005 - 03:26 AM

That's for the laser release info. I'll have to try to find a copy, just in case the DVD doesn't happen.

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted June 12 2005 - 04:23 AM

Quote:
"The reason it is not on VHS or DVD is the
demographics. The distributors don't feel that it is strong enough demographic wise to be released in these formats."

Whenever studios make this statement (and they seem to do it with some regularity) I always wast to say to them Fine, that is perfectly understandable...give it to Anchor Bay, Blue Underground, Synapse, Image etc. etc. I'm sure one of these houses would love to put many of these obscure/lesser known films in your vault out on this format.

If there is one Shirley MacLaine film that I would like to see released on DVD it would be The Possession of Joel Delaney (1972), a subtle quiet little thriller with an ending shot that sticks with me as being very creepy indeed.
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   margaret l

margaret l

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted May 30 2008 - 08:52 PM

What do you have to do to get a gem like this released?

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted May 31 2008 - 02:43 AM

Legend Films released THE POSSESSION OF JOEL DELANEY and DESPERATE CHARACTERS, two Shirley MacLaine films distributed by Paramount. I don't know if their licensing deal with Paramount will go beyond those titles already agreed on, but THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM 's only possibility on DVD would be on in the Legend Film venue.
Charles Hoyt

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted May 31 2008 - 03:39 AM

Funny, I posted that back in 2005 and The Possession of Joel Delaney was only recently released on DVD.....better late than never I suppose.
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert