Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What Happened To The DIC Animations ie Inspector Gadget?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   BenjaminG

BenjaminG

Stunt Coordinator

• 154 posts

Posted June 11 2005 - 12:38 AM

Hey guys,

Quick question, does anyone know what is happening with the DIC animated DVDs such as Inspector Gadget and Super Mario Brothers? There was 1 DVD released of both starting from the first episodes, and presumably they were going to release the others in chronological order.. but that was over a year ago. Anybody know anything?

Cheers in advance.
Ben

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Jon Ganahl

Jon Ganahl

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted June 11 2005 - 04:15 PM

I'd also be interested to hear about the future of these. It seemed as though they had big plans when these were released; I believe I remember hearing about a possible Mario box set by Christmas 04. I'm guessing sales weren't very good; I know that I couldn't find it in any stores and had to get it online. It's a pity; this is one of the more fondly remembered shows of my youth.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Joe:C

Joe:C

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted June 11 2005 - 05:17 PM

They need a better way to distribute their titles. With the way 80's animation has been selling, you would think they would figure out a way to put out season sets. The only DIC show that I know of getting a box set set release is the New Adventures of He-Man (and that's because it somehow wound up with the Filmation library).

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   WhitneyG

WhitneyG

Stunt Coordinator

• 102 posts

Posted June 12 2005 - 03:37 AM

Last I heard, DIC might have dumped UAV to look for another DVD publisher. Right now, DeepDiscountDVD has only one DIC title from the series that were part of the now dead animation station line-up listed for a future release. According to them, there will be a new Super Mario Bros Super Show release coming this November, "The Legend of Zelda: Complete Series." According to the item ID, which is in the URL of the item and begins with "SON," the title is being published by Sony.

TSoD is already aware of the listing and I believe they are investigating it.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Joe:C

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted June 12 2005 - 09:51 AM

I'll pick up that Zelda complete series. Since there were only thirteen episodes it makes sense to release it that way. It's also good news that they have a new publisher.

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Walt Riarson

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor

• 809 posts

Posted June 12 2005 - 11:28 AM

If they own Super Mario Bros and Zelda, is it safe to say they own Captain N: The Game Master as well?
"My advice to young film-makers is this: Don't follow trends. Start them!" -- Frank Capra

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Joe:C

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted June 12 2005 - 02:34 PM

Yes, those were both DIC shows.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor

• 604 posts

Posted June 13 2005 - 09:53 AM

Man I would love it if DIC finally got the ball rolling witheir proerties, they have such a huge amount of great shows, and they have done so little with them.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Joe:C

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted June 13 2005 - 11:27 AM

Maybe this is a sign for good things to come.

*Edit- It looks like that Super Mario Bros. Super Show release will be a box set. According to Animated Bliss it will have 4-discs. If this is correct, two releases could complete the show (52 episodes).

Super Mario Brothers Super Show
Release Date: (10/25/2005)
Retail Price: $29.95
Studio: Sony Music
Disk Count: 4