What's new

Room Size/ Room Ratio (1 Viewer)

MarkLaf

Stunt Coordinator
Starting design stages for a basement home theater looking for some ideas on dimensions around the number that I have measured in my basement!

16' long
12' wide
8' tall

Would appreciate any input!!

Thanks, Mark

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
There are a few calculators available. I used one called "Frequency-Response" It is an excel spreadsheet and you enter you room dimensions. It will calculate your peeks & nuls. I could not find the link, but I did find this one: http://www.componentacoustics.com/. It is less complex. The first one you can also enter your seating positions.
Dave

Tom Rosback

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,
Don't get too hung up on room size and finding the perfect ratio. While these calculators tell you where a dip or peak might be, they don't tell you how strong it will be. There are other, more important considerations, like using the space you have to best advantage, balancing reflective and absorbtive surfaces, etc. I have a room similar to yours, with no issues. It is good to avoid 1:1 and 2:1 ratios if you can. So if you can make your theater a bit longer, great. Or put in a tray ceioling, they always look cool. If not, don't sweat it.

MarkLaf

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info! I will need to move an electrical box. Which is good. So I can upgrade the service coming into the house and have a sub panel put in for the theater!

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks