-

Photo

Looking for small but powerful 2 channel amp

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 Nick B

Nick B

Stunt Coordinator

• 65 posts

Posted June 09 2005 - 06:24 AM

Greetings Learned Forum:

I spend the majority of my time in the HT sections of this forum. However, I have a friend that needs to be pointed in the right direction. The topic is mobil audio. Specifically motorcycle audio. He is looking for a 2 channel amp that is powerful and small. It has to fit inside of the fairing. I am a fish out of water when it comes to this stuff. Does anyone have any opinions on what the better brands are, expecially when it comes to a high power/size ratio DC amp? Thank you very much for your assistance.

Nick B

#2 of 8 Adam R

Adam R

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted June 09 2005 - 12:59 PM

Check out linear power, they specialize in high power, high sound quality amps that are tough as nails and very small. You can't find them new anymore (doubt he would want to pay new prices anyway), but you can find them on ebay quite often. My 2.2hv is physically the smallest amp I own and it does a solid 270x2 @ 4ohm before clipping. You could find a smaller model that does 70-100x2 @ 4ohm, and it should be $1-200 and have a ~4x10" footprint, is that small enough?. It might be upwards of 5-10 years old though, however I have yet to speak to anyone who's managed to blow a linear power amp of any age, they're the very definition of "overbuilt". The dps200 is a pretty new model and would probably work well, if you can find one. If I could post links I would show you a picture of the internals on my 2.2, it's definitely impressive and looks very similar to the internals on their other models.

If he needs something even smaller, Navone has a baby 2ch amp that would definitely fit, but it doesn't give out much power (20x2). Again I can't give you any links, but if you go to davidnavone.com and click on "line drivers" on the left, it's about halfway down the page.

#3 of 8 Nick B

Nick B

Stunt Coordinator

• 65 posts

Posted June 09 2005 - 11:49 PM

Thank you so much for your reply, Adam. The Linear sounds awesome and would fit the bill perfectly. However, I know Duane, and he will not want to fool around with ebay. And unlike me, the price of a new Linear would not make him blink. Can you think of any brand that is currently being produced that is as close to Linear as possible? Again, thank you for getting us pointed in the right direction.

N

#4 of 8 Adam R

Adam R

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted June 10 2005 - 06:00 AM

Well nothing comes to mind that's that small and powerful, I know Xtant has a small full range mono amp but for stereo use he would need a pair of them. Other than linear power, that navone amp, and that xtant mono, I can't think of anything right now. Actually come to think of it, the zapco reference amps are pretty small. The 200.2 puts out 50x2 @ 4ohm and is 11x7.5, not sure if that's small enough or powerful enough though.

hah, speak of the devil, there's a linear power 2.2hv up on ebay that wasn't there yesterday. Man I wish I wasn't flat broke right now or I would pick that up in a heartbeat. Brutally powerful, 1ohm stereo stable, 6 year warranty, and sounds amazing. My baby needs a twin brother....

#5 of 8 Brian_D

Brian_D

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted July 01 2005 - 05:51 AM

Give www.memphiscaraudio.com a try.

#6 of 8 Mark gas

Mark gas

Second Unit

• 322 posts

Posted July 12 2005 - 05:25 PM

linear power is finished. check out the new amps from Cadence.
http://www.cadencest....ge=&ipagesize=
small but has tons of power.

#7 of 8 Nick B

Nick B

Stunt Coordinator

• 65 posts

Posted July 14 2005 - 04:40 AM

Thank you very much for your ongoing suggestions. I have been forwarding them to my friend for his review. I know I never would have found these amp options on my own. Take care, and thanks again.

Nick B

#8 of 8 Jarett

Jarett

Stunt Coordinator

• 158 posts

Posted July 21 2005 - 04:48 PM

I also am interested in this, thanks for the info.