Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

box for upcoming Star Wars films

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#1 of 35 OFFLINE   SimonY

SimonY

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted June 09 2005 - 04:42 AM

Any chance that anyone has heard anything about been able to buy a box for the first 3 Star Wars films to match the OT box from last autumn like what New Line Cinema did for LOTR, for those of us that have already bought TPM and AOTC? Or even a box that will take all 6 films…? What about a petition for one?

Simon

#2 of 35 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,345 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 09 2005 - 05:09 AM

It's way too early to hear anything about a mail-in offer for a box for the movies.

And not to be a jerk but I think starting a petition for one would be a little ridiciulous. Even if I paid a small sum for it, Lucasfilm doesn't owe me a box for my other movies. New Line was good enough to do that for LOTR but it wasn't something that they had to do. I think a petition should generally be for instances when companies release a pan and scan only version of a movie or things in that area.

#3 of 35 OFFLINE   SimonY

SimonY

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted June 09 2005 - 06:53 AM

I was thinking that a petition, even thought it might be over the top, would send a signal to Lucas & co that the fans might like to have a box to have the collection in, without having to fork out for the rumoured 6 dvd box edition....

#4 of 35 OFFLINE   BrettGallman

BrettGallman

Screenwriter

• 1,392 posts

Posted June 09 2005 - 07:02 PM

Meh...just wait a couple of years, you'll get a box full of discs worth upgrading for when the ultimate saga box set that everyone is expecting for the 30th anniversary is released.

Of course, if there's any more tinkering with the films (OT especially), maybe many of you won't find it worth upgrading Posted Image

But seriously, I think it would be nice if there were a promotion similar to New Line's LOTR box, but it's not going to kill me if there isn't one. I'd pay a small amount for one.
Oh, the Horror - Horror Reviews from All Decades and All Sub-Genres!
Balls Academy -  Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
Other recent reviews: Super | Thor Tobacco RoadSource Code | Sucker Punch |

#5 of 35 OFFLINE   TedT

TedT

Second Unit

• 422 posts

Posted June 10 2005 - 05:20 AM

Have any of those internet petitions actually worked? Ever?

#6 of 35 OFFLINE   Alex-A

Alex-A

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted June 10 2005 - 05:59 AM

I highly doubt any of the internet petitions actually gather any attention. Anyone with a computer can put one up, it wouldn't surprise me f studios receive these 'petitions' quite frequently and just ignore them altogether. To me, a physical letter will always garner more attention when delivered in the hundreds or thousands than something that can be gone with the push of the delete button.
NCC-2000

#7 of 35 OFFLINE   Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted June 10 2005 - 06:13 AM

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - Widescreen DVD.

#8 of 35 OFFLINE   Nick T Robot

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor

• 563 posts

Posted June 10 2005 - 06:24 AM

Well you can also get one of these

Posted Image

Posted Image

Available here.

Will cost a bit more than the LOTR box, but it's a lot more durable.

#9 of 35 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted June 10 2005 - 06:51 AM

Quote:
For actual DVDs? Occasionally. For getting a matching cardboard box for DVDs you already own? Not a chance.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#10 of 35 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted June 10 2005 - 07:19 AM

On November 1 they'll be releasing Episode 3 in a boxset with the other two sequels. I would think this would have new transfers, since Episode 1 was notoriously panned in that respect.

#11 of 35 OFFLINE   Nick T Robot

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor

• 563 posts

Posted June 10 2005 - 07:44 AM

Quote:
On November 1 they'll be releasing Episode 3 in a boxset with the other two sequels. I would think this would have new transfers, since Episode 1 was notoriously panned in that respect.

I read that they'll release it along with a 3 film box set, and a 6 film box set (So, actually 6 seperate releases, ROTS OAR, ROTS MAR, The 3 Prequels OAR, The 3 Prequels MAR, The Whole Saga OAR, and The Whole Saga MAR)

I think the idea of this thread was a box would be made available so that people wouldn't have to buy any of the previous films again (I, II, IV, V, or VI)

I also doubt that they'll re-Master any of the films before a new 6 film set (possibly in 2007) I don't think they'll want to take away from the release of Episode III

#12 of 35 OFFLINE   Aaron_Brez

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor

• 792 posts

Posted June 10 2005 - 09:32 AM

I would think this would have new transfers, since Episode 1 was notoriously panned in that respect.

Would be nice if they fixed the surrounds on ANH, but I have no confidence they'll do so. They'll probably just repackage the DVD inventory they already have, and we'll have to wait until 2007 or Blu-ray/HD-DVD for corrected versions.

#13 of 35 OFFLINE   Joe:C

Joe:C

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted June 10 2005 - 02:08 PM

Those are some nice boxes. I wouldn't pay $30 for one though.

#14 of 35 OFFLINE   Brad M

Brad M

Second Unit

• 499 posts

Posted October 17 2005 - 12:48 PM

I just noticed they now have a new "commentary" feature if you check the dvd-rom contents. I was just watching The Empire Strikes Back and you can read along with a script as you watch the movie. You can also do this with A New Hope and it says "coming soon" for Return Of The Jedi.

Thought someone might want to know.
Don't make me hungry. You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry.

#15 of 35 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,278 posts

Posted October 17 2005 - 01:38 PM

Other than Phantom Menace, NONE of the other movies could possibly look any better than they do on standard DVD.

#16 of 35 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted December 01 2005 - 05:15 AM

My brother asked for the Star Wars films for Christmas. As of now he doesn't have any of them. A couple of questions.

The OT set out next week is exactly the same as the previous OT set except for the box artwork and exclusion of the bonus disk?

There's no 'set' of the PT, they must be bought separately?

There's no 'set' for all six?

Just trying to make certain. Thank you. Posted Image

#17 of 35 OFFLINE   Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,761 posts

Posted December 01 2005 - 05:23 AM

Quote:
Other than Phantom Menace, NONE of the other movies could possibly look any better than they do on standard DVD.

Maybe not in terms of video resolution, but Star Wars (Episode IV, whatever), and possibly the other 2 entries in the OT (I didn't follow the threads in detail at the time of release), were criticized for transfer flaws such as incorrect colors. So while the current discs can't get much, or maybe even any, better from a technological perspective, there may still be room for improvement when it comes to aesthetics and/or accuracy.

DJ

#18 of 35 OFFLINE   Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor

• 902 posts

Posted December 01 2005 - 05:30 AM

Quote:
My brother asked for the Star Wars films for Christmas. As of now he doesn't have any of them. A couple of questions.

The OT set out next week is exactly the same as the previous OT set except for the box artwork and exclusion of the bonus disk?
As far as anybody knows, yes.

Quote:
There's no 'set' of the PT, they must be bought separately?
True on both counts.

Quote:
There's no 'set' for all six?

Also correct.

#19 of 35 OFFLINE   Kain_C

Kain_C

Screenwriter

• 1,036 posts

Posted December 01 2005 - 05:41 AM

We recieved those new Star Wars Trilogy boxsets yesterday. They're quite nice looking. I love the old school box art and would prefer that to what we have now.

#20 of 35 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,278 posts

Posted December 01 2005 - 01:05 PM

Do the keepcases have the same art?

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow