-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Deer Hunter 2-disc SE in September (MERGED THREAD)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
62 replies to this topic

#1 of 63 MikeyBo

MikeyBo

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted January 17 2005 - 10:21 AM

Does anyone know if they are going to release The Deer Hunter - Robert Deniro and Christopher Walken on DVD. Collectors Edition maybe? I know they have it on DVD, but has anyone heard of something new coming out.

I can't wait for this summer - Fistful of Dollars and A Few More Dollars!!!!

#2 of 63 Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor

• 976 posts

Posted January 17 2005 - 10:34 AM

A 2 disc SE is out in the UK (and has been since mid-2003). It has a great commentary from Cimino and an hour making of documentary (split into 3 parts) on the second disc. It's a Warners, not Universal, release, which may explain its non-appearance in R1.

#3 of 63 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,439 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted January 17 2005 - 10:43 AM

There's a rumour that Universal is prepping an R1 SE of The Deer Hunter for release this year.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#4 of 63 Kain_C

Kain_C

Screenwriter

• 1,036 posts

Posted January 17 2005 - 01:49 PM

Let's hope. This, All the President's Men, Cool Hand Luke, and The Sting as well as countless others I am missing deserve MUCH BETTER than their current DVD representation.

The Deer Hunter is one of the most powerful films ever.

Quote:
I can't wait for this summer - Fistful of Dollars and A Few More Dollars!!!!

Not to change the subject too much, but I haven't read anything about these re-releases. I will say I hope they don't ruin the films like they did with the GB&U re-release by the inclusion of pointless and badly-dubbed scenes. Those extra scenes were deleted for a reason.

#5 of 63 Bob clamer

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor

• 651 posts

Posted May 22 2005 - 01:31 AM

Anyone heard anything new on a Deer Hunter SE? Hate to spend a fortune on what seems to be an OOP DVD if something is in the works.Posted Image

#6 of 63 Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted May 22 2005 - 03:17 AM

I am pretty confident that a R1 SE is in the works at Universal. When a Prestige Picture's DVD from a Big Studio goes OOP, you can bet that a (not always) superior edition is in production.

The extra features on the UK R2 DVD were produced by Blue Underground and it is feasible that they may be licensed out to Universal. Cimino's commentary (moderated by Bill Lustig) is amazing, very emotional and illuminating. If that very commentary doesn't make it to any future R1 DVD, then you Yanks have missed something special.

Visually, The Deer Hunter is stunning - a lesson in cinematography by master DP. A new, hi-def, cleaned-up transfer from a prime element is what is needed most. The R2 transfer, although anamorphic and generally good, suffers badly in places: the blacks are weak; excessive grain/video noise is prevalent in the 'Nam sequences; the overall image could be much sharper.

#7 of 63 Jing_B

Jing_B

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts

Posted May 22 2005 - 11:29 AM

Yeah an SE would be GREAT!!! I heard tht it may come out in 2008 on its 30th Anniversary. Please may this not be true!!!

#8 of 63 Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted June 09 2005 - 04:15 AM

Announcement here, on DVDAnswers. Woo-hoo! Is the Universal "Legacy Series" something new? According to DVDAnswers, there are also going to be 2-disc SE Legacy Series releases on Sept. 6 for To Kill a Mockingbird and The Sting(!!). Looks like Universal is finally stepping up to the plate on some of our most long-desired SEs.

#9 of 63 Kain_C

Kain_C

Screenwriter

• 1,036 posts

Posted June 09 2005 - 04:29 AM

Excellent. Looks like I need to start saving those pennies because it's going to be an expensive release day for me.

#10 of 63 Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann

Producer

• 3,515 posts

Posted June 09 2005 - 04:32 AM

This is great news!

It also seems to follow the recent trend from studios in releasing new SE editions of older DVDs before the next generation DVD comes out. These new releases may also hint that HD editions will be available soon. Posted Image

#11 of 63 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,439 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted June 09 2005 - 04:36 AM

DVD Times has news of a September release of The Deer Hunter SE here:

Universal Studios Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of The Deer Hunter (Special Edition) for 6th September 2005 priced at $26.98 SRP. Robert De Niro stars in director Michael Cimino's 1978 classic which examines the way that the Vietnam war affects the lives of people in a small industrial town in the USA.

This two-disc set presents the film in 2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen with English and Spanish Stereo audio plus optional English, French and Spanish subtitles. Bonus features are TBC.

So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#12 of 63 Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted June 09 2005 - 04:43 AM

I don't really understand the logic of waiting to release an SE until just before HD comes in, if that really is one of the determining factors here. What's the advantage for the studios of doing that, as opposed to releasing these, say, two years ago?

#13 of 63 Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,238 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted June 09 2005 - 04:43 AM

um fellas fellas we've had a 2-disc Deer Hunter on region 2 for a couple of years now, is this the same copy I wonder. And thanks to the wonders of PAL speed-up it's half an hour shorter too! Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#14 of 63 Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

• 1,825 posts

Posted June 09 2005 - 04:51 AM

Netflix has been listing Deer Hunter as September for about a month. I wonder how they get their info.
My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @ DVDSpot

#15 of 63 Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann

Producer

• 3,515 posts

Posted June 09 2005 - 05:05 AM

The logic is mostly the desire to unleash as much popular product on SD DVD, before they release HD editions. It isn't all that much different than releasing a barebones DVD, then following it up a few months to a year later with a special edition. It is an opportunity to get people to double dip.

In addition, keep in mind the majority of consumers have very little to no knowledge of plans for a new generation DVD technology. Studios know that even if they are not going to rush out and buy this new technology it will likely keep them from buying as many current DVDs with the idea that at some point they will switch. Thus studios are very anxious right now to get as much popular product out there as possible.

The reality of course is that standard DVD will likely outsell HiDef DVD for many years to come, but I'm sure we will see an impact on sales of standard DVDs simply because of the perception many consumers will have that they will eventually switch and thus wont want to invest as much in standard DVD as they have in the past.

Quote:
um fellas fellas we've had a 2-disc Deer Hunter on region 2 for a couple of years now, is this the same copy I wonder.
That's Warner's edition, as they own the rights to DH for R2. Universal owns the rights for R1. It will be interesting to see how the two compare.

#16 of 63 Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted June 09 2005 - 05:10 AM

The thing I'm wondering about with big titles like this, where SEs were sure to be big sellers no matter when they released them (I'm sure The Sting falls into that category), is why they would have waited at all. I guess I don't quite see why these would fall into the "ok, let's go ahead and get it out before HD comes in" category. They could have gone for the double dip several years ago and still made as much money, I would think.

#17 of 63 Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann

Producer

• 3,515 posts

Posted June 09 2005 - 05:39 AM

I would agree, but only the folks at Universal know for sure why they didn't.

Several studio execs like Peter Staddon at Fox and George Feltenstein at Warner have said on several occasions that even when they own the rights to a film and they know it is a popular and often requested title, there can be several reasons why it takes a very long time for them to release it.

Studios may have a lot of money, but their physical resources, especially when it comes to working on older films and special edition DVDs with features that have not been produced can take as much and even more than two years even after getting the green light.

It is easy to understand the frustration fans have when they see so many DVD releases, and yet their favorite film(s) has(have) yet to be released on DVD or receive a special edition treatment, but many also do not realize how complicated certain releases can be and the issues that effect whether or not or when a title gets released.

What is certain is that the studios must feel under the gun right now to get a lot of these titles out before interest in standard DVD dies down, which could be in as little as two or three years.

#18 of 63 Mark VH

Mark VH

Stunt Coordinator

• 161 posts

Posted June 09 2005 - 05:56 AM

This is, of course, sensational news (although I'd argue that the news regarding The Sting should have at least been included in the thread title). This Legacy Series sounds like a pretty sweet deal, although it seems a bit late to be introducing something like this into the marketplace. Is it pushing our luck to speculate that they're planning on releasing - gulp - Double Indemnity under this banner?

#19 of 63 Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted June 09 2005 - 06:00 AM

See the end of this thread for some celebration regarding The Sting. Posted Image Maybe I should have linked to that in the first post of this thread.

#20 of 63 Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann

Producer

• 3,515 posts

Posted June 09 2005 - 06:16 AM

Quote:
This Legacy Series sounds like a pretty sweet deal, although it seems a bit late to be introducing something like this into the marketplace.
Even more odd is that the only previous Legacy collection releases from Universal were the Monster Classics DVDs:

[c]Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image[/c]

Forum Nav Content I Follow