Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Fox Horror Titles

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#1 of 38 OFFLINE   Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted June 08 2005 - 12:17 PM

20th Century Fox has set The Cabinet of Caligari, The Doctor and the Devils, Dressed to Kill (1941), The House on Haunted Hill (1958), The Innocents, Killer Tomatoes Eat France!, Killer Tomatoes Strike Back and The Omen 4: The Awakening for release on 9/6.

I am asumming THE INNOCENTS is the Deborah Kerr version.

#2 of 38 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted June 08 2005 - 01:28 PM

Dressed To Kill is a surprising title to see.
its a private dick movie, not a horror film.
i'll definitely be picking it up (used to have a big crush on Mary Beth Hughes- otherwise known as a budget Lana Turner).
The Mike Shayne movies were pretty fun from what i recall. would be nice to see the rest of the series.
Sleepers West was another good one.

don't really understand the motivation to release yet another version of House On Haunted Hill.
Warner had the definitive transfer out there, and even if thats out of print, the thing is on like 4 or 5 PD labels all with at least watchable quality.

apart from The Innocents, not much there that i can see although i realize everything has its fans.

#3 of 38 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,156 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted June 08 2005 - 01:31 PM

Great news about THE INNOCENTS but....

As Paul said, DRESSED TO KILL is no where near a horror film. They expect this to sell but not Charlie Chan? Hey Fox, if you're going to push DTK as a horror film then you could push CHARLIE CHAN AT THE OPERA as a horror film since it does have a horror star in Boris Karloff in it. Horror fans are more likely to buy a film with Karloff than the unknown DTK.

With HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL, hopefully people will just buy the Warner edition or one of the many public domain releases. I'm guessing this Fox version is going to be the colorized one? Wasted time if you ask me.

Fox has plenty of great gems in their hands so why they release some of this stuff makes me think someone there doesn't know anything about the genre or anything about what they own. Hopefully Anchor Bay or Criterion will pick some of this stuff up.

Hopefully CABINET is the remake and not a colorized version of the silent film, which again, is on countless PD labels and have a great version out there from Kino. Even if this is the remake, are they expecting this to sell better than some of the better known stuff?

#4 of 38 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,477 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted June 08 2005 - 02:39 PM

House on Haunted Hill and Dressed to Kill will be Legend Films colorizations.

It will be interesting to see if they correctly matte for their colorization. That new My Man Godfrey DVD utilized the same Universal transfer as Criterion's DVD (except with color added), so I wonder if LF will somehow use Warner's 16x9 transfer.

#5 of 38 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,156 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted June 08 2005 - 02:59 PM

Is DRESSED TO KILL going to be the 1941 version or the Holmes version? The post lists 1941 but is that a typo?

There's a second widescreen HOUSE out there but it appears to be matted wrong. All four sides are missing info compared to the Warner release.

#6 of 38 OFFLINE   Bob Graham

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor

• 506 posts

Posted June 08 2005 - 03:35 PM

CABINET OF CALIGARI is the 60's remake (note that the title is not THE CABINET OF DR CALIGARI which is the title of the silent classic). I've never seen it, it's rarely shown, so I'm glad it's coming to DVD. Same thing with THE DOCTOR AND THE DEVILS.

#7 of 38 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,293 posts

Posted June 08 2005 - 04:19 PM

As Paul said, the 1941 "Dressed to Kill" film is the Lloyd Nolan/Michael Shayne film. Since Fox is apparently fond of releasing colorized product I'm betting this is a typo and the film being released is a colorized version of the public domain 1946 Holmes film. Naturally most Holmes fans already have the far superior DVD from MPI using UCLA's restoration so why they'd bother with this abomination (if it turns out to be a colorized film) I don't know. Fox released another colorized PD Holmes film not too long ago.

I'm not at all impressed that Fox decided that "Killer Tomatoes Eat France" or any of the colorized versions of PD product that is already available elsewhere in countless versions are more salable or more deserving titles than the Charlie Chan films. In my opinion, that is beyond shameful.

If you want to know why Fox was in 6th place in Robert Harris' 2004 report card of Classic film on DVD this announcement tells you all you need to know.

Steve
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#8 of 38 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,477 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted June 08 2005 - 06:42 PM

Quote:
I'm not at all impressed that Fox decided that "Killer Tomatoes Eat France" or any of the colorized versions of PD product that is already available elsewhere in countless versions are more salable or more deserving titles than the Charlie Chan films. In my opinion, that is beyond shameful.

Yeah, it's kind of weird how the Chan films aren't on DVD because "they'd lose their shirt" on them. I'd hope the best Charlie Chans would make more money than a Killer Tomatoes flick!

Although, perhaps it's the fear of agitation by self-righteous P.C. goons.

#9 of 38 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted June 08 2005 - 09:34 PM

Hey Fox, if you're listening -- how about DR. RENAULT'S SECRET( 1942) and THE UNDYING MONSTER (1942)?

#10 of 38 OFFLINE   Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted June 09 2005 - 12:11 AM

Great news about The Innocents!!

Somewhat interested in Cabinet of Dr Caligari and The Doctor & the Devils.

I was hoping that Fox would release The Other, The Lost World or The Mephisto Waltz as well. Well, maybe next year.

#11 of 38 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted June 09 2005 - 12:19 AM

Fantastic news re: The Innocents

Hopefully that long awaited Fly SE makes it out before Halloween.

Still have huge holes in my classic Horror selection that need to be filled by Universal, Warner (anxiously awaiting that Lewton Collection) & Columbia.
Death before Streaming!

#12 of 38 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted June 09 2005 - 12:47 AM

Mephisto Waltz-
i was trying to think of other genre product Fox owned and forgot about this- yeah i would have loved to have seen this too.

if DTK is the Mike Shayne movie, but colorized, i may have to pass (as much as i would hate to).
this is 2005. colorization is so 1980's.

thank God Fox has the good grace to have deals going with both Criterion and Anchor Bay at the moment.
hopefully that will continue.

#13 of 38 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted June 09 2005 - 01:04 AM

just saw on DVDDrive-in.com that a couple other 40s Sherlock Holmes movies are being released as well
-SHERLOCK HOLMES: PRELUDE TO MURDER (1946) and TERROR BY NIGHT (1946).

DTK '41 must be a typo.

#14 of 38 OFFLINE   Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 880 posts

Posted June 09 2005 - 01:26 AM

Great news about "The Innocents"!
Perhaps there's hope yet for "The Other" and "Mephisto Waltz".
Ken

#15 of 38 OFFLINE   Mario Gauci

Mario Gauci

Screenwriter

• 2,201 posts

Posted June 09 2005 - 02:15 AM

I'm ecstatic about Fox finally releasing THE INNOCENTS (1961) and I second your request for THE UNDYING MONSTER (1942), Joe! By the way, I've never watched either of these 2 movies so, Fox, I thank you for the former but please help me out on the latter...Posted Image

#16 of 38 OFFLINE   Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,648 posts

Posted June 09 2005 - 02:35 AM

THE INNOCENTS (finally!) and CABINET OF CALIGARI!!! Woo hoo!!! Both will be mine! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

I'm not all that surprised to see that Sherlock Holmes DRESSED TO KILL release; not just because it's a Legend Films colorization job, but also think back to Fox's September 2004 catalog slate... THE BOSTON STRANGLER (1968) was in that batch. That was a crime drama, not a horror flick (quite a good film, though).

Just speculation on my part, but I could easily see MEPHISTO WALTZ and THE OTHER licensed out to Anchor Bay in the future, as they seem to have affinity towards Fox's 1970s-era catalog.

Hmmm... THE ALLIGATOR PEOPLE in Fox's September 2004 batch, CABINET OF CALIGARI in the September 2005 bundle... I predict the September 2006 Fox catalog slate will include an anamorphic widescreen edition of CURSE OF THE FLY (1965).

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)

#17 of 38 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,269 posts

Posted June 09 2005 - 03:44 AM

HOO-RAY for THE INNOCENTS and the CALIGARI remake!!!

The others not so much, but THE INNOCENTS is such a marvelous movie. Finally!!

#18 of 38 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,066 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted June 09 2005 - 05:00 AM

I'm so glad that THE DOCTOR AND THE DEVILS will finally be getting a decent widescreen release. This extremely Hammerish release (no accident with Hammer vet Freddie Francis at the helm) is a highly underrated period horror film in my opinion, and would make a great double-feature with THE FLESH AND THE FIENDS.

#19 of 38 OFFLINE   Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted June 09 2005 - 05:17 AM

Fox Searchlight is remaking THE FLY for 2006 release. It is also the 20th Aniversary of the David Cronenberg version. I would imagine THE FLY (1986) will be released sometime next year along with the 50's versions and THE FLY II.

#20 of 38 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,156 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted June 09 2005 - 06:29 AM

With Universal's announcements today it really makes Fox look bad. It will get worse for them when Warner announces their titles as well as MGM. If someone from Fox is reading this I really hope they take a look at how Warner and Universal package their films together or look at the Midnite Movies from MGM.