Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF Review: Jaws - 30th Anniversary Edition

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#1 of 158 OFFLINE   Jason Perez

Jason Perez

Second Unit

• 310 posts

Posted June 07 2005 - 03:56 PM

Padawan Learner in the Mystical Art of Home Theater!

Display Tweaked to Perfection by Calibrator Extraordinaire Gregg Loewen!

#2 of 158 OFFLINE   Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,815 posts

Posted June 07 2005 - 04:06 PM

I am a purist, and I'd like to hear how the mono track sounds. Some other early reviews indicated that it sounded highly compressed. I really wish you'd have given it at least the same attention you gave to the remixed tracks, since the mono track is how JAWS was originally released in the first place, and it's presence on this new release has been cited by many as one of their main reasons to buy it. Vincent

#3 of 158 OFFLINE   Jason Perez

Jason Perez

Second Unit

• 310 posts

Posted June 07 2005 - 04:19 PM

No worries Vincent! I will go back and give it a thorough listen...any excuse to watch Jaws again is a good one. I will update the review once I have done so. Regards, Jason
Padawan Learner in the Mystical Art of Home Theater!

Display Tweaked to Perfection by Calibrator Extraordinaire Gregg Loewen!

#4 of 158 OFFLINE   Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,815 posts

Posted June 07 2005 - 04:20 PM

Thanks Jason Posted Image

Otherwise, cool review. I never bought the 25th Anniversary Edition, so I'll likely be picking this up.

Vincent

#5 of 158 OFFLINE   James Luckard

James Luckard

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted June 07 2005 - 05:50 PM

I hate this new trend of dumping trailers off DVDs. I know it's so they don't have to pay a second time for the music they used, but it's infuriating. Now I'll probably have to hold onto the 25th Anniversary Edition as well, since the trailers were pretty good as I remember, and it'd only fetch maybe $5 used. Since Minority Report, none of Spielberg's DVDs have included the trailers, which have been great, and now that they've made it so you can't save Quicktime files easily, it takes me ages to figure out how to download them from the websites - though I always do. I've got to say I'm thankful for the handful of sites that post links to the actual files of trailers, instead of the pages the trailers are embedded on.

#6 of 158 OFFLINE   Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,490 posts

Posted June 07 2005 - 06:24 PM

Didn't invest in any of the other DVDs because I hoped a super cool version would come out. Ta-da! Yeah, it would be nice to have the trailer included, but I'm not too sure why this would prevent someone from buying it. Prevent an upgrade, sure. And for some, I can see keeping the old disc for the trailer and then upgrading for the new extras and mono track. But seriously... I hardly even watch trailers when they are included. While cool, it's just not going to make or break a deal for me. An acclaimed 2-hour documentary on the making of the film, however, is a premium extra... and it sells me on this edition. I'll be picking it up next Tuesday. Thanks for the review!

#7 of 158 OFFLINE   Tony Scello

Tony Scello

Second Unit

• 318 posts

Posted June 08 2005 - 12:41 AM

Very nice review, Jason. It sounds like Universal has finally given their customers what they have been asking for (full documentary, original mono track, etc) and didn't get in the previous DVD release (better late than never, I guess). The release date couldn't come soon enough for me!
"Something beyond comprehension is happening to a little girl on this street, in this house. A man has been called for as a last resort to try and save her. That man is The Exorcist."

#8 of 158 OFFLINE   greg_t

greg_t

Screenwriter

• 1,654 posts

Posted June 08 2005 - 01:17 AM

I would think it would sound compressed. It is most likely at a 192kbps bitrate. Compare that to the mono track on the laserdisc which is uncompressed PCM at 1411kbps.

#9 of 158 OFFLINE   Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted June 08 2005 - 01:34 AM

I, like Vincent_P, was stunned and disappointed that the review glanced right over the point for which most of us have been waiting for this release--the original mono track. I'm quite pleased the reviewer will be correcting this transgression soon...
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#10 of 158 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,776 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 08 2005 - 04:49 AM

I can't wait to get this disc. It's one of my favorite movies and I can't wait to see the full documentary again and have the mono soundtrack. Less than a week!

#11 of 158 OFFLINE   Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted June 08 2005 - 05:19 AM

James, Do you have any links to a website with the Jaws theatrical trailers? It sucks that they're not on this new DVD, but everything else about it seems so great that I'll have to pick it up anyway.
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#12 of 158 OFFLINE   Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted June 08 2005 - 05:23 AM

Thanks for the heads up on the trailer. I too will keep the 25th aniv edition in addition to getting this new edition. Why does UNIVER$AL think nobody will like trailers?

#13 of 158 OFFLINE   ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted June 08 2005 - 08:29 AM

I would like to see the tv trailers....Jaws was the first major movie to use tv trailers so effectively.

#14 of 158 OFFLINE   ClaytonMG

ClaytonMG

Stunt Coordinator

• 180 posts

Posted June 08 2005 - 08:46 AM

I personally love the trailers. Every Friday there's a group gathering at my house where we watch movies and I actually use previews (to give it a more theater like feel) and I am always upset when they're not included. I will not be buying this 30th Anniversary Disc since I just bought the 25th Anniversary DTS disc for $10 and it even has the trailers. Clayton

#15 of 158 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted June 08 2005 - 09:39 AM

I think the trailers sould have been included too, but "not" buying the set because of their absence is just something I can't understand. We're getting so much other material, how can not having the trailers make everything else expendable?

#16 of 158 OFFLINE   Neal K

Neal K

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted June 08 2005 - 10:42 AM

I would love to hear from somebody who is able to compare the superb mono track quality on the old LD release with the new DVD. Thanks for the review, by the way!

#17 of 158 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,498 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted June 08 2005 - 01:11 PM

I'm buying this for the documentary. Oh sure, Jaws is a fine movie, but I've heard that the full length doc was one of the best produced for the laser disc days. I enjoyed the truncated version, can't wait to see the full length!

#18 of 158 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,585 posts

Posted June 08 2005 - 03:51 PM

I, too, am disappointed about the lack of the trailers, but it won't keep me from buying this (of course, I'm sure that's the reasoning). However, as I said in another thread, I don't think they can use the music licensing excuse on this one, since the music on the trailers was all from the film itself.

Still looking forward to the release, though. Posted Image
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#19 of 158 OFFLINE   James Luckard

James Luckard

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted June 08 2005 - 05:28 PM

These are the two sites I use with direct links to trailer files, they're mainly recent films, I doubt Jaws would be among them:

http://www.davestrailerpage.co.uk/

http://www.themoviebox.net/trailers/

#20 of 158 OFFLINE   Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

• 1,065 posts

Posted June 08 2005 - 07:21 PM

The main reason to own this version of the movie is the inclusion of the original mono soundtrack. Now we learn it's compressed? Great, just what we need, a warbly soundtrack that only contains the sound as it was originally meant to be heard in theaters. I guess we'll just have to live with that awful re-mix, and my least favorite sound of glass breaking...you heard right (when the tank explodes) instead of the original great sound of the bullet ricocheting. Oh well, we'll probably have to triple dip on this one somewhere down the line.
I'm a classic TV fan. Widescreen? What's that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users