Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Laserdisc shipping questions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor

• 551 posts

Posted June 06 2005 - 10:56 AM

I didn't know where else to ask this question. I need to ship three laserdiscs to a buyer. The UPS Store, Kinko's, and the post office didn't have sufficient packaging to ship them in. In fact only the UPS Store had a bubble wrapped package big enough, but it was too big and I didn't want them sliding around. Where can I get packaging to ship them?

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   ZackR

ZackR

Supporting Actor

• 611 posts

Posted June 06 2005 - 11:05 AM

I have purchased from www.centralpack.com before for laserdisc boxes and they worked great. That was a while back though, but I assume they are still reliable...
You'll Believe A Man Can Fly
DVDAF

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Ed Guetzow

Ed Guetzow

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted June 06 2005 - 11:09 AM

Howdy,

This may sound funny but you could try a large pizza box from a local pizza vendor. Then just pad the insides and wrap the outside. Posted Image

See you,
Ed G.

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,761 posts

Posted June 06 2005 - 12:55 PM

I've gotten LPs (same size as LDs) shipped to me in pizza boxes, and it was fine. As a buyer, I would have no problem receiving LDs well-packed in a (new/clean) pizza box.

DJ

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Robert Hutchison

Robert Hutchison

Stunt Coordinator

• 50 posts

Posted June 06 2005 - 01:13 PM

Check out Bags Unlimited at bagsunlimied.com. They have mailers for LP's for sale. Same size as Laserdiscs.

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC

Producer

• 3,729 posts

Posted June 06 2005 - 03:32 PM

Whatever you do, do not put LDs in a bubble mailer or anything flexible. If you are going to be sending them Priority Mail, one disc will fit on the diagonal in one of the larger sizes of Priority Mail box, but it must be very well padded to avoid damage. It's true that pizza boxes do work. Note that the heavy disc, if left to slide around during shipment, will punch through the inner sleeve and frequently the jacket: cushion, wrap tightly, and [if it's going a long way] perhaps take it from the jacket and put it in one of those plastic "U" sleeves with the corners folded down and taped shut, and bundle it with the jacket.

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor

• 551 posts

Posted June 06 2005 - 05:50 PM

Those places sell in higher quantities than I really want to pay for. I have enough junk laying around as it is =) I was hoping some place local I hadn't thought of might have what I'm looking for.

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted June 07 2005 - 12:43 AM

Quote:
Note that the heavy disc, if left to slide around during shipment, will punch through the inner sleeve and frequently the jacket...

What Christopher said...

"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,891 posts

Posted June 07 2005 - 01:57 AM

In the 1990's, I remember people selling "new" LDs (supposedly still in original shrinkwrap), but when it came time to pack them up for shipment, they insisted on taking the LD out of the original shrinkwrapping, and then putting the LD on the outside of the cardboard jacket cover,and wrapping it up with plastic wrap and padding in that manner to alleviate punch-through by the LD into the cardboard during transit if the LD was left to slide around inside the jacket. How they convinced people that what they were buying was new, and not slightly used, is beyond me. Posted Image
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   MikeEckman

MikeEckman

Screenwriter

• 1,087 posts

Posted June 07 2005 - 02:01 AM

I ordered one from a seller on ebay once, and believe it or not, he shipped it to me in an inside-out pizza box. It was a clean box so I didnt have any grease in it, and he just jammed it full with newspaper and padding, and then taped the heck out of the outside of it. The disc came to me with no problems whatsoever!
Mike Eckman
Chicago Heights, IL
Music Webpage: http://www.metalreviewcentre.com
Car Webpage: http://www.metalrevi...com/transam.htm

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted June 07 2005 - 06:49 AM

I used to sell a lot of laserdiscs on Ebay.

The best boxes I found were at Bagsunlimited.com. The LP mailers they are now called (they used to be called laserdisc mailers, but they've been forgotten). They come in several sizes, some hold one, some five or so, up to 20. Around $1 a box.

Just wrap them in bubble wrap and put them in the box. Very easy and safe to ship.

One thing you will find, laserdisc buyers are some of the most particular out there. When I sold them, I would sometimes get detailed instructions from the buyers on how to ship. Plus, one little ding, and you would get negative feedback.

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor

• 551 posts

Posted June 07 2005 - 07:15 AM

Bags unlimited has exactly what I'm looking for, but again, I don't want to buy in quantities of 10 when I only need to send one shipment. Perhaps I'll look into the pizza box idea. If anyone has used this method did you just go to a pizza place and ask to buy an empty box Posted Image