Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

That's my Mama

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#1 of 36 OFFLINE   Antonio_G

Antonio_G

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted June 06 2005 - 02:50 AM

I heard over at sitcomsonline message board that That's my Mama: Season 1 & 2 will be coming out late summer/ early fall and I hope this is not true because their are shows that need to be on tv box set before this one...

#2 of 36 OFFLINE   Dorrie_W

Dorrie_W

Stunt Coordinator

• 110 posts

Posted June 06 2005 - 08:02 AM

Well dont hate on "That's My Mama" because there are other shows that you feel need to be out before that show. I can think of a dozen shows I personally think could have waited that are on DVD while my favorites ("The Facts of Life" "Mr. Belvidere" "Growing Pains," "Family Ties," ) still have hit the streets. I personally would purchase "That's My Mama" because I liked that show. I guess there is something for everyone in the TV on DVD market.
Dorrie webmaster for
www.imissthe80s.com
Celebrity interviews
www.thabiz.com

#3 of 36 OFFLINE   StacyV

StacyV

Second Unit

• 282 posts

Posted June 06 2005 - 08:33 AM

Quote:
I heard over at sitcomsonline message board that That's my Mama: Season 1 & 2 will be coming out late summer/ early fall and I hope this is not true because their are shows that need to be on tv box set before this one...

Why hope that it's not true just because there are other shows you think should be on dvd first? If anything, this should be looked at as a positive sign that titles generally perceived as less popular will eventually be released to go along with all the expected ones.

#4 of 36 OFFLINE   Antonio_G

Antonio_G

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted June 06 2005 - 11:20 AM

I wasn't born about that time and I feel that their are tv box set should come out before this one...

#5 of 36 OFFLINE   JeffCNY

JeffCNY

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted June 06 2005 - 11:46 AM

"That's My Momma" on DVD??

Don't worry yet...

However, when complete season boxed sets of "Small Wonder," "She's the Sheriff" and "Mr. Belvedere" are announced, it'll be a sure sign that the apocalypse is right around the corner!

Duck and Cover...

Jeff

#6 of 36 OFFLINE   JeffWld

JeffWld

Stunt Coordinator

• 235 posts

Posted June 06 2005 - 03:10 PM

Quote:
I wasn't born about that time and I feel that their are tv box set should come out before this one...

...so anything broadcast before you were born isn't worthy of being released ahead of shows that you have deemed to be more recent and deserving? Interesting modern-day perspective.

#7 of 36 OFFLINE   Antonio_G

Antonio_G

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted June 07 2005 - 01:11 AM

I think any show before my time is worthy of being released but I don't know nothing about this show but I know the black men is also on Amen which I would also like to see that on box set but time will tell...

#8 of 36 OFFLINE   Michael Alden

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted June 11 2005 - 05:29 AM

Perhaps you shouldn't be commenting in this post then if you don't have anything positive to contribute. We don't take a hankerin' to negativity around these here parts, pardner.

#9 of 36 OFFLINE   Amy Mormino

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor

• 537 posts

Posted June 13 2005 - 04:01 AM

Well, this show was officially announced today. It got me to thinking that there have actually been a lot of 70s and 80s sitcoms featuring black casts released. And a lot of them (Sanford and Son, Good Times, What's Happening) have seen all or most of their seasons released. I think it may be because these are shows that attract both white and black buyers which perhaps gives them an edge over shows like Facts of Life, Family Ties, and Who's the Boss?

In any case, every show has its fans, so I don't begrudge any release.

#10 of 36 OFFLINE   StacyV

StacyV

Second Unit

• 282 posts

Posted June 13 2005 - 11:25 AM

Quote:
And a lot of them (Sanford and Son, Good Times, What's Happening) have seen all or most of their seasons released. I think it may be because these are shows that attract both white and black buyers which perhaps gives them an edge over shows like Facts of Life, Family Ties, and Who's the Boss?

I sort of understand what you mean with that statement, but that's not to suggest that Facts, Family and Boss didn't garner a fair share of Black viewers who'd also be willing to purchase those shows too.

#11 of 36 OFFLINE   Rob P S

Rob P S

Screenwriter

• 1,995 posts

Posted June 13 2005 - 02:05 PM

Quote:
However, when complete season boxed sets of "Small Wonder," "She's the Sheriff" and "Mr. Belvedere" are announced, it'll be a sure sign that the apocalypse is right around the corner!

Posted Image

So what do you think should be released instead?

#12 of 36 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted June 13 2005 - 03:03 PM

Quote:
I think any show before my time is worthy of being released but I don't know nothing about this show but I know the black men is also on Amen which I would also like to see that on box set but time will tell...
That black man was Clifton Davis, who was good on That's My Mama (a sitcom that was within my time since I was 7 when it first aired in 1975). It wasn't that good a show, however, and on THAT basis it doesn't have much value for sale on DVD.

Amen should be released. In 1986, one year after The Jeffersons ended after 11 seasons, Sherman Hemsley played a very similar role as the scheming and underhanded Ernie Frye, the deacon of a Philadelphia church on Amen! The show lasted about 5 years and had nearly 90 year-old Jester Hairston as quick-witted and very likeable Rollie -- one of the parishoners of the church. Hairston's TV career went back to the early 1950s in Amos & Andy, and by the time Amen was cancelled in 1991 he was the oldest actor on American television.

Clifton Davis, who was the Reverend on Amen retired from show business and actually became a preacher in real life after the series was cancelled.

#13 of 36 OFFLINE   Antonio_G

Antonio_G

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted June 15 2005 - 03:51 AM

I'm glad that one show that we will never think of coming out on box set is....

#14 of 36 OFFLINE   Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco

Screenwriter

• 2,462 posts

Posted June 16 2005 - 08:20 AM

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0204389/

FYI, Clifton Davis didn't retire from show business to become a preacher. He was an ordained Seventh Day Advantist pastor, and is now a Baptist pastor.

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/amen.html

Actor Clifton Davis, best known as the star of the 1984 series That's My Mama, was also a real-life minister. While appearing in the top-rated Amen he served as assistant pastor at the Loma Linda, Calif., Seventh-Day Adventist Church.

Studios, caption your internet streams.

#15 of 36 OFFLINE   Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted June 17 2005 - 08:58 AM

After "What's Happening" was sucessfully revived in syndication with new episodes, they tried to sell the idea of "That's My Mama Now!". I remember the ads in the trade papers at the time.

I've read a pilot show was produced but nothing ever came of it. That would have been a nice extra.

#16 of 36 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted June 17 2005 - 03:37 PM

Quote:
FYI, Clifton Davis didn't retire from show business to become a preacher. He was an ordained Seventh Day Advantist pastor, and is now a Baptist pastor.
Preacher or Pastor. Reverend or Father. Same meanings -- different denominations perhaps. Most people who are not religious like myself use the terms interchangeably. Posted Image

#17 of 36 OFFLINE   Shawn_C

Shawn_C

Stunt Coordinator

• 68 posts

Posted June 18 2005 - 08:32 AM

I have never seen the show before, but I will be picking it up when it is released.

#18 of 36 OFFLINE   Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco

Screenwriter

• 2,462 posts

Posted June 21 2005 - 07:41 AM

Jeff#, I think you missed the point of my clarification, which apparently didn't clarify anything for you at all. Posted Image I'll try again. Clifton Davis did not retire to become a pastor. First, he didn't retire at all. Second, he was a paster while he was doing the show.
Studios, caption your internet streams.

#19 of 36 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,314 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted June 21 2005 - 08:58 AM

Quote:
After "What's Happening" was sucessfully revived in syndication with new episodes, they tried to sell the idea of "That's My Mama Now!". I remember the ads in the trade papers at the time.

I've read a pilot show was produced but nothing ever came of it. That would have been a nice extra.

It would, but Sony seems not to know of the existence of many of these unaired pilots, and even if they do, they don't bother to include them (All in the Family and Married with Children both have unaired pilots which still exist and are MIA on DVD).

FYI, as I mentioned before in another thread, the show would have had Ted Lange playing Clifton Davis's part, as he was committed to "Amen."

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#20 of 36 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted June 21 2005 - 03:42 PM

For the most part Clifton Davis did retire from show biz, but he made an acting comeback in 1999 as the Mayor in "Any Given Sunday" and was seen in other movies as recently as last year.

I noticed from his IMDB bio that Davis also composed music for such films as Spike Lee's "Crooklyn" and the Ben Stiller / Owen Wilson comedy remake of "Starsky & Hutch".

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow