What's new

Thinking about getting a projector... (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I've had my Panny 53WX42 for coming up on three years, and I think it's time for an upgrade. I'm currently living at my parents' house, and have the entire basement to set stuff up. I've been lurking in the Display forum here and at AVS, and the InFocus 4805 really seems to be the projector to beat. My uncle bought one recently, and he's been very happy with it (haven't had a chance to look at it myself). What are the downsides to that proj, and what would be the next step up?

At this point, money isn't really an issue, because I don't plan on actually purchasing anything for a few months...but the cheaper the better. What is the current best deal for the 4805? How much more money would I need to pay to get a projector that displays HD resolutions?

I'd really appreciate any guidance you guys can give me.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Here's another question...how far should I be sitting away. It looks like I have room to have the projector about 13.5' from the wall, and I would be sitting directly in front of where the projector will be mounted (12-13'). Will that be sufficient?

I was checking out the little screen size calculator on the InFocus website...and wowie. The screen will be damn near 4 times as big (surface area) as my current 53" TV! Which brings up another question...screen suggestions.

Again, I'm open to any kind of advice. Thanks!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Most recommend a max image size of 96 inches with the 4805 and at 13.5 feet you're right there. Most prefer sitting 1.75 to 2 times the screen width and that usually works out to be either just in front of or just behind the projector. If you're ceiling mounting then that gives you greater flexibility for seating.

InFocus is currently offering a 100.00 rebate, making the most commonly found price 999.00. Costco has it for that price without having to send in a rebate. TV Authority may be offering it for less, but you'll have to give them a call.

If the fan were quieter I would be happier with the 4805, but part of the problem is that I have it sitting on my coffee table. If I had the option of ceiling mounting then I probably wouldn't notice it so much. That's really the only down side I can think of after almost a year of ownership.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I have no problem what so ever with fan noise (low power). The unit is 3 feet or so directly above me, and I can barely hear it. My computer a couple of feet away and the fridge several feet away are just loud if not louder. But then again, I have only had mine since friday, and understand that the noise may increase in time.

What I do have a problem with is the tremendous amount of heat this thing outputs. That and having to close the west facing windows (light control) makes AC a must in my apt in this season.

--
H

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Thanks for the thoughts guys. What do you suggest I should do about a screen? Should I go DIY? If so, where do I buy the material and get a guide?

TIA!

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Matt,
My first theater was 12' x 14' and you can check it out here: Basement Theater I had a 92" DIY screen made out of blackout cloth that I purchased from a local cloth store for $28.00 and another $40.00 in lumber and paint. The projector was mounted overhead and I never heard it during a movie. When all else is quiet, I could hear it. My basement is always cool so the heat from the projector was welcome. :D The only downside that I had is the fact that it doesn't power down all the way when turned off. The fan still runs. So you need to put a switch on the outlet or purchase a remote control outlet cover. I am currently re-doing my theater twice that size and I am planning on a 120" screen with the same projector.
Dave

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
When I purchased my 4805 I got a 72" pull down screen rebate. I hung the pull down over 1/2 my DIY screen and watched Terminator 3 on both screens at the same time. I could not tell any difference in the picture quality. I understand that some pull downs eventually get wrinkles and if you have an AC duct near it might sway in the breeze. The down side to my DIY is it was permanently mounted on the wall and coulden't be easily moved. This time around I am planning to use paint. I see in this forum where lots of people use a pull down in front of a regular TV. I guess it depends a lot on your situation.
Dave

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I'm mainly thinking of that pulldown because of my cats. They're very active and love jumping and clawing at things. I would kill myself if one of them jumped up and scratched the hell out of a $600 screen. I'm leaning toward the $100 Draper Luna 106" screen. On the downside, it's a cheap one, but it also allows me to upgrade in the future without having too much money already sunk in. My uncle has this screen, so before I make any decisions, I plan on seeing his in action...but does it sound like that bad of a plan?

Here's another question...what about a ceiling mount? I was talking to my uncle, and he's unhappy with his, because it doesn't hold his projector sufficiently in place. If he bumps it when changing connections, he has to re-align it. Once again, I'm open to suggestions.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
There's a guy on AVS who created a mount, which seems to pretty popular. He was filling alot of orders, so I'm thinking it met people's needs.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
The Draper screen looks pretty good Matt. And for just $100 that's a great deal and no work on your part making or putting one together. It was fun doing mine in 2003 but it was very, very taxing and difficult.

In fact, yesterday I had to take it down and re-glue the Parkland Plastic screen I use. It was starting to bubble up in places. Hopefully, when it dries overnight, this will be ok.

Is the draper screen 16x9?

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Tim,
Yah...it's 16x9. The picture isn't right on the website. It's 16x9 and it has a black border. Seems to suit my needs well.

Guo,
Any idea where that thread is over at AVS?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Unless a new thread was created, it's buried in the HUGE 4805 thread under "Projectors under $3500."

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I see. Thanks!

I'm starting to get anxious :)

Now I just need to start cleaning up my basement to make room for it. And buy a futon or something ;)

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
HD projectors can be found for $2k. Is the ED enough for you for half the price, that's the question you need to ask yourself.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
At this point, it really seems hard to pass up the quality of the 4805 at the low price. I'd prefer to go HD, but it's not really in the budget right now. The fact that I hear the 4805 has great downconversion makes me lean toward it. And I won't be using the proj for HDTV at this point (though I know Blu-Ray/HDDVD are on the horizon).

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Matt, I may be ordering that screen along with you buddy. Last night I attempted to re-attach the parkland plastic screen I bought 2 years ago. A few bubbles starting popping up and so I took it off and re-glued. This morning, it's worse. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Also, Home Depot has raised the price to $20 for the screen and another $15 to attach it something solid.

$100 is more but I think I'm going to do this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks