What's new

I think I will buy the colorized Bewitched. (1 Viewer)

Tom_mkfty

Stunt Coordinator
Normally I am against coloriation of black and white classic movies and TV shows, but Bewitched is not classic enough as a black and white show.

But I would never buy Honeymooners, colorized.
(I should have put that here in the first place but was tired at the time.)

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I have to agree, if only for the simple fact that the first two seasons were the only seasons produced in B&W. Considering how close the new colorization process is to the real deal, it seems like a waste to purchase such a colorful and magical show as this in shades of gray, though I think it's commendable for Sony to offer both for the purists. :):emoji_thumbsup:

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I say wonderful... go for it! :) I have never been one to try to push my personal feelings onto others... I would give all details needed and let them make their own minds up. Which you obviously already know everything needed to know. :)

But I personally will opt for the original Black and White version :)

I agree 100% here! :emoji_thumbsup:

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I so wanted to not respond to this thread...

The problem isn't with the technology. The problem is with some contemporary technician's reinterpretation of the source, presenting the viewer with arbitrary colors from a black and white source that was lit and filtered specifically to be shown in black and white. Aside from the inherent inaccuracies of color and altered contrast ranges, it is an affront to the original artisans who captured this on film in the first place - classic or not.

I have no objections to people who want to buy the color version... but it isn't accurate to portray any colorization process as "close... to the real deal." It may look real, but it's merely an elaborate illusion - and one that may not jibe with the intent of the creator.

Personally, I'll stick with the black and white.

-Scott

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Does Sony offer any different extras on the color set that the B&W set doesn't have (or vice-versa)? If not, I think I'll get the B&W version since it's the version I've always seen and wouldn't want to experience the shock of seeing something painted green that was supposed to be pink.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
On Amazon the Black and White version is currently selling more than the faux color version. B&W is # 58 on DVD list and faux color is #189.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I've said this before, and I'll be darned if I'm not about to say it again.

I use BEWITCHED as my Prime Example of a Serious Flaw in Colorization.

It's the episode where Samantha breaks out in what they keep referring to as big GREEN spots.

I believe the colorization process tries to duplicate what was really there. Well, knowing the show was filmed in B&W, they didn't really put green spots on Elizabeth Montgomery -- they were black.

So, when the show is colorized, we don't see these big green spots they keep talking about -- we see black spots. Which is stupid. And so is colorizing black and white films. And so are -- whoops, I better stop right here -- I don't want to be banished to Mark To Land.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Very wise decision :D

Gary, Joe: I agree completely but I respect the "colorized" crowd as well. I'm just glad that both formats are getting released instead of only the colorized version. It'll be interesting to see the sales #'s if someone can dig them up after a few months of sales. I am surprised at the early Amazon #'s although pleased :) I'd have figured that most pre-orders would have gone for the color version. Maybe we're not the only "if it's made in B & W release it that way" crowd.

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
I think the results of this experiment will affect the future releases of B&W or mixed shows for many years to come.

If colour 'wins' they may not release Season 2 in colour, although if B&W 'wins' they probably have to do a split release next time so that those who bought a colour Season 1 won't have just 1 season in B&W.

If B&W 'wins', it'll be interesting if other split shows will have a choice, or if they'll just do the B&W seasons as B&W to save money.

If colour wins, I'm sure a lot of future split shows will be released ONLY in colour as a money-saving decision.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter

The colorized versions will have different language tracks that the b&w will not. So, for example, you can hear Samantha speak in Spanish. I think they did this for the syndication of the colorized episodes a few years ago.

This just answered another question that other people (including myself) were wondering about.

Some people were concerned that Sony would offer a greyscale version of the colorized episodes and pass it off as the b&w set.

The b&w consumers don't have to worry that their versions are the colorized version with the color turned off. Otherwise, it, too, would have the different language tracks as the colorized set if they were the same.

Now, the fact that the b&w set doesn't have alternative language tracks has me wondering if these episodes were remastered even longer before the colorized versions, and will there be any differences in the remastering besides the obvious colorization.

Patrick Soucy

Second Unit
Hey, why not buy the Color version, and only set your TV (I'm sure it's possible to do that) on B&W if you want, someday, view the show in B&W...?

Robert Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
The only reason why both the "Black and White" and "Colorized" versions are being released is because during the colorization craze, Bewitched was shown in that colorized format in syndication, so many people who were only able to see Bewitched during that time might be used to those colorized versions, therefore giving them the option to see it again in that format via DVD. Of course, the fans who watched Bewitched during the original run, viewers of Bewitched on TV Land, and the "purists" are well-aware that the first 2 seasons of Bewitched were aired in Black and White.

I'm not even sure if I'm going to buy Bewitched on DVD, but if I were to, I'd definitely get the Black and White version just to have the original format, just the way it was shown 40-41 years ago...uncut, unedited in any way (including colorization), and hopefully with the original intros for each episode.

Roman-K

Stunt Coordinator
Although I am not a bewitched fan, I would like to see both options in the same set. I have Gilligan's Island S1 and although I enjoy the B&W, I'd like to see the colored version as well. Personally I'd pay more if both formats were included, but I know it does not make sense from the business standpoint. I would be less likely to by 2 seperate sets, and in all honesty at the risk of being impeached, I'd buy the colorized one as long as it was uncut.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

It doesn't get you back to the true B&W image.

I find colorization an even bigger monstrosity than P&S, but it appears I'm in the minority here. I don't particularly care that both are being made available, but the day a studio drops the original version altogether is the day I don't buy the set. I'm afraid that's what's going to happen with I Dream of Jeannie.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I'm buying both sets. I'm a huge fan of the show, and sometimes watching the color episodes is a nice change of pace for me. Like seeing them again for the first time.

I'd be happy either way (one set or two), but one reason I think it's good that they're separate is because then true purists don't have to feel they're somehow "supporting" colorization if it's included in the same package.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I'm in the minority as well I guess, because to me this is as big a deal as OAR vs. MAR...using the argument that colorization techniques have been improved, that's like saying that the techniques used to come up with a P&S image have improved so it is ok to buy that version.

I'll stand by my proclaimation however that much like I don't have a problem with both OAr and MAR versions being available to the public, neither do I have a problem with this, but if I buy Bewitched it will be in the black and white, until we get to the seasons shot in color.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well I don't find it be a 'bigger' monstrosity than p&s, but it's nearly as bad.

I had no intention of buying this dvd (I enjoy catching the occasional episode on tv, but watched back to back to back, I just find the episodes too repetitive), but I'm seriously considering buying season 1 (black & white) just to vote against the ghastly colorization, and trying to find a relative I can give it to as a Christmas present.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks