Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Sin City SE to be released just before Christmas

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

#1 of 46 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted June 03 2005 - 08:26 AM

http://www.scifi.com....ory=3&id=31122

Quote:
Rodriguez said that he's working on the special DVD edition of the first Sin City, which is scheduled for release just before Christmas. He said the DVD will divide the movie into its three graphic-novel stories, with some extra footage. "You'll be able to see each story separately," he said. "You can watch Yellow Bastard, Big Fat Kill or Hard Goodbye, and there's a lot of behind-the-scenes featurettes being planned." One of his regular inclusions on his DVDs is a recipe, and this time he revealed that it will be Sin City breakfast tacos. "Too many people go to the dark side and go to the store and get store-bought tacos," he said. "This is my grandmothers' recipe with flour tortillas. The DVD will have a lot of cool stuff."

Really looking forward to watch this on dvd
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#2 of 46 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,187 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 03 2005 - 08:32 AM

That's cool that it's coming out before Christmas. I may just skip the release in August since it'll only be an extra 4 months or so of waiting. Posted Image

#3 of 46 OFFLINE   Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted June 03 2005 - 08:34 AM

Cool, thanks for the heads-up.

#4 of 46 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted June 03 2005 - 08:35 AM

Also in the same interview, RR talks about the sequel

#5 of 46 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted June 03 2005 - 08:54 AM

I hope the theatrical version will still be present in the SE.

#6 of 46 OFFLINE   CaseyL

CaseyL

Supporting Actor

• 803 posts

Posted June 03 2005 - 10:58 AM

TACOS!!!! Kick ASS!!!!

#7 of 46 OFFLINE   Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted June 03 2005 - 03:24 PM

Well I know what I'll be looking for under my Christmas tree.
"Oh I can hold my breath for a long, long time!"

http://www.dvdprofil....s=TromaFiend02

#8 of 46 OFFLINE   jonathan_govols

jonathan_govols

Stunt Coordinator

• 123 posts

Posted June 03 2005 - 05:49 PM

Quote from Paul P: I hope the theatrical version will still be present in the SE.

That's the big question on my mind. Surely the the theatrical cut will be there too. Same goes for the Kill Bill SE's hopefully coming soon.

I'd hate to have to double dip on the barebones discs just to have the theatrical cuts......or even skip the SE's and all the great special features just to have the original cuts.

#9 of 46 OFFLINE   CaseyL

CaseyL

Supporting Actor

• 803 posts

Posted June 04 2005 - 03:43 AM

Well I know what I'll be looking for under my Christmas tree.

Yeah, Breakfast Tacos!

Okay, Okay....I'll stop.Posted Image

#10 of 46 OFFLINE   ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait

Screenwriter

• 2,187 posts

Posted June 04 2005 - 04:23 AM

I too hope the theatrical version is on the SE. I would hate to have to buy the barebones disc in August just for that.

Early Christmas present to myself. Posted Image

#11 of 46 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,985 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted June 04 2005 - 04:39 AM

I would be really surprised if the SE doesn't include the theatrical cut, but I'm wondering how this would be presented? I remembr reading that at the time of filming they shot each story complete, and than cut it into the film as seen in theaters. With TYB being bookends to the film, I can't see how seemless branching would work, as it isn't simply adding in the missing parts, it would be re-working how the whole film is configured. could we expect disc 1 being the theatrical cut with special features, and a disc 2 with the complete stories?

I would love the cover art to be a new artwork from Frank Miller.

Depending on what leaks out, I'll probably grab the bare bones disc in aug as a previously viewed. I can usually grab PV titles for about $10, and flip them at pawn shops for $7, so no real loss, as it works out to less than a rental.

#12 of 46 OFFLINE   Mark_Mc

Mark_Mc

Agent

• 42 posts

Posted June 04 2005 - 08:30 AM

I've just seen this movie today, as it was just released in the UK yesterday, and, while being a HUGE Rodriguez fan, I've got mixed feelings about it.

Technically and visually I think it sets a new benchmark for how the latest technology, which many see as too sterile and 'clean' can be used to bring a gritty, true work of art to the screen. I've only recently bought and read the Sin City books, but I was continually awed at how Rodriguez and Miller reproduced the images from the page so faithfully.

The performances were spot on, by turns hard boiled, wise cracking and sassy, just like any great film noir should be.

But... overall the film left me pretty unmoved, and never really set my pulse racing. I for one will be more likely to skip the theatrical version and head straight for the DC.

I'm genuinely interested to see what the directors can achieve without the restraints of time limits and the MPAA. Here's hoping that a few extra minutes of story and character, along with a harder edge (though, admittedly, it's pretty strong stuff to begin with) can succeed where, for me at least, the theatrical cut failed.

#13 of 46 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted June 04 2005 - 08:33 AM

I noticed that Tarantino was a guest director. I am very curious indeed as which part he directed.

#14 of 46 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,187 posts

Posted June 04 2005 - 08:36 AM

Oscar, I may be wrong but I remember hearing QT directed the scene when
the head starts talking to Dwight when he's driving the car

Like I said, I could be wrong though.

#15 of 46 OFFLINE   Mark_Mc

Mark_Mc

Agent

• 42 posts

Posted June 04 2005 - 08:37 AM

Quote:
I noticed that Tarantino was a guest director. I am very curious indeed as which part he directed.

I believe it was:
The scene in Dwight's car where he imagines Jacky Boy coming back to life and taunting him

*EDIT* Travis just beat me to it :-)

#16 of 46 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted June 04 2005 - 08:39 AM

thanks for the quick replies

Posted Image

#17 of 46 OFFLINE   Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor

• 665 posts

Posted June 22 2005 - 10:17 AM

I got an advertisement for the August DVD at work yesterday and under "Special Features" it only says: "featurette". Lame, lame, lame. If it's movie-only, then it better be super-high bitrate. There's no excuses for the special edition looking better.

#18 of 46 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted August 11 2005 - 09:24 AM

here's more

http://dvd.ign.com/a...1/641160p1.html

Quote:
IGN: Knowing that there will eventually be multiple versions of a film released on DVD, how do you make sure that your audience is satisfied with each of those iterations?
Rodriguez: Well, usually I just put out one. With this one, they are already putting out one that comes out [August 16] that is just bare bones. I had not put anything extra on that, because I didn't have time to finish my DVD extras. They will put that out four months later because of piracy and stuff like that, and they actually don't put anything on there so that they know, 'well, this isn't the real DVD.'

The real DVD should come out fairly quick, [and] it's the one that will be obviously the double-disc set with all of the goodies on it. I mean, it has all kinds of stuff on there - I have a 20-minute Film School, a new Cooking School, Sin City Breakfast Tacos, and my favorite feature: when people watch DVDs, they complain 'oh, the only thing about home entertainment is you miss that audience experience.' Well, the best audience is in Austin, especially for a movie that was made there. We showed the premiere with the actors there in a 1500-seat theater, and they would go crazy and Sin City got a big reaction. I recorded the audience in 5.1 so if you're watching the DVD and you want to see it with an Austin audience on premiere night, you just click a button and they're all there going 'aaaah!' so it's really cool.

Quentin, when he was directing his sequence, he just let the tape roll when we were shooting, and the sequence taped for an hour, so there are some 20-minute uninterrupted takes. You see him wander in front of the camera and talk to the actors, and [he's] directing and you hear the whole sound of the set. It's like you're sitting right there on the set seeing the movie being shot from the point of view of the camera that's shooting the movie, uninterrupted, and it's really cool. You feel like you're right there, and you get to see what it's like to work with Quentin and the actors and how the movie actually gets made. [And] he will do a commentary on his section.

#19 of 46 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,187 posts

Posted August 11 2005 - 09:29 AM

Wow! I want the SE even more nowPosted Image

#20 of 46 OFFLINE   Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted August 11 2005 - 09:51 AM

This sounds like an AWESOME SE!!! Posted Image Posted Image

I'll definitely skip the bare-bones release and wait for this one.
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

Forum Nav Content I Follow