What's new

Ever stopped watching a good show because you couldn't stand ONE character? (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I am in the middle of Alias season 1. It's fairly entertaining so far... except for Vaughn. I absolutely positively cannot stand this punk. From his one note expressions (twist his mouth to the left + sad puppy brow) to his "I am Sidney's guardian angel and hope to get laid one day" attitude :thumbsdown:.

Even Marshall is not as irritating - a close second though.

I loathe this guy and hope he dies slowly and painfully. Of course, even if he ever does he will probably get to bone Sidney before.

Sucks.

I am not gonna stop the show, but I cringe whenever this fucker shows.

Sorry, just venting.

--
H

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I will tell you this much about Alias (with as little spoiler as possible) Vaughan ain't going away.
Personally, I never had a problem with Vaughan but I never had any love for him either.:)

I'm sure many people will complain about Kim in 24. "Wahhh the cougar part was stupid wahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!"

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I find it amusing that you can't stand Vaughn when the majority of fans in the first season were screaming bloody murder over the character of Will Tippin. They wanted him dead with a passion. :)

To answer your thread title question: Yes! Through odd circumstances I've already seen the pilot for Commander-in-Chief the new fall series starring Geena Davis. The guy who plays her over-the-top liberal male aide is enough to keep me from watching that show.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
My fiance' watches 7th Heaven. I can't because of the two blond twins, they're either gifted actors playing mongoloid retarded children, or just really really bad actors.

Either way it irks me to the point I can no longer tolerate the WB. Its infectious waste has leaked to the other shows.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Michael Ian Black was a HUGE part of why I stopped watching Ed. The show was too cutesy and full of other idiotic characters, but I'd hit the "skip 30 seconds" button every time he showed up.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

My wife used to watch that show, but she stopped because even she couldn't stand the acting. Not just the little kids -- you can't really blame them, you should blame the writers for giving such young kids such long lines -- but the entire cast is horrible, especially the guy who plays the cop.

As far as quitting a show over one character, I would think it would matter as to how large the cast is. If it's a show with 3-4 main characters, you hate about a third or a quarter of the show. But if it's something like LOST with a dozen or so main characters, it's not that bad.

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
I never watched a single episode of The Nanny because I cannot stand Fran Drescher's voice.

One day I was in Mexico, and realized it would be safe to watch an episode. Unfortunately, since I don't understand Spanish, I could not actually tell if the show is any good.

todd s

Senior HTF Member

A liberal president shown in a tv show. Wow thats original. :rolleyes:Not to start anything political..but, it might be interesting if she was a right leaning president. Do something different.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

Hey, 24 had a right leaning Prez this past season(well, technically more than one, but I won't go into spoilers for those who haven't seen it). Of course, neither of them were likable, so that probably isn't much of a help.

I'll tell you which character is slowly driving me away from a show. Seth Cohen on The O.C. And to think, a year ago he was the reason I was tuning in on a weekly basis. Memo to the writing staff: Seth is a great character when he's a geek, not when he thinks he's supercool.

todd s

Senior HTF Member

Thats part of my point. Whenever they are shown. They are not usually shown in a good light.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I don't recall Keeler as being presented in a particularly negative light this year. He ran a kind of scuzzy campaign last year, but he seemed decent and competent this season.

Of course, 24 has never really had "liberal" or "conservative" presidents, and has seemed to go out of the way to avoid affixing specific party labels to those characters.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

Well, Mackenzie Allen (Geena Davis) isn't a liberal, she ran as an Independent on a Republican ticket. The show is pretty much an equal opportunity offender, imho. The dying President is shown as a good ol' mysogynist, The Speaker of the House as a right wing zealot and Mackenzie's aide is an over the top ACLU liberal with Mackenzie somewhere in the middle of these polar extremes. Both of the surviving extreme characters are nothing more than stereotypical caricatures... somehow I expected more of Donald Sutherland than as an amalgamation of Snidely Whiplash and Dick Dastardly. He's probably wishing he could star in Buffy the Broadway Musical rather than this twaddle. :D

I actually missed out on Third Watch because of one of the police characters. The guy was such a jerk I didn't watch any episode after the pilot. My wife loved the show. I came close to doing the same with NCIS because of Denozo, but perhaps he'll grow up now that Kate had her brains blown out in front of him.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

Well he's supposed to be an unlikeable jerk. That way when the fecal matter hit the roatry oscillator for him near the end of the run, nobody had his back and he finally got to see himself as the ass he was.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I've consistently disliked the characters played by Mekhi Phifer - from TV to films. I tolerate him in Dawn of the Dead only because he gets what is coming to him. In ER he just kept hanging around, being an irresponsible jerk. Then it was the last straw when Ming Na hooked up with him. Actually though, he wasn't the only reason why I stopped watching ER, but he's reason enough.

The other person that seems to play characters I always dislke is Dina Meyer. I haven't liked any of her characters since the first time I saw her in anything - I believe it was Starship Troopers. Didn't like her in Friends, Miss Match, Birds of Prey...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks