Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

With Deep Throat revealed, will we finally get an SE of All the President's Men???

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 of 34 OFFLINE   Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit

• 496 posts

Posted June 01 2005 - 01:54 AM

Will the oft-rumoured All the President's Men finally see the light of day now that Mark Felt has revealed himself as Deep Throat?

And killer extras for this DVD would be to grab an interview/commentary with Felt before he dies....I would also love to see a new interview/commentary from Woodward and Bernstein with the new information regarding Felt.

There is such potential to make a killer SE for this title. They will just have to move on things fast before the 91 year-old Felt dies.......

#2 of 34 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,511 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted June 01 2005 - 02:25 AM

This could actually happen if WB jumped on it. According to the Vanity Fair article, one of the reasons Felt finally decided to "come out" was his daughter pointed out that they may be able to earn some money to pay off the bills from his grandchildren's college education.

But they need to hurry. According to the VF article & other reports Felt's mental acuity is declining. I hope someone gets the story from him before it's too late.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#3 of 34 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted June 01 2005 - 02:29 AM

If I had to guess, I'd say this interview won't happen which would be too bad because it would make the DVD a "MUST" buy.
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#4 of 34 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted June 01 2005 - 02:59 AM

i would love to see a decent remastering of it, let alone a SE (which is a no brainer on something like this with tons of historical material to access)
but i really don't need anything from Felt at this point- the guy is 91 and looks pretty frail.
an interview would be novelty value more than anything.

what i hope they include are things like Nixons resignation telecasts, presidential addresses/press conferences on the subject of watergate- an audio commentary by Woodward & Bernstien & Ben Bradlee is another no brainer (but those guys are fairly busy so it may be a long shot at getting them together at one time for the more than 2 hours it would take)

this could and should be an amazing package
wish it was on the shelf right now

#5 of 34 OFFLINE   Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit

• 496 posts

Posted June 01 2005 - 03:54 AM

I have heard that W&B had/have another book in the wings that they were sitting on until DT died. Now that felt has come out, I would assume this book will get released soon too. Maybe there is enough info within that W&B participation in the DVD would be more than enough.

#6 of 34 OFFLINE   R. Kay

R. Kay

Second Unit

• 308 posts

Posted June 01 2005 - 04:01 AM

Was Felt's name mentioned in the film itself?

#7 of 34 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,428 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted June 01 2005 - 04:04 AM

I believe the 2-disc SE is already in the works, if not completed. I seem to recall in the WB chat from a couple of months ago, they said 2-disc SE's of ATPM, Dog Day Afternoon and Network were coming within the next 12 months (ie by 3/31/06). Don't know how flexible the process is to allow new info.

#8 of 34 OFFLINE   Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted June 01 2005 - 04:05 AM

Quote:
Was Felt's name mentioned in the film itself?

I don't think so. I have the book, and he's not listed in the index.

#9 of 34 OFFLINE   Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit

• 496 posts

Posted June 01 2005 - 05:36 AM

The famous line from the movie....."Follow the Money".....was never actually in the book. It was added by the screenwriter....

Interesting tidbit.....

#10 of 34 OFFLINE   Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted June 01 2005 - 05:44 AM

It looks like Warner has another feature to add to the SE. Should be a great DVD.

#11 of 34 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,283 posts

Posted June 01 2005 - 06:20 AM

Warner is working on this DVD for year end
release.

I recall it was mentioned in the chat.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#12 of 34 OFFLINE   Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor

• 762 posts

Posted June 01 2005 - 11:20 AM

Thank you, Ron!

Input from DT himself... while it probably would be of no more than novelty value, as Paul mentioned, what a HELL of a great novelty.

The shape I'm in you could donate my body to science fiction! - Rodney Dangerfield, "Back to School"

#13 of 34 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,346 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted June 01 2005 - 02:01 PM

I was just looking at my ATPM dvd and checked out the "who is deep throat" extra. This is just a few paragraphs of text only. In one paragraph it mentions several of the chief suspects and the first name mentioned is none other than Felt.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#14 of 34 OFFLINE   ChristopherBlig

ChristopherBlig

Stunt Coordinator

• 205 posts

Posted June 01 2005 - 02:34 PM

would be nice if they retained the b/w circle W logo that was on the original print of the film just like MGM retained the b/w Transamerica logo for Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia
"RUN AWAY!!!! RUN AWAY!!!!"
(Monty Python and the Holy Grail)

My DVD Collection
My DVD Collection Too The 29 Days of Oscar are at dvdauthority.com...thanks again to all

#15 of 34 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,305 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted June 01 2005 - 05:12 PM

It's a strong possibility. Warner Bros. maintained the 70's logo on their Superman: Special Edition DVD.

#16 of 34 OFFLINE   ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait

Screenwriter

• 2,187 posts

Posted June 01 2005 - 05:23 PM

I would pick up a 2-disc SE of this movie in a heartbeat. I hope the supplements will reflect current events.

#17 of 34 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted June 01 2005 - 07:30 PM

Haven't Warner intonated that a SE of this film is in the works? There seems to be a thread about this film every month. Enough already, says I!

#18 of 34 OFFLINE   Sergio A

Sergio A

Stunt Coordinator

• 128 posts

Posted June 02 2005 - 12:32 AM

Enough already, says I!
------

Well, I'll certainly relent once I have a nicely re-mastered DVD in my mitts (Lowry have done clean up on it apparently, right?)

By the way Gordon, 1900 is available on a pretty good 2-disc DVD set in Italy, albeit without English subtitles (for those that need them).

#19 of 34 OFFLINE   Chad R

Chad R

Screenwriter

• 2,174 posts

Posted June 02 2005 - 02:53 AM

Even if Felt has lost most of his faculties, the admission as to Deep Throat's identity should at least allow Woodward, Bernstein, and Bradlee to do a very interesting, unrestricted commentary for the film. They could easily fill in a lot of the gaps by discussing the incidents in the film unhindered.

I read Woodward's article in the Post this morning, and while it's interesting to see the last piece of this puzzle fit into place, I don't know if they could milk an entire book out of this revelation. At best they could add a new appendage to the old book, and a commentary from them on the movie could do the same, just in modern day, DVD terms.

#20 of 34 OFFLINE   JohnTRU

JohnTRU

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted June 02 2005 - 11:32 AM

This may be seen as sacrilege, given the delays in getting a special edition of this out there, but I'd gladly sit through further delays to have some of the recently divulged information discussed at length. But then again, Woodward, Bernstein and Ben Bradlee have tended to play down the importance of Deep Throat over the years, saying while he was important, there were other sources which were also valuable to the investigation.