What's new

Andy Griffith Season 3 --- August 16, 2005 (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

"THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW: THE COMPLETE THIRD SEASON" will be released on August 16th, 2005, in a 5-Disc boxed set via Paramount Home Video.

This is a very fast follow-up release to the excellent Season-Two "TAGS" set (which came out May 24th).

Not bad at all. Kudos to Paramount Studios' TV division! :emoji_thumbsup: :)

Season Three will give "Andy" fans 32 more entertaining episodes, and will introduce "Gomer", "Peggy", and "Helen" for the first time in the series.

There are many top-notch entries in the third "T.A.G.S." season. Here are the episodes that we'll be seeing via the third-season set.......

EP. # -- TITLE -- ORIG. CBS-TV AIR DATE:
------------------------------------------
64. "Mr. McBeevee" (10/01/1962)
65. "Andy's Rich Girlfriend" (10/08/1962) -- First appearance by "Peggy McMillan" (portrayed by Joanna Moore).
66."Andy And The New Mayor" (10/15/1962)
67."Andy And Opie, Bachelors" (10/22/1962) -- History notation: This episode aired on the very same night as President John F. Kennedy's famous "Cuban Missile Crisis" speech to the nation, which warned the Russians of a possible "Full retaliatory response upon the Soviet Union". A very tense night in American history, as Peggy helped out "Andy & Opie, Bachelors".
68."The Cow Thief" (10/29/1962)
69."Barney Mends A Broken Heart" (11/05/1962)
70. "Lawman Barney" (11/12/1962)
71."The Mayberry Band" (11/19/1962)
72."Floyd, The Gay Deceiver" (11/26/1962)
73."Opie's Rival" (12/03/1962)
74."Convicts-At-Large" (12/10/1962) -- Hilarious episode, as Barney & Floyd are held hostage by three women convicts. ("You're a doll!") :laugh:
75."The Bed Jacket" (12/17/1962)
76."The Bank Job" (12/24/1962) -- Debut of "Gomer Pyle" (Jim Nabors).
77."One-Punch Opie" (12/31/1962)
78."Barney And The Governor" (01/07/1963)
79. "Man In A Hurry" (01/14/1963) -- A classic among classics. One of the very best "Andy" episodes of
all-time, IMO. :emoji_thumbsup:
80."High Noon In Mayberry" (01/21/1963)
81."The Loaded Goat" (01/28/1963)
82."Class Reunion" (02/04/1963)
83."Rafe Hollister Sings" (02/11/1963)
84."Opie And The Spoiled Kid" (02/18/1963)
85."The Great Filling-Station Robbery" (02/25/1963)
86."Andy Discovers America" (03/04/1963) -- We see "Helen Crump" (Aneta Corsaut) for the very first time in this episode.
87."Aunt Bee's Medicine Man" (03/11/1963)
88."The Darlings Are Coming" (03/18/1963)
89."Andy's English Valet" (03/25/1963)
90."Barney's First Car" (04/01/1963)
91."The Rivals" (04/08/1963)
92."A Wife For Andy" (04/15/1963)
93."Dogs, Dogs, Dogs" (04/22/1963)
94."Mountain Wedding" (04/29/1963)
95."The Big House" (05/06/1963)

-----------------

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s=dvd&v=glance

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=PRD004730

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Great news, David! And kudos for a sharp eye that searched that out!

Gary "this really is a fast turnaround - which is fantastic" O.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Set 3 will finally make all the public domain DVD releases (episodes 80-95) obsolete, at least for serious fans of the series.:emoji_thumbsup:

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator
Awesome news - thanks for the info, David! I agree that "Convicts-At-Large" is a hilarious episode, possibly my favorite from the entire run of the show. Folks who don't think that "older" B&W TV sitcoms can be sidesplitting should be made to watch this episode.

I really wish more of the studios would release their season sets on this sort of a schedule. I think they would find that sales of some of these series would be greatly improved if fans felt confident that each successive season of their favorite show was going to be released on a dependable and timely schedule. I think making collectors play the "waiting game" of several months (to over a year in some cases) only serves to turn off even ardent fans of some shows from actually buying them. Who wants to invest in the first one or two seasons of a show only to discover the third season isn't going to be released for years, if ever? Hopefully some of the other less reliable studios (Sony/Columbia, I'm looking at you) will take note.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Thanks for the list, but no comments about the Loaded Goat? That one is hi-larious! Glad we're up to the Helen episodes. She's a peach.

I guess for most of you, there are only two more releases to go. I think I'm the only one on the planet who actually doesn't mind the color episodes.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Isn't that the truth? It's hard for me to believe that a well written and acted comedy like "Barney Miller" doesn't merit more than a Season 1 release (and it's only 13 episodes)!

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator
Amen, Bob. "Barney Miller" is the one that REALLY sticks in my craw. One of the best TV shows ever and Sony leaves us hanging after the (short) first season. Aside from "Seinfeld" (which you KNOW will be released in its entirety) I'm very disinclined to ever buy any Sony TV product.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Not the only one. While they are less good than the b&w, I still like them well enough to buy them. I'll be buying the full series in it's entirety, assuming it all gets released.

DaveyM

Stunt Coordinator
I enjoy the color episodes and would buy season sets. It was not the same after Don Knotts left but it was still a good show and the later seasons are still worth having.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Glad to see I'm not alone, and I do definitely agree that they aren't as good as the B&Ws. Season 8 was particularly rough, when it seemed to be mainly Sam, Howard and Emmett. There were still gems in the seasons before that, though I don't know that I like what they did with Barney and Thelma Lou. :frowning:

It's funny that they made Gomer an awful singer in the last episode of season 4, only to be an incredible singer later on Gomer Pyle. I know Nabors was gifted with a wonderful voice, but I think the earlier take seemed more fitting for Gome.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Great news. I hope Paramount keeps including sponsor spots (assuming they were still doing them).

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

You might want to use Barney's one bullet on me after I say this -- but, IMO, Helen was one of the weaker characters on the show. I like Helen alright, but she does get a bit on the crabby (and unlikable) side quite often. Of course, beginning with the color eps., Andy, too, turns into a big crab, constantly whining and annoyed by something. :)

But, offhand, I cannot really think of any standout individual performance (or witty lines of dialogue) from Aneta Corsaut (Helen) on "TAGS".

Although, I definitely admire her spunkiness in the very first episode she appears in ("Andy Discovers America"). She's not bound to let Sheriff Andy get the better of her in that one. :)

Perhaps someone can prove me wrong re. Helen and her performances. I know she's an integral part of the series for the last 5.33 years of the show, but I'm having a hard time plucking my memory for a Standout Helen Episode or any hilarious Helen dialogue.

She seems more of a "perfunctory" character to me.

Somebody prove me wrong. :)

If I were to "rate" Andy's love interests during the series, I'd go with:

1.) "Ellie Walker" (Elinor Donahue)

2.) "Peggy McMillan" (Joanna Moore) (Yummy!) :) -- Trivia: Did you guys realize that Joanna married
Ryan O'Neal in April 1963 (a few months after she made her 4 "TAGS" appearances), and she is the mother of Tatum O'Neal? (I hadn't known that till recently. :))

3.) "Helen Crump" (Aneta Corsaut)

4.) "Mary Simpson" (Played by two different actresses: Julie Adams & Sue Ane Langdon)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
David thanks for posting this it made my day, and I'm sure I'll have season 2 by then.

I'm torn as to whether or not I'll buy the colored seasons...we'll just have to wait and see.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

When I first read this Casey comment, what went through my head (fleetingly) was....

"Huh? 'Colorized' TAGS seasons? What's he talking about?"

LOL! :)

But, obviously, Casey is talking about Seasons 6, 7, and 8 (the years that were done "in full living color" in the first place).

Come to think of it -- What WOULD TAGS-S.1 look like "colorized"? -- Nah. No way. I wouldn't like it. It just wouldn't be the same "TAGS".

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member

Hey, David, you forgot Charlene Darling! :D

Refresh my memory - what is the "Man in a Hurry" episode about?

Also, in which season was the debut of the "Fun Girls", and how many episodes did they appear in (I'm thinking two).

Jon

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
This is a little off the TAGS subject, but my season 2 box set of TAGS included a $15(US)/$20(CDN) rebate on the purchase of TAGS season 1, or season 1 of Cheers, Frasier, or Taxi. Right now, Amazon's US site has these sets on sale for $23.39, so your net cost is just $8.39. I don't know how long the Amazon sale will last (it's for Fathers Day), but the rebate is good through July 31st. Cheers!

JohnOPR

Stunt Coordinator
I can't recall: were there only eight seasons of TAGS?
Did Don Knotts leave the show after the fourth or fifth season?

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

The "Fun Girls" first appear in Season 3's "Barney Mends A Broken Heart". The "girls" then appear twice more, once in Season 4 and once in Season 5.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks