Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HBO's Empire Falls

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Jim Rankin

Jim Rankin

Stunt Coordinator

• 207 posts

Posted May 29 2005 - 11:36 PM

Just wondering if anyone else checked this out? I thought it was pretty engrossing - great performances in particular from JoAnn Woodward and Ed Harris. I never read the original book so I couldn't say how faithful the mini-series was to it. With nothing else on right now, there are worse ways to spend 3 and 1/2 hours.

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,935 posts

Posted May 30 2005 - 01:03 AM

Crap! It started already?? I have to check the repeat schedule.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Francois Caron

Francois Caron

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts

Posted May 30 2005 - 04:13 AM

Ack! I almost forgot! Thanks for the heads-up!

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   todbnla

todbnla

Screenwriter

• 1,521 posts
  • Location39466

Posted May 30 2005 - 05:08 AM

I liked it but did not care for the ending too much...
I was hoping he went for the bookstore. Posted Image

Regards,
Todd

My Blue-Ray & SD DVD's

Current HT setup: Vizio E601-A3 60" Led display, Pioneer VSX-521-k, Panasonic DMP-BDT320 Integrated Wi-Fi 3D Blu-ray DVD Player, SVS 2531PCi sub, Polk R30 mains, Polk CS125 center, Polk R15 x4 rears

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Derek_J

Derek_J

Stunt Coordinator

• 235 posts

Posted May 30 2005 - 07:07 AM

Spoil the ending, much?

#6 of 11 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,045 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 30 2005 - 07:59 AM

I liked it, but also didn't care for the ending and resolution for a couple of characters and situations. I thought HBO's Warm Springs was a better production.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   todbnla

todbnla

Screenwriter

• 1,521 posts
  • Location39466

Posted May 30 2005 - 11:12 AM

Crawdaddy, thanks for fixing my Oops. :b
Regards,
Todd

My Blue-Ray & SD DVD's

Current HT setup: Vizio E601-A3 60" Led display, Pioneer VSX-521-k, Panasonic DMP-BDT320 Integrated Wi-Fi 3D Blu-ray DVD Player, SVS 2531PCi sub, Polk R30 mains, Polk CS125 center, Polk R15 x4 rears

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Jim Rankin

Jim Rankin

Stunt Coordinator

• 207 posts

Posted May 30 2005 - 11:28 PM

Robert, I agree with you on the ending - after setting up a leisurely pace to tell the story and develop the characters, the ending seemed to be rushed.

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted May 31 2005 - 01:15 AM

I haven't watched Part 2 yet, but I did enjoy part 1 very much.

As I was watching this movie, I had a sense that I almost knew the characters already, like i've seen this movie before. Maybe it was the way the movie was made or maybe because it took place in small town, but for some reason it was bugging me. The whole father conflict plot was very familiar.

After I watched the part 1, Spidey senses tingling. i went to IMDB and found out the guy who wrote the book and screenplay was the same guy that did Nobody's Fool with Paul Newman.

Nobody's Fool is one of my favorite movies!

Paul
If there be one of them who does not follow the way of the Snitzil, let that one go and do not throw bowling balls at them.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   RobertW

RobertW

Supporting Actor

• 719 posts

Posted May 31 2005 - 01:29 PM

Nobody's Fool is a great movie, and while i enjoyed Empire Falls, it paled in comparison.

i see where you got it though. Newman's character is basically the same, there's the older woman/town elder character, the father/son dynamic, son divorcing or newly divorced, Jimmy Minty is a similar foil to Newman/Harris that Bruce Willis portrayed in Nobody's Fool. maybe because this seemed derivative, or for other reasons, but Nobody's Fool is just a better movie.

I basically watched because it was filmed at various locations in my home state of Maine. will have to catch it again to watch it just for the scenery. the author is a former teacher at Colby College in Waterville.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted June 01 2005 - 01:18 AM

Well I watched Part 2 last night. I was disapponted in the way it ended.

the whole school shooting plot just seeming out of place.

The end of the movie just seemed so rushed. Its like the director didn't know how to end the movie. I think if they summed up the movie at the end of the first 2 hours in some way, it would of been a lot better film with tightening up some of the story lines.

Paul
If there be one of them who does not follow the way of the Snitzil, let that one go and do not throw bowling balls at them.