What's new

HBO's Empire Falls (1 Viewer)

Jim Rankin

Stunt Coordinator
Just wondering if anyone else checked this out? I thought it was pretty engrossing - great performances in particular from JoAnn Woodward and Ed Harris. I never read the original book so I couldn't say how faithful the mini-series was to it. With nothing else on right now, there are worse ways to spend 3 and 1/2 hours.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
I liked it but did not care for the ending too much...I was hoping he went for the bookstore. :frowning:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I liked it, but also didn't care for the ending and resolution for a couple of characters and situations. I thought HBO's Warm Springs was a better production.

Crawdaddy

Jim Rankin

Stunt Coordinator
Robert, I agree with you on the ending - after setting up a leisurely pace to tell the story and develop the characters, the ending seemed to be rushed.

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
I haven't watched Part 2 yet, but I did enjoy part 1 very much.

As I was watching this movie, I had a sense that I almost knew the characters already, like i've seen this movie before. Maybe it was the way the movie was made or maybe because it took place in small town, but for some reason it was bugging me. The whole father conflict plot was very familiar.

After I watched the part 1, Spidey senses tingling. i went to IMDB and found out the guy who wrote the book and screenplay was the same guy that did Nobody's Fool with Paul Newman.

Nobody's Fool is one of my favorite movies!

Paul

RobertW

Supporting Actor
Nobody's Fool is a great movie, and while i enjoyed Empire Falls, it paled in comparison.

i see where you got it though. Newman's character is basically the same, there's the older woman/town elder character, the father/son dynamic, son divorcing or newly divorced, Jimmy Minty is a similar foil to Newman/Harris that Bruce Willis portrayed in Nobody's Fool. maybe because this seemed derivative, or for other reasons, but Nobody's Fool is just a better movie.

I basically watched because it was filmed at various locations in my home state of Maine. will have to catch it again to watch it just for the scenery. the author is a former teacher at Colby College in Waterville.

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
Well I watched Part 2 last night. I was disapponted in the way it ended.

the whole school shooting plot just seeming out of place.

The end of the movie just seemed so rushed. Its like the director didn't know how to end the movie. I think if they summed up the movie at the end of the first 2 hours in some way, it would of been a lot better film with tightening up some of the story lines.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks