-

Photo
- - - - -

AE Speakers AV Series Woofers Have Returned

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor

• 784 posts

Posted May 29 2005 - 05:28 PM

Latest news update: AE Speakers has finally put up the AV series woofers for sale at long last. As you may remember, the AV series woofers have 23mm Xmax and full aluminum cones/cast frames. The new frames are black but use the same 12-spoke casting. The first fifty-unit production run of each AV woofer had the wrong type of zinc plating put on the top plates. This is just a cosmetic defect and does not affect the motor function at all, according to John J. Now, that run of fifty woofers is on sale for a reduced price of $150 for AV12 and $180 for AV15. The AV12 has a Vd of 2.33L and the AV15 has a Vd of 3.80 L. These woofers are now built to the same specs as those previously built by TC Sounds, but they are hand-built by AE Speakers, and TC Sounds is in no way involved with the AE Speakers line. I personally enjoy my AV12 woofer a lot. They gained a reputation as some of the cleanest-sounding bass drivers available, so they suit a wide variety of tastes from home-theater to hi-fi. These woofers can probably thought of as the SVS dB+ driver but with a cast frame, rubber gasket, and more Xmax. I don't think these first woofers have the AE Speakers logo silkscreened on the cone, but that option will probably be made available later. Just be careful: I'm a genius and dropped an allen wrench on the center of the cone of my AV12, putting a dent in it. So for goodness sake, take care in mounting! Don't be a butterfingers like me and drop your tools.
"It sounds like it's barfing out the bass." - Zach

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey

Producer

• 4,952 posts

Posted May 30 2005 - 12:41 AM

Quote:
These woofers can probably thought of as the SVS dB+ driver but with a cast frame, rubber gasket, and more Xmax.

Really? Have the dB+ specs been tested or published?
SVS Customer Service
http://www.svsound.com
sales@svsound.com
techsupport@svsound.com

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor

• 784 posts

Posted May 30 2005 - 10:14 AM

The two are similar in design, but the AV series (when it was being built by TC Sounds) added more length to the voice coil and did not use any shorting rings in the motor structure (the marginal improvement did not justify the increase in price). I don't think the SVS driver does, either. Each design is a departure from the TC2 motor structure

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey

Producer

• 4,952 posts

Posted May 30 2005 - 11:44 PM

They seem like cool woofers, but I'd be careful with any conclusions as to "similarities". Ultimately, all woofers are "similar in design". Are these actually available or will there be another..."pre-order"?
SVS Customer Service
http://www.svsound.com
sales@svsound.com
techsupport@svsound.com

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   John E Janowitz

John E Janowitz

Second Unit

• 448 posts

Posted June 01 2005 - 02:11 AM

Jack,

The original AV12 was very similar to the SVS, both being made by TC and using the 2HP motor.

We are now building all woofers in house. As of right now I am building every one myself. We changed the steel a little from the original design. I didn't want the curved back plate. The flat plate allows for adding a bucking magnet to partially shield the driver. We use a 2.1" long coil on the AV woofers. This gives quite a bit more Xmax than the driver in comparision.

These are not a preorder. All parts are in stock and we are building them now. We will start shipping monday next week. This batch has mismatched plating with the top plate yellow zinc and back plate clear zinc. As a result they are $25 off the regular price.

John

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Geoff L

Geoff L

Screenwriter

• 1,702 posts

Posted June 01 2005 - 05:16 PM

Hi John

Very nice to hear one of the best looking & performing drivers around, are back...!

One question regarding the AV's, why the black colored basket. You must have a reason, or is it strickly cosmetics???

Also:
Is there (another driver line) that is coming at some point further out. You mentioned quite awhile back of a new motor or maybe it was just improving on a design already in use, that you where working on.
Very nice BL-curve and larger Xmax, I belive..

I can't remember exactly what you posted here at HTF, so please clear things up if I'm way off here. I tried to find that post, but could not. Posted Image

I apoligize if I am wrong or just have the facts seriously messed up. :b:

Regards
Geoff ¥
~{ Speak of what you know, listen to what you don't.! }~  

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   John E Janowitz

John E Janowitz

Second Unit

• 448 posts

Posted June 01 2005 - 05:21 PM

Hi Geoff,

I have something pretty slick planned for the frames in the future. I'll have pics soon. For now it's just too hard to stock black and silver frames when the blacks are used for the Lambda woofers and I have those here.

Yes, the HE15 will be making a return. Flat BL curve, 43mm Xmax. How long it takes depends on how much money people want to invest. That's the only holdup is that we need to tool parts.

John

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor

• 784 posts

Posted June 04 2005 - 01:37 AM

So you see, my claims were "straight from the horse's mouth," so to speak. Unfortunately for me, I couldn't remember exactly which horse's mouth it was from. Both had the same motor, the same 2" aluminum VC former (though the AV woofers' VC windings were longer), copper on the pole piece (though according to John this didn't really do much for the inductance, which was actually lower without the copper), the same two-piece aluminum cone and dust cap, and the same Santoprene polymer surround. Just a different basket and different VC length.

John, wasn't the Fs of the AV woofers lower than the SVS dB12+ as well? I seem to remember something about that.

The post detailing the Linear Motor Technology (except for things that could be patented) was on AE Speakers' own forum.