• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#1 of 102 Thomas T

Thomas T

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted May 28 2005 - 02:10 PM

I purchased a bunch of the Fox titles that came out this past Tuesday and was struck by the includsion of two scenes in trailers that were not in the finished product. Of course, trailers are often made before the final product is edited so it's understandable so I was curious if other HTFers can come up with examples other than my two.

The trailer for Warlock has a scene with Dorothy Malone telling Richard Widmark that she wants Henry Fonda killed and she'll do what she has to to get it done. The scene was removed from the film proper.

The trailer for The Best Of Everything has a very brief glimpse of Joan Crawford at a bar talking to the bartender that is nowhere to be found in the film proper.

Any other examples?

#2 of 102 Patrick Soucy

Patrick Soucy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted May 28 2005 - 02:14 PM

In the Addams Family movies, you can seen scenes not in the movies too. And badly, the DVD are barebones (Only trailers as special features) and the deleted scenes aren't in the DVDs.

The 'Burbs as also many scenes in the trailer missing from the bonus or the movie.

I don't remember the others on the DVD I have...

#3 of 102 Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  • LocationGuelph, Ontario - Canada

Posted May 28 2005 - 02:24 PM

Funny you should mention this. I just bought "Racing Stripes" last week. My niece loved the commercial where the two flies rap; "Old McDonald had a zebra.....". Anyway, after watching the DVD, she was saddened that this clip wasn't included in the film. Luckily for her though, the DVD contains the trailer with the rap song intact. lol.
My DVD / Blu-ray collection:

#4 of 102 Mark E J

Mark E J

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted May 28 2005 - 02:33 PM

A really great example of this is The Perfect Storm, the teser had several scenes not in the movie and the full trailer had the most deleted scenes I've ever scene in a trailer. Probably about a third of the footage in the full trailer is not in the movie.

#5 of 102 Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts

Posted May 28 2005 - 03:07 PM

I think it was the last Highlander movie where in the trailer they made it look like the villain had magic powers, but in the movie he actually didn't. I read about it in Roger Ebert's Answer Man Column.

Q. In the trailer for "Highlander: Endgame," the villain is cut in two, is called a sorcerer, suspends a sword in mid air, and views people on a magic floating crystal ball. The heroes are seen jumping through a "Poltergeist-style swirling vortex. None of these scenes are in the movie. The villain isn't a sorcerer, just a guy good at cutting off heads and hissing like the Emperor in "Star Wars." I've since found out from the "Highlander" internet newsgroup that the scenes I mentioned were shot just for the "Highlander: Endgame" trailer and were never going to be in the movie. Not even scenes that were later cut but scenes that were never going to be used. How different can a trailer be from the film before it is just lying? (Ian Boothby, Vancouver)

A. This trailer seems different enough. I haven't seen "Highlander: Endgame," since I was in Thailand when it opened, and would have been prepared to go even farther to avoid it, if necessary. ...

#6 of 102 Pete York

Pete York

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted May 28 2005 - 03:22 PM

Nothing earth-shattering here, but...

In the trailer for Mr. Smith Goes to Washington there is a shot of Jefferson Smith being honored back home in a parade, presumably an original ending.

The trailer for The Adventures of Robin Hood shows Robin and Marian riding off together at the end. The movie actually closes as they leave the castle.

#7 of 102 PaulBigelow

PaulBigelow

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted May 28 2005 - 03:32 PM

The "Wizard Of Oz" trailers are a goldmine of lost footage.
Best regards,

Paul Bigelow

#8 of 102 Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 8,301 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 28 2005 - 03:59 PM

The famous "tire through the windshield" shot from Twister was probably the most memorable thing in the trailer - and it never appeared in the film.

The teaser trailer for Star Trek: First Contact was cut together while the FX were still in production, so it featured TV shots of the Enterprise-D in the space scenes, and other left-over footage from TNG when the actors had to be seen firing weapons. Naturally none of this footage appeared in the finished film. Only non-FX live action and dialogue shots from the actual film made it into the teaser.

Regards,

Joe

#9 of 102 Neil J

Neil J

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted May 28 2005 - 04:07 PM

Yeah, I remember that Twister shot. Tom Sizemore's character says "don't let that man crawl" in the Black Hawk Down trailer, but its not in the movie. Also there is a single shot in the Independance Day trailer where one of Randy Quaid's children was standing there.

#10 of 102 DavidBC

DavidBC

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted May 28 2005 - 04:38 PM

Apparently, the Joan Crawford scene in The Best of Everything trailer leads into a whole big drunken scene of Crawford's that was cut.

Death Becomes Her has a trailer full of stuff not it the movie, even the back of the video box had an image not in the movie! There's a movie that needs a full-blown-all-out special editon.
I don't care for modern films. All crashing cars and close-ups of people's feet.
-Lillian Gish

#11 of 102 Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted May 28 2005 - 05:56 PM

One of the trailers from License to Drive is made up almost entirely of scenes from the original ending which was later re-shot. I seem to recall the the trailer for Working Girl had a number of shots not in the film.

-Lyle J.P.

#12 of 102 Thomas T

Thomas T

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted May 28 2005 - 05:59 PM

Apparently a lot besides Crawford's big scene was cut from The Best Of Everything, David, in order to whittle the film down to 2 hours.

The film's four leads were Hope Lange, Suzy Parker, Diane Baker and Martha Hyer. The first three were Fox contract players. So naturally guess who's part was seriously cut? Watching the film, Hyer's storyline isn't even resolved. Her story just stops.

#13 of 102 Alan_H

Alan_H

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted May 28 2005 - 07:04 PM

Alfred Hitchcock's Rope... although this was done on purpose. The entire trailer serves as a prelude to the beginning of the movie.

#14 of 102 Mike Wadkins

Mike Wadkins

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted May 28 2005 - 07:51 PM

the star wars dual of the fates music video and all new trilogy star wars trailers have footage not in the movies.

and the less said about the alien3 teaser the better...

#15 of 102 Will*B

Will*B

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted May 28 2005 - 08:44 PM

The Man with the Golden Gun teaser has quite a lot of deleted footage...

Some Thunderball trailers contain a few seconds of cut footage as well.

#16 of 102 Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted May 28 2005 - 08:52 PM

Good Morning Vietnam's theatrical trailer included part of one of Adrian Cronauer's (Robin Williams) routines where he was doing a pretty good Ethel Merman impersonation, of Ethel singing 'Silent Night.' I laughed myself sick, and was pretty angry that it was not in the movie.

Interestingly enough, that particular trailer does not appear on the DVD.

Another trailer with unseen footage was the original for the first Spider-Man. There was a scene of some nasty bank robber types making their getaway in a helicopter, and being snagged by Spidey's web, which was strung between the World Trade Center towers. That footage was re-filmed in the wake of 9/11, and has never been seen again, that I know of. That trailer certainly wasn't on the DVD.

The shape I'm in you could donate my body to science fiction! - Rodney Dangerfield, "Back to School"

#17 of 102 Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts

Posted May 29 2005 - 12:25 AM

just ssaw the railer for Working girl and it has several bits not in the film.
THE BEST OF EVERYTHING was originally meant to be along special running movie but Fox changed their mind late in the game. Many of Crawfords scensa dn Martha Hyers scenes were cut and a bucnh of scenes with Diane Baker and Robert Evans were cut. I was surprised to see that litle bit with Crawford show up in the trailer.
also on Fox dvd - trailer for Return to Peyton place has a scene of a house fire. this was the original ending of the film (not used) when Mary Astors hous catches on fire and she dies.
not on dvd yet - Garden of Evil. At the end of the film, we hear Susan Hayward look at the land and say "the old Priest called it the Garden of evil" What old priest. Apparently, an old priest tried to talk the gang out of going to the Garden of Evil. A brief clip of this is in the trialer.
the Wizard of Oz trailer shows a marching band singing Ding Dong the Witch is dead" welcming Dorothy and her friends back to Emerald city.
the Trailer for the Pirate(Garland) shows an earlier version of the number Mack the Black.
the Trailer for Hello Dolly has alternate angles of some scenes. You also get to hear a different end for the Parade Passes By number. In the film, the end is sung by Barbra alone, in the trailer sings sing it backed up by the chorus.

#18 of 102 Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 8,301 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 29 2005 - 01:55 AM

Quote:
There was a scene of some nasty bank robber types making their getaway in a helicopter, and being snagged by Spidey's web, which was strung between the World Trade Center towers. That footage was re-filmed in the wake of 9/11, and has never been seen again, that I know of. That trailer certainly wasn't on the DVD.

According to the producers that sequence was created solely for the teaser trailer, well in advance of the film's completeion, as a way of showing how they would use the Spiderman character and anchoring him in New York they way the comic books did. So it does not represent something "cut" from the film, but rather something that was never intended to be in the film. (Which seems to be a subset of the trailers we're discussing here generally.)

Yeah, after the towers came down they got a bit squeamishm for obvious reasons, and pulled that footage from the promos. The DVD was released soon enough after the event that they still held it back. I suppose some future archival HD edition they might restore the trailer, once they feel enough time has passed.

Regards,

Joe

#19 of 102 Jim Dalton

Jim Dalton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted May 29 2005 - 01:58 AM

There is also The Incredible trailer where it shows Bob having great difficulty getting into his suit and shouting to his wife that he'll just have a salad for dinner.

I wonder if these trailers containing scenes that are not in the final movie would be considered FALSE ADVERTISING?

#20 of 102 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,168 posts

Posted May 29 2005 - 02:01 AM

Quote:
I wonder if these trailers containing scenes that are not in the final movie would be considered FALSE ADVERTISING?

No. There's no law that trailers have to include ONLY footage found in the final flick. They're ads - they can put whatever they want in them. In fact, the best trailers - like Hitchcock's one for Psycho - include little/no footage from the actual movie...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow