What's new

Outlaw 990.... First Look..... (1 Viewer)

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Coming off a Lexicon MC-1 Pre/Amp.... Just received my 990 today... Setup was an absolute snap... Took me approx. 30 minutes to unhook all of my Lexicon wires as well as re-direct all video sources from my Inday switcher to the 990... OSD via the S-Video display was straight forward and easy... Setup all sources within 1 minute... I must admit, I have not even read the manual yet, so I’m sure more complex setup is in store.... I setup all speakers to small, and crossover to 80Hz across all 7 channels....

As far as gear I’m using Paradigm Studio 100's for mains ver3, Studio CC for center, Studio ADP's for sides, and Studio 20's for rears...Subwoofer is an SVS Ultra SS… Amp is Outlaw 770... DVD is Panasonic RP-91.. Projector is Marantz VP12 S3 with Hd2+…

I have listened to this unit for approx 1 hour so there will be more to come....

I'm extremely impressed at the video switching.. Video looks better than my Inday switcher.... Shaper, more detailed image.... Not by much, but an improvement.... I was watching Discovery HD Theater and they had one of those blue and black frogs.. I can't remember my image looking any better.......

I always found the Outlaw 950 to be Neutral sounding… My Lexicon MC1 was warmer and more precise with imaging and had a larger front sound stage to my ears….. I say without question, this 990 is as good, or better than Lexicon sound…..

My first audio demo was Star Wars Episode II Attack of the Clones… That initial SW opening crawl with the John Williams score is always my personal first test for any new audio gear…. The front soundstage on this piece (990) is just enormous… Front Soundstage imaging from the 990 was exceptional, and more detailed than my MC-1…. My front stage has never seemed so big and wide…… Sound panning from speaker to speaker is also flawless……. Natural sounding and lifelike…. Bass effects low coming from my sub seem much more detailed, and the upper range bass freq above 80hz from my Paradigms also seem tighter….

Remote control is easy to use, and bright blue keys illuminate…. I have so much more to setup and try….

Highly, highly recommended…

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the review...I'm looking at inexpensive pre-pros right now and this is one of the few within my budget. Please post more findings as you see fit, you have at least one rapt reader! ;)

Oh, how was the auto-calibration feature? Have you tried it?

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
Nice first look. I agree that the 990 is quite impressive. A significant improvement over my former Outlaw 950. The 990 is also much faster in acquiring audio lock between digital and PCM channels on Comcast cable.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Steve,
Us old guys need our "power naps."

:laugh: :laugh:

I'll be anxiously awaiting further assessment by you of your new unit, especially since you were a "Lex" guy (albeit not the MC-4/MC-8/MC-12 series.) It's being to look like the 990 is a real serious player in the pre/pro wars. Anything about the 990 to compare with Logic 7? When I saw the 990 on display at the NY Show it was one big mutha!

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
The 7.1 channel processing in this unit sounds as good or better than my Lexicon with Logic7...

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
One things I can say is that the size of the unit makes it a heck of alot easier to wire on the rear panel... I love how all the imputs are clearly marked, and spacing is good.. I was able to do the wiring from the Lex over to the 990 in 20 minutes flat... By 30 minutes, I had the unit running and all inputs assigned....

John Menoni

Stunt Coordinator
Wow. I can't wait for my 990 after reading this thread. At first I was annoyed that the 950 was discontinued just as I made my final decision to go for the outlaw 950/7100 setup. Now I am looking forward to the 990/7100. I just hope I hear from outlaw soon. I put in an order request a while ago.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor

I never timed my 950 but I estimate the 990 is at least twice as fast on audio acquisition. There's always a lag for the video switch which ranges from 1.0 to 2.5 seconds. The longest times are switching from digital HD cable channels to analog cable channels, while the shortest times are same to same. Once the new video picture appears the audio kicks in within 0.2 to 1.0 second. On the 950 the audio often took 1.5 to 3.0 seconds.

DaveBlairW

Auditioning
Steven - Thanks for the great preview of the Outlaw Audio 990 surround processor!

I'm currently running a Marantz SR8400 receiver, but am keeping a close eye on affordable separates to take the audio of my theater to the next level.

I had spotted the CES and Home Theater show postings on the 990, and your review has really sparked my interest in this upgraded Outlaw product.

I personally would be inclined to hold off until Outlaw launches the 790 multi-channel amp and make a combined purchase for the complete upgrade.

Question: has anyone seen a release date for the 790 amp for those like me who are inclined to jump for the 990 + 790 combo?

Tim Hess

Second Unit
The audio switching is wickedly fast, I don't even notice it.

I agree on the size, it did make it much easier getting back there and setting it up.

Right away I noticed the video quality to be much improved as well as the overall musical 'presence' compared to the 950 (using Klipsch RF/RFIIs in 7.1@80Hz/SVS 20-39PC-Plus).

This is one of the only upgrades that the wife actually approved AND noticed a difference ;)

After a few weeks going from a 950 to a 990, I am glad I did.

Very much worth the price.

The only issue I have is the lack of remote optical switching.

Steve Lumbert

Stunt Coordinator
I got my 990 dialed in about a week ago and have been able to log a few movies on it. When I installed the 990 I also upgraded my amp from a Rotel to a Lexicon CX7 and added a Panamax M5500 ACRegenerator so it's hard for me to be entirely objective when comparing it to my old 950. The 990 is HUGE and I had to do some serious reconfiguration of my rack to get it to fit.

The setup was amazingly simple with the included mic. I followed up with my own calibration microphone and it was nearly spot on.

The DVI switching works great and was one of the main reasons I bought the 990. I have my Sammy DVD-HD931 and TS160 HD sat receiver going through the preamp and it works great.

I'm not overly impressed with the remote control but at least it has a real backlight. I'm in the process of programming my MX3000 so this won't be a concern for me but thought it was worth mentioning.

I am extremely impressed with the sound, performance and features for the money and can highly recommend the 990 to anybody :emoji_thumbsup:

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
I will NOT buy one! You guys can't make me trade in my 950 for a 990! Stop it...

*fingers gripping edge*

Go away you Outlaws!!!

PS - What is the 790? Never heard of it...

Steve Lumbert

Stunt Coordinator
I love my 950 too. I actually moved the 950 from my media room to my bedroom with my old Rotel amp and sold the Kenwood 7080 receiver I was using in there.:D

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Steven

Had you tried any other units with Pro Logic IIx before the 990 to have as a reference against your Lexicon? I ask because it is my sense that many people find PLIIx a more than adequate substitute for Logic 7.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Does the 990 have HDMI switching? Ideally, I'd like three HDMI inputs, but would settle for two, one for HD-TV, one for DVD-V/DVD-A... the third would be for whatever HD-DVD/Blu-Ray source component may be on the horizon.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Rich,

It has 2 DVI inputs, and one output... HDMI can be converted to DVI with no issues...

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Art,
NO I have not heard DPL2x berore... Yet it sounds as good as Logic7 or better....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks