What's new

JBL E30 vs. Infinity Primus 150 (1 Viewer)

David-C

Auditioning
My question is simple... which is better? E30 or Primus 150?

Also, I just bought a JBL EC35 center speaker. I had planned to get E30 for my front speakers. Would the Primus 150 work well (i.e. timber match) with the EC35? Or should I just stick with the original plan and get E30?

The reason I ask is that a friend offered me his Primus 150 (new in box) for $100/pr. So I am tempted.

AlbertD

Stunt Coordinator
Neither. Its a matter of taste. I have a pair of Infinity Primus 150's in my bedroom that I play LOUD. At that price point, they are pretty much throw away speakers so I can abuse them and not worry. I have different speakers in my HT media room.

I will say that they, the 150's, take everything I throw at them and sound pretty decent. I use them connected to my receiver and CD player to practice guitar to. Bass is almost nonexistant, but they sound all right and are rock solid.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Go with the E30's to match.
Even beter a pair of E50's if you can swing the $260 for the pair.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
The 150s are marginally better than the E30s, IMO. Have you read the sterophile review? http://stereophile.com/loudspeakerreviews/404infinity/

Personally I think that the entire Infinity Primus line represents about the best "budget" speakers around. And if you ask me, these days budget speakers are often hard to differentiate from non-budget speakers, except for the fact that they don't usually have the good looks to match the sound.

That said, if the rest fo your speakers are JBL northridge, id be inclined to keep them all matched.

Rob White

Stunt Coordinator
Hey,

Just stumbled on this post. I'm at the same spot in my decision making, but I'm thinking about maybe the Infinity 160's instead of the 150's.

So does anyone have any further thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Rob

John S

Senior HTF Member
I like the e30's better myself. But it is a matter of taste at these price points for sure.

Jonathan T.

Stunt Coordinator
Having listened to the JBLs and in the infinity's side by side many times, I can say with confidence that the Infinity are noticeably better, but probably only side by side. If you were starting from scratch I would say infinity all the way, since you aren't I'm inclined to recommend you stick with the JBL line...

BTW, I have owned the primus 160s for several years, and they definitely are amazing for the money, and sound a fair bit fuller than the 150s, which are not bad by any means.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks