Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Grindhouse - New Tarantino/Rodriguez film announced..

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
265 replies to this topic

#41 of 266 OFFLINE   Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted December 25 2006 - 03:14 AM

One direct reference to On the Waterfront in Raging Bull is when the fat Jake recites some of Brando's dialogue in his dressing room. The boxer taking a dive for the mob, love/hate relationship with his brother--those are other similar elements.

I still don't get the accusations about Tarantino not having a style of his own. If it's so easy to have great success by stealing from different directors without injecting any style of one's own, then why aren't there dozens of directors out there who've had the success that he's had by doing just that?

Besides, there have always been plenty of directors who "borrowed" from others. Leone is obviously a big influence on Tarantino, particularly in Kill Bill, but Leone combined bits and pieces of dozens of Hollywood westerns into his most successful movies. Kubrick is one of my favorite directors, and The Killing is a great movie, but it's not exactly 100% original when compared with The Asphalt Jungle. One could also single out Coppola and claim that The Godfather is just a combination of House of Strangers (never heard of it? See, I'm smart!) and The Conformist. Now I'm getting snarkier than I intended, but the point is just that almost everyone really does borrow/steal from everyone else, at least to some extent. That's especially true with genre movies--westerns, heists, samurai--in which Tarantino likes to pick out elements from different genres and stick them together in his own way.

#42 of 266 OFFLINE   Jason Roer

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor

• 977 posts

Posted December 25 2006 - 03:56 AM

"Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, and Kill Bill are all great films to me. How much that has to do with QT is my question. Which is why I do not see why his track record means all that much."

He wrote and directed each of those films, so I'm not quite sure what you mean by this comment. In one sentence you say you think the films are great and then in the next you take a crack at the guy who wrote and directed the films. Can you explain what you meant?

Cheers,

Jason

#43 of 266 OFFLINE   eric tengren

eric tengren

Stunt Coordinator

• 125 posts

Posted December 29 2006 - 05:13 AM

I think GRINDHOUSE and KILL BILL are Tarantino's RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK
He is taking all his favorite bits and blending them for a new generation of movie fans. I like the idea of KENtUCKY FRIED MOVIE style trailers and theater intros from the 70's. my favorite movie by him is the criminaly underrated JACKIE BROWN. which is his most mature movie, but was a bomb at the box office because it was too long and meditative for the movie public.I just picked up a compilation of trailers called 40 SECOND STREET FOREVER -THE DUECE, it is just the kind of movies that GRINDHOUSE is all about, it will be great drive- in craziness and I am looking forward to the over the top action with zombies,cartoon violence, tits, and exploding heads. sounds like good brainless fun to me.

#44 of 266 OFFLINE   Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted December 29 2006 - 05:51 AM

Jackie Brown didn't bomb at the box office. IMDB says it made about $72 million worldwide on a $12 million budget. Not much in comparison to the $200 million that Pulp Fiction made, but it was certainly successful on its own.

I also love Jackie Brown, but I agree with what Tarantino says in the long interview on the DVD. He says that whenever people call it his most "mature" or "serious" movie, he responds, "OK, that's nice...but take another look at Pulp Fiction." I don't see any reason to say that it had "more this" or "more that" than PF, which pretty much had it all to begin with.

#45 of 266 OFFLINE   eric tengren

eric tengren

Stunt Coordinator

• 125 posts

Posted January 01 2007 - 01:25 PM

I also love Jackie Brown, but I agree with what Tarantino says in the long interview on the DVD. He says that whenever people call it his most "mature" or "serious" movie, he responds, "OK, that's nice...but take another look at Pulp Fiction." I don't see any reason to say that it had "more this" or "more that" than PF, which pretty much had it all to begin with.[/quote]
Your right , calling JACKIE BROWN a bomb is incorrect, but in terms of the characters in JB vs. Pulp the characters in JB are older and looking back at lost chances in their lives. these are the themes that make me refer to it as more mature and meditative. The themes of redemption run through both films and PULP FICTION Is a great flick, don't get me wrong. But in terms of KILL BILL ,FROM DUSK TILL DAWN, and it looks like GRINDHOUSE, It seems like maybe he is gearing towards a younger audience,which is cool... but I hope his next flick would have him tackle something more serious.

#46 of 266 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted January 01 2007 - 03:25 PM

Watched the trailer. Looks f@#$ing retarded, but I will say one thing positive. The trailer music just smacks of Tarantino. The guy's picks for his movie soundtracks are something else. They always seem to stand out in his films. Rather unique.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#47 of 266 OFFLINE   tyler payne

tyler payne

Second Unit

• 342 posts

Posted January 05 2007 - 07:42 PM

http://www.comingsoo...ws.php?id=18291

Looks as if Edgar Wright, Rob Zombie, and Eli Roth have all signed on to direct the faux trailers for Grindhouse. Man, I am drooling to see this movie.

#48 of 266 OFFLINE   tyler payne

tyler payne

Second Unit

• 342 posts

Posted February 15 2007 - 10:47 PM

New trailer is out

http://movies.yahoo....grindhouse.html

#49 of 266 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted February 16 2007 - 03:38 AM

I think JB is a better film than PF. Always have.

PF has some serious pacing problem IMHO. While I do really like the scene in which Walken gives a young Butch his fathers watch, I think the whole Butch/Watch scenario slows down the narrative of the film and in a few cases brings it to a screaching halt. Its too long and uninteresting compared to whats going on in the Jules & Vincent side of the story. If it was cut down, and edited more Id prob complain less about it.

But Id rather watch JB than PF every time.

"Looks f@#$ing retarded"

Im inclined to agree. The script reviews werent that positive either. Im not a big Rodriquez fan. And seeing Rob Zombies name attached to anything just makes me want to puke. My expectations are LOW.

#50 of 266 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,335 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 17 2007 - 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonZ
And seeing Rob Zombies name attached to anything just makes me want to puke. My expectations are LOW.
He's just doing a (fake) trailer in the movie. If the movie is good or bad, Rob Zombie won't have really had much to do with it.

#51 of 266 OFFLINE   Brent Bridgeman

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit

• 415 posts

Posted March 20 2007 - 12:45 AM

I am looking forward to the "Death Proof" portion if only for Kurt Russell. He can deliver lines that look absolutely stupid on paper and make them seem funny, cool, or threatening (sometimes all at the same time). I actually got to meet him at the Atlanta Motor Speedway on Sunday, and he was extremely nice to everyone and very friendly. Finally got my Jack Burton action figure signed (yes, I knew he was going to be down there, I don't carry stuff around in some sort of home theater hope chest)! The two girls from "Grindhouse" that were with him were giving him a hard time about how sexy his pecs "used to be".

#52 of 266 OFFLINE   Dennis Castro

Dennis Castro

Second Unit

• 291 posts

Posted March 20 2007 - 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggai
Besides, there have always been plenty of directors who "borrowed" from others....... but the point is just that almost everyone really does borrow/steal from everyone else, at least to some extent. That's especially true with genre movies--westerns, heists, samurai--in which Tarantino likes to pick out elements from different genres and stick them together in his own way.

Agreed.

Good artists barrow. Great artists steal. Posted Image
S&S flims seen: 33

Most Recent:
Solaris/****
Blade Runner/***The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly/****

#53 of 266 OFFLINE   rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 2,000 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted March 20 2007 - 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Castro
Agreed.

Good artists barrow. Great artists steal. Posted Image

Yep and ...

good quotes go unquoted and great quotes are mispelled

j/k

#54 of 266 OFFLINE   Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted March 21 2007 - 09:35 AM

Does anyone know if the final version is going to be intentially made to look like an old scratched up abused print?

#55 of 266 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted March 21 2007 - 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Harbaugh
Does anyone know if the final version is going to be intentially made to look like an old scratched up abused print?
Yes, it is.
"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#56 of 266 OFFLINE   JoshEE

JoshEE

Agent

• 34 posts

Posted March 29 2007 - 07:58 AM

I saw this last night at the Austin premiere where both directors and some of the actors/actresses showed up. I loved both movies. I'm a big fan of Tarantino's stuff and like some of Rodriguez's movies, but this was just pure fun. There was 1 trailer before Planet Terror and 3 (I think) before Deathproof. Both movies were really fun, the audience was very into both of them.

Deathproof has a huge amount of Austin "references" in it, including the owner of the Alamo Drafthouse and many other well known locals. Both movies have had effects added to make them look older, and a couple of other "surprises" to make them faithful to the old grindhouse theater experience. There are also few cameos I didn't know about prior to going that were fun and surprising.

A lot of the inspiration for these movies (and the previews) comes from old films such as Vanishing Point, Dirty Marry Crazy Larry, Don't go in the House, old stuff like that. I was lucky enough to see a bunch of these at the last QT Fest. If you haven't seen the movies they talk about in Grindhouse you should, they're very entertaining. You can find lists of what they've shown at old QT Fests.

Oh also, I was surprised how short Danny Trejo is, he looked about 5'5" with boots on.

#57 of 266 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,895 posts

Posted April 06 2007 - 02:47 PM

Got a chance to see this double feature bill due to the holiday.

I enjoyed "Planet Terror" more than "Deathproof" mainly because PT just plays more like a "grindhouse" film (decent setup for a nutty zombie flick), while DP is a little self-indulgent on QT's part, and the payoff didn't quite redeem all the dialogue scenes in the film.

But it's definitely worth seeing if you like both/either director's work, and you get your money's worth (just over 3 hours of schlocky fun at the movies).

I give PT 3 stars or a grade of B, and I give DP 2.5 stars or a grade of C+.

Oh yeah, I really hated
seeing the "missing reel" card come up at the most inopportune time.
Heh.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#58 of 266 OFFLINE   Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted April 06 2007 - 03:18 PM

Went to a late afternoon show today, with Chuck. I was very entertained by both of the movies, though I don't think either of them are quite on the level of Kill Bill or Sin City. They seem to have taken slightly different approaches to the "grindhouse" concept. Rodriguez was definitely going for some "so bad it's good" kind of moments, many of which got laughs from me, like a few random car explosions that happened for no reason. Tarantino's film comes across as more of a straightforward attempt at B-movie filmmaking, where he decided to set some specific limitations and do the best he could within them. Rodriguez went further with the scratched/damaged film thing in his part, although both of them used the "missing reel" gag.

Planet Terror is a mostly straightforward zombie movie, with some deliberate plot confusion and corny dialogue mixed in. There's some pretty disgusting stuff along the way, though I'm not very well-versed at all in the genre, so I don't know how the gore level compares to most zombie flicks. I loved Rose McGowan in this one; Freddy Rodriguez, not as much. There are a few other subplots mixed in, some more effective than others, but I thought they were all pretty entertaining (including Marley Shelton as a bisexual doctor), even if they deliberately didn't make a whole lot of sense. The opening credits are great, with Rose doing her pole dancing, and though you have to wait until near the end to see her machine gun leg, it's totally awesome when she puts it into action. I also liked the score a lot, might have to pick up that CD.

Death Proof features a lot of talking with some intense car stunts mixed in. It almost plays like two (or even three) different movies itself for a while, as Kurt Russell doesn't show up for the first few scenes, and then he disappears for most of the second half before returning for a high-speed finale. There's some pretty good dialogue, although I didn't think it was quite up to Tarantino's usual standards. On the other hand, the car scenes are all great. The big vehicular homicide scene halfway through is very intense, as is the long chase at the end, with an interesting turn of events before it's over.

My favorite thing about most of Tarantino's films has been his ability to write great dialogue and cast exactly the right people to deliver it. Some of the people in Death Proof do quite well, but others seemed out of place to me. Rosario Dawson does a nice job, as does the very hot Vanessa Ferlito, whom I wasn't really familiar with from anything before. Stuntwoman Zoe Bell, playing herself, was also pretty good, but I didn't think much of Tracie Thoms or Sydney Poitier (his daughter) in their roles. Neither of them were anywhere near as good as Vivica Fox in Kill Bill, who did far better with similar dialogue.

But I had to save the best for last--Kurt Russell is SO great in this that I only wish his part could have been bigger. The script barely gives him any background for why he goes nuts like he does, but he's so terrific that it doesn't matter. This is the one truly excellent performance in Grindhouse (and I did love Rose in Planet Terror, as I said above). I really hope Tarantino brings him back for some other roles down the line.

The fake trailers were pretty fun, though I had to duck out to the bathroom during "Thanksgiving," so I missed most of it until I watched the video link someone posted in the other thread. Yikes...nasty stuff! My favorite of the four was Rodriguez' "Machete," which plays right at the beginning, before Planet Terror. The role of the priest in that one was the funniest bit of stunt casting in the whole thing.

#59 of 266 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,335 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted April 06 2007 - 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggai
Rodriguez was definitely going for some "so bad it's good" kind of moments, many of which got laughs from me, like a few random car explosions that happened for no reason. Tarantino's film comes across as more of a straightforward attempt at B-movie filmmaking, where he decided to set some specific limitations and do the best he could within them. Rodriguez went further with the scratched/damaged film thing in his part, although both of them used the "missing reel" gag.
My thoughts exactly. I really dug the movie(s) but I also like shlock/sleaze movies so it may be more up my alley.

And I believe that the missing reels are playing in the rest of the world since they're playing as separate features every where else.

#60 of 266 OFFLINE   Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted April 06 2007 - 03:40 PM

I did read that they're playing as two separate features in other countries, but I doubt the "missing reels" were ever actually filmed. I assume they planned to include that gag from the start, as opposed to shooting complete stories and then pulling one reel out.

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow