What's new

Grindhouse - New Tarantino/Rodriguez film announced.. (1 Viewer)

Jesse Blough

Second Unit
From IMDB.com:

"Outgoing Miramax chiefs Bob Weinstein and Harvey Weinstein announced Wednesday that they plan to release a kind of duet horror film next spring in which one hour will be written and directed by Quentin Tarantino and the other, by Robert Rodriguez. The two films, they said, will be packaged under the title Grind House. The brothers also announced that they will begin releasing a slate of 13 films in theaters beginning next October, one month after finally severing their relationship with Disney. They include sequels to Scary Movie and Sin City. "We have said all along that we would hit the ground running and we are confident that this slate will represent and deliver the kind of movies that audiences will love," the Weinsteins said in a statement."

Sweet, so I'm assuming Grind House will be like the Romero/Argento film "Two Evil Eyes". I can hardly wait!

Edit:

More info:

"The movie will be a throwback to 42nd Street-style double bills of the past: The filmmakers will each contribute an hour-long fright flick, with trailers and additional bonus material from other filmmakers placed in between to complete the "grindhouse" experience. Tarantino has said that this could be the first of a series."

JayDerek

Stunt Coordinator

dear god, this should be fantastic.

I don't think there are any clips for Tarantino's part of this film in this teaser, but it still looks fantastic!!!

~Jason

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
Quentin was still shooting his film when we were down in Austin for Fantastic Fest a couple weeks ago. A few of my friends got to go on set (one of them shot a film that Quentin is a fan of) and they had a blast. Anyway, I don't think you'll be seeing footage just yet. But soon. And yeah - this is gonna kick some serious ass. April can't get here soon enough!

Cheers,

Jason

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
One of the UK import rags (Empire, I think) reported that this isn't just a fun side project for the two- both segments have ballooned to 2 hours each!

Regards,
Nathan

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

Well, I hope that's not true because we'll be waiting years for an "uncut" film just like with KILL BILL. There's no way a studio is going to release a 4+ hour film.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Two hours apiece? Perhaps they could convince theaters to play it as an actual double feature, with a (gasp!) intermission. A guy can dream...

That trailer...whoah. Like Sin City in color.

--Jefferson Morris

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

Maybe I'm imagining it but I seem to recall an interview in which Tarantino said that's what they're hoping for.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
I loved every moment of that preview. The teaser posters from a few months ago are absolutely stunning, and the preview makes me want these movies even more... well, at least Planet Terror (the Rodriguez one).

Doug

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know what that song is playing in the background? Oh, and Rose McGowan looks HOT in that opening scene. Can't wait to see this flick! :emoji_thumbsup:

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I'm not much for splatter films, but I'm sure I'll have to see what these guys come up with. Rose does look pretty smokin' there, especially toting that BFG!

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Wow. Just imagine what the Tarantino flick's going to bring to the table, too. It's hard to believe this is going to be two separate films. You know the distributor won't be able to resist releasing them seperately, though. like Kill Bill. I can't believe they'd be willing to pass up the extra revenue.

Matthew_Def

Stunt Coordinator
Last I heard each film would be around 70 minutes or so. That is feature length, and would not be ridiculous as a double feature.

MikeRS

Screenwriter
Rodriguez does a good job evoking 70s Carpenter - it's even more clear in the Comic Con footage (wait till you hear the synth score). I think more than anything, these two films are gonna play like love letters to Carpenter.

You also got the impression at Comic Con - by the crowd's orgasmic reaction to this footage - that the gauntlet was being thrown at Tarantino.(He was just about to begin principal photography).

Can't wait for Kurt Russell as an antagonist....

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
The trailer shown at the Scream awards looked fantastic.

The only problem is the fake trailers (In this case "My Name Is Machette") look just as kick ass as the actual movie.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

They have said that if this release does well, they might look to do sequels in which they turn those fake trailers into actual movies. Of course, Tarantino's always talking about all these big ideas he never makes time for, so take with a grain of salt. Be cool to see, though :)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

Actually moreso if you ask me. Then again, we haven't even seen footage of Tarantino's part yet so I'm sure there's some MAJOR ass kickery to come. :D

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Andy --

Yeah, this project has been on the backburner for a few years. They were talking about this well before Sin City.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks