What's new

pioneer 1014 craped out (1 Viewer)

EvanW

Stunt Coordinator
had a very passive power outtage with no surges and it basically killed two brand new VSX-1014TX's mine and my dads his was still under the 30 warrenty so he took it back and got a new one but ive been without mine for almost 2 months because protronics wont hurry up with it, they wont even tell me whats wrong.

I love this receiver but i cant keep such a thing if this commanly happens(the MCACC light was constantly flashing on and off and nothing else would turn)(book said to take it to a authorized tech. so i did).

Anyone else had similar problems????

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Did you have everything hooked up to a surge protector? This might be the thing you need to prevent this from happening again. Monster makes a pretty good one, I have it (don't recall the model) but when I go home I'll post it. It's about 100 bucks but well worth the money and possibly the way you can keep the receiver with out worries.

Chris Brock

Second Unit
I think you will find that this is a very uncomman occurance that was either caused by the lack of a surge protector or a bad unit to begin with. I would definitly give the Pioneer another chance. Good Luck!

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I own the 1014 and this exact thing happended to me a week and a half ago. There was a power outage for less than two seconds and when the power came back on the MCACC light was flashing and the receiver would not power up. I bought the receiver 6 months ago so I'm hoping warranty will cover it.

It was hooked up to a surge suppressor (one I've had for a few years albeit) and nothing else attached to the surge supressor was damaged (HDTV, DVD, cable box).

I took it in to the closest authorized service center and they still have it. I took it in on the 14th and don't have it back yet.

EvanW

Stunt Coordinator
same thing here bryan my was on a cheap surge but my dads was on a decent one i bought a monster a few weeks ago and its been 2 months and will take another for me to get mine back i might give higher end elite another chance or older pioneer but other than that im pretty much done with it ive never seen something so sensitive maybe its because im used to working with pro audio that u can smack and it will work like new again lol but thats just sad to me makes me so made im getting a 2ch denon to tide me over for the next month or 2 or whenever it gets fixed took my dad 2 years to get a weedeater fixed one haha o well, if i didnt used to be a pioneer fanatic i wouldnt have gotten it infact until a day before i bought it i was going to get a 2ch receiver or integrated amp but i said no ill use compnant video but no point in it now my equipment stand is to far for me to afford a long enought componant line made by a company other than radioshack even then i have to put 3 composites together which gets confuzing(need a 20 footer) o well im starting to upgrade any way but that set me back seeing as how im 14 and work for myself normaly dont make that much for a few months now that that its summer i can proabably make it faster, maybe ill get it back in another month or before summer is over its already been 2 months and they havent even looked at it yet.....

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Well, I called the repair shop today. It's been 1 1/2 weeks. They have finally looked at it, but they haven't figured out what's wrong with it yet. I didn't mention the surge because I'm afraid if I do they'll tell me it won't be covered under warranty.

This had better not take much longer because I'm without any receiver at all now. :frowning:

EvanW

Stunt Coordinator
exact same here but try 2 months im having to get another one so im going to seperates after this.

Dave Lindhorst

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like Pioneer needs to address this problem. You shouldn't need to have a surge protector for any reciever. If it really needs one the manufacturer should have either supplied one or had one built in to the unit.

I have had many many pieces of equipment over the years. Used them with transformers when I was overseas and so on. I have never had a component fail because of lack of a surge protector. Or for any other reason that I can recall.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I had another receiver hooked up to this same surge suppressor for the past few years without any problem.

It does sound like this Pioneer is overly sensitive.

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
Man I wonder if the 1015 suffers from this same issue. Seems to be too many cases for this to be an issue that can be ignored for the potential buyer.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
If I don't get it back in the next week or so and the Auth. Service Center continues to tell me they can't figure out what's going on with it I wonder what Pioneer will do?

Maybe a call to Pioneer is in order.

Craig W

Second Unit
I have a hard time believing that both Evan and his father's 1014s broke down with the same issue. Unless something was setup incorrectly like an amp being shorted or possibly an outlet being wired wrong for polarity.

But as far as this occurring too frequently to be considered a major problem, I disagree. If this was a serious issue you would have heard a lot more about this issue in this forum and others due to the popularity of the 1014.

I had a Sony DVP-S360 which reportedly had a faulty design of the laser assembly. The unit failed after a year-and-a-half of use. There were multiple reports of problems regarding that model in this forum and others around the web. Check the other user review sites for similar reports. I don't see any smoking guns here. Every manufacturer can have a bad batch.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor

This is a silly statement, Everybody should use a surge protector if they value their equipment. Whenever the power goes out or comes back on, no matter how gentle you may think it seems, there is always a surge. Think of it like you turning on the faucet real quick. No matter where you set it, there is always a burst before it comes back down to where you set it.

Just because you've never had a problem with surges doesn't mean that thousands of people do. I live in OKC and the foot traffic Best Buy/ Circuit City / Ultimate Electronics ALWAYS see a significant increase after a storm. The increase directly correlates to how bad the storm was (I.E, the more surges/power outages, the more people). If you get a good surge protector with a warranty backed by a reputable source, you can get equipment repaired or replaced for free.

Not that I think power surges caused the problem here. I think they just got units from a bad batch.

Dave Lindhorst

Stunt Coordinator

"This is a silly statement, Everybody should use a surge protector if they value their equipment. Whenever the power goes out or comes back on, no matter how gentle you may think it seems, there is always a surge".

Unquote

Do you work for a surge protection company? The above statement is not true and if you really knew what happens when the power comes back on you wouldn't be saying this.

Facts are, when the power comes back on after a blackout the current draw to get everything running again, particularly motors and some lighting products like Mercury Vapor, High pressure sodium etc causes a short term voltage drop. The voltage does not spike high but low. Your surge protector doesn't even function at those voltages. If you really want to protect your poorly designed components then buy an APU which will maintain voltage at a constant and you will be able to enjoy the stereo when there is a power outage. At the very least this type of unit will give you the time needed to shut off the stereo before the power comes back on. But if you buy products that are not prone to breaking you won't need either type of unit. I am not just talking. I had a voltage monitor installed in my house on 2 occasions and the record proved this to be true. If you notice your TV set as the power comes back on the picture is not full screen for a second or so. This also proves the voltage is low not high.

I have been enjoying audio for over 40 years and note once has a piece of equipment failed as a result of a "power surge". I haven't used surge protectors in the past and I think I will save my money for some new CDs or other accessories.

Dave Lindhorst

Stunt Coordinator
Now having said the above. Lightning is another story for sure. But if you think that little frigging power surge protector is going to stop a full lightning bolt that hits a power transformer in your neighborhood. Well forget it cause it won't. It's like putting a pillow to protect your head when a tractor trailer drives over it. Not much help is it.

EvanW

Stunt Coordinator
that is not the issue 1 was hooked to a RCA surge the other to a monster power surge it still went out.

EvanW

Stunt Coordinator
infact i will add this this has turned me off of pioneer infact i doubt i will ever buy another one of there products besides an elite series. i will tell pioneer this because as far as im concerned i just got cheated out of 500$ and i am about to say forget it go get the recieiver from pro tronics and take it to the pawn shop and if they wont take it to the dump.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
It will be a month tomorrow since I took the receiver in to be fixed. Supposedly they finally figured out what needed replaced and ordered the parts yesterday. They expect them to be in Monday and so hopefully I'll have my receiver back by the end of next week.

Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks