-

Photo
- - - - -

Overhead mounted PJ-remote question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 Daryl RL

Daryl RL

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted May 23 2005 - 08:47 AM

Not sure if this belongs here or in Construction & Interiors...

Will be ceiling mounting projector directly above the main listening/viewing position. The projectors I've been considering seem to have front or sometimes front and back IR sensors but not sure how well this would work with me being underneath the projector.

Is this a problem? Before the drywall goes up I'd like to know if I have to do something i.e. remote ir sensor or whatever.

Thanks!

#2 of 3 Daryl RL

Daryl RL

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted May 24 2005 - 08:22 AM

Where is everybody with projectors? Any thoughts?

#3 of 3 trey-m

trey-m

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted May 24 2005 - 08:50 AM

First off, once your projector is set up properly you may rarely even need to touch its remote other than to turn it on or off, so even in the worse case if you have to move a little bit to do it, I wouldn't stress too much about it. The remotes that you want to make sure you can point in a comfortable direction are your volume controls, DVD player controls, etc.

But the good news is: I have a projector that is mounted almost directly above my seating position like you described. Its remote as well as 3 of my other 4 remotes all bounce off of my screen (or even the wall) so I don't have to point them directly at the device (which likely will still work even if you are under it). Only my CD player remote doesn't bounce off the wall, but it is 11 years old. By the way, my equipment rack is behind the seating position and off to the side, angled toward the screen so that I can do this until I get an RF remote.

If you haven't placed your wires yet, you might as well put an extra wire up there anyway in case you decide to go with an All-In-One RF remote in the future. That way you can easily hook up the IR "eye". A ceiling electrical outlet is also handy if you don't have one yet.
"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure."