Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

All-TIME 100 Movies [Time Magazine's 100 Greatest Movies]

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 of 39 OFFLINE   Arman

Arman

Screenwriter

• 1,625 posts

Posted May 22 2005 - 01:26 PM

(In Alphabetical Order) - Time Compiles List of 100 Greatest Films

I have'nt really looked at every film in this list so give me time to think about it. Posted Image

#2 of 39 OFFLINE   Arman

Arman

Screenwriter

• 1,625 posts

Posted May 22 2005 - 01:42 PM

#3 of 39 OFFLINE   Seth--L

Seth--L

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted May 22 2005 - 01:56 PM

Yawn. These lists are getting so tiresome. I respect the fact that some critics try to mix things up, pick films which aren't normally picked, but The Purple Rose of Cairo is the only Woody Allen film to make the list? Great film, but Annie Hall, Manhattan, Crimes and Misdemeanors , and Bullets Over Broadway are all much more worthy choices for greatest 100 from Woody Allen.
Well - There it is.
My Music Collection

#4 of 39 OFFLINE   Bill McA

Bill McA

Producer

• 5,969 posts

Posted May 22 2005 - 02:10 PM

I'm stunned to see that Leolo is on a best 100 list.

I'm not complaining, I LOVE that movie...it's about time that someone else noticed this amazing film! Posted Image Posted Image

I'm also thrilled to see The Singing Detective there, that's another fav of mine that never gets listed...though that's probably because it's a TV mini-series rather than a film.

Another Posted Image Posted Image from me.

#5 of 39 OFFLINE   Sean Moon

Sean Moon

Screenwriter

• 2,045 posts

Posted May 22 2005 - 02:57 PM

Where the hell is Seven Samurai?
http://doctordoom.blogspot.com

We must stand in awe of the infinite capacity of the human mind to reject the introduction of useful knowledge.

#6 of 39 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted May 22 2005 - 02:59 PM

There's no such thing as a perfect top 100 list, but this one, although it has many great films on it, is pretty pathetic, in what's missing:

The Apartment
Rear Window
Raiders of the Lost Ark
North By Northwest
Vertigo

etc.

I mean c'mon. What's with the lack of love for Hitchcock. Posted Image

Barry Lyndon, but no 2001?!?

The Fly (1986) but no Jaws?!?

Smiles of a Summer Night but no Seventh Seal?!?

That fact that there are some great films on their list, doesn't make it a good list. I usually take these types of lists, and look for films I haven't seen and add them to my to watch list. But given the nature of this list, I think I'll pass.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#7 of 39 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted May 22 2005 - 03:13 PM

I just read their choices for the top films of each decade. Dodsworth the best film of the 30's?!?!?!? I'm hard pressed to think of anything I've read about film that I disagree more with. The 30's. A decade with films like: Bringing Up Baby The Thin Man Frankenstein The Bride of Frankenstein The Lady Vanishes The 39 Steps Gone with the Wind Mr. Smith Goes to Washington City Lights Modern Times It Happened One Night My Man Godfrey Alexander Nevsky Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs The Wizard of Oz Trouble in Paradise You Can't Take it With You The Awful Truth The Adventures of Robin Hood Goodbye, Mr. Chips Duck Soup M Gunga Din Twentieth Century The Blue Angel Little Caeser All Quiet on the Western Front A Nous La Liberte The Public Enemy I am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang Top Hat It's A Gift Holiday Ninotchka The Prisoner of Zenda Scarface King Kong Captain Blood The Grand Illusion Angels with Dirty Faces Stagecoach Only Angels Have Wings The Rules of the Game and tons more, and you give the best film of the decade to Dodsworth? Now that's pathetic.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#8 of 39 OFFLINE   Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted May 23 2005 - 12:27 AM

An interesting list but this should be called "Richard Schickel and Richard Corliss's 100 FAVORITE films"

#9 of 39 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted May 23 2005 - 01:31 AM

I certainly appreciate the effort in selecting non-mainstream films, but then this list should have a different title, like Jonathan Rosenbaum's alternate top 100 American films. I tend to agree with George about the missing titles, and especially about the inclusion of Dodsworth. I've watched approximately 140 films from the 1930s in the past 3 years, and Dodsworth won't even make my top 100 from that decade let alone Top 100 of all time. ...and the lack of "Wizard of Oz" & "Sunset Boulevard" is absolutely alarming.

#10 of 39 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,873 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted May 23 2005 - 03:10 AM

Whoa the biggest surprise considering how snooty this list is, is the non-appearance of 2001-A Space Odyssey, Seven Samurai and Vertigo. Jackie Chan's Drunken Master II takes the place of Seven Samurai, there's a first, and why not? I shouldn't complain my personal 100 greatest movies list would have been a lot worse than this, where's Lynch's Dune for chrissakes? It would have been in my 100. Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Top 10 Charts

#11 of 39 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted May 23 2005 - 03:48 AM

I quite liked Dodsworth, but it would not make my top 100 or the best film of the 30s. All-in-all, not really that bad a list, even though there is plenty with which to take issue. On the plus side, there is representation from the 20s to current films, there is a wide representation of film styles and genres (though no documentaries or westerns) and the list contains a selection of well-known and not so recognized films from a wide selection of directors. To disagree with Steve just a bit, I actually consider this an anti-snooty list: for me at least, a common theme is the watchability of all of these movies, The Man with a Camera being the only entry that I find less than enjoyable to just watch (of course I recognize that films like The World of Apu don't appeal to everyone, but for me, still very watchable).
¡Time is not my master!

#12 of 39 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted May 23 2005 - 04:15 AM

I'll go along with RAIDERS and 2001....

#13 of 39 OFFLINE   Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

• 1,055 posts

Posted May 23 2005 - 04:19 AM

Seth--L, I'd like to know why the Time editors didn't include Woody Allen's better-known works such as Annie Hall and Sleeper, both of which was superior to Time's choice. Mind you, that list has (in my opinion!) a lot of New York City 'elitist' mentality, and that often doesn't match what most Americans like.
Raymond in Sacramento, CA USA

#14 of 39 OFFLINE   Joe D

Joe D

Supporting Actor

• 839 posts

Posted May 23 2005 - 04:21 AM

If you look at the initial time reviews a lot of the movies received poor reviews, such as: Taxi Driver Raging Bull Once Upon a Time in the West I thought that was neat how they included the initial reviews, regardless of whether the movie was reviewed well.

#15 of 39 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,861 posts

Posted May 23 2005 - 04:24 AM

I'm happy that BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN made it onto the list. But I'm equally disappointed that THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD didn't.Posted Image

#16 of 39 OFFLINE   Bill McA

Bill McA

Producer

• 5,969 posts

Posted May 23 2005 - 04:31 AM

Agreed! I think it's a pretty good list also...I choose to focus on what's on the list rather than what's not on it. Most of my favorites are missing too, so what...it isn't my list!

#17 of 39 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted May 23 2005 - 07:00 AM

I´m another fan of The Singing Detective and I too was surprised and pleased to note its inclusion.
¡Time is not my master!

#18 of 39 OFFLINE   DavidBC

DavidBC

Second Unit

• 401 posts

Posted May 23 2005 - 01:41 PM

The Purple Rose of Cairo is in my own top 20, so I'm thrilled to see it here, it's a movie that seems to creep a little higher up the list every time I watch it. The Fly is also in my top 100, it's nice to see it get some respect in a mainstream magazine. Also, any list that has The Bride of Frankenstein, my personal #1, is going to seem OK to me.
I don't care for modern films. All crashing cars and close-ups of people's feet.
-Lillian Gish

#19 of 39 OFFLINE   AlexCremers

AlexCremers

Second Unit

• 432 posts

Posted May 23 2005 - 08:31 PM

Wow, 'Blade Runner' made the list. Who would've thought of that!

#20 of 39 OFFLINE   SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted May 23 2005 - 11:47 PM

No The Third Man?

Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users