What's new

Best SACD So far (1 Viewer)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I Never was a Elton John fan so I never bought anything by him but when I saw yourmusic.com had goodbye yellow.... for $11.98 (2cds & a DVD) I said what the hell there was a few songs I knew and sort of liked.
I threw the thing in my Mega Changer last friday and was simply amazed.
The wind was barely audible at the beginning but within a couple of minutes later when the last pipe organ kicked in my walls were shaking and things falling off my audio cabinet and I was wondering if I would get hit by a flying base speaker.
My Internal Organs were vibrating!!!
A friend of mine who played pipe organs all her life confirmed it was the most realistic recording of one she had ever heard.

That's my new 'show off disc' but only when the neighbors are all gone

The SACD RULES DUDE! (where's a girl with a lighter when I need one)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I agree...it's a night and day difference from the regular CD and I do show it off to guests that come by for a comparison head to head. However, "purists" may bemoan the fact that the surround channels are very agressive on this disc.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member

I got D&D Layla at the same time and even though it sounds good I would have never bought it if I had heard it. Without the agressive suround I would have stayed with the "30 year" CD which sounds great.
Most of the SACD have the stereo mix which purists can play.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Since I have never heard the before and from Evans response; that intro was not even hinted at until now?
Must thave been a complete let down to write & preform something like that and then hear it coming out of an AM Radio

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
There's no doubt (if you have the patience and time) that Funeral for a Friend / Love Lies Bleeding is great demonstration material on SA-CD and DVD-Audio. On my system the DVD-A sounds a tad better, but it's skewed that way anyway.

There are a few other great demo tracks on this disc as well, including This Song Has No Title and Grey Seal besides the "standards" this disc is known for.

If you need a short demo This Song Has No Title is what I always use.

Cheers,

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
My fav Sack-Dee's for sound include: Will & Rainbow's HARMONY, Joe Satriani's STRANGE BEAUTIFUL MUSIC, Jorma Kaukonen's BLUE COUNTRY HEART, Doc Powell's 97th & COLUMBUS. Spyro Gyra's IN MODERN TIMES, and Hiromi's BRAIN.

I don't think old stuff like Elton's re-releases compete so well with new records done up right. Glad you've discovered higher rez musica, Grant!:)

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Rachael,

Sound quality is meaningless if the performance is emotionless or drivel. There is at least one recording in your list that qualifies in this category.

Cheers,

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I'm buying SACDs and DVD-As at a pretty brisk pace, but I've not yet found one that sounds better, from a recording standpoint, than Alison Krauss and Union Station--Live (SACD).

Other notables for demos, though:
The Elton John re-releases
The RCA Living Stereo re-releases
Fleetwood Mac--Rumours
Seal--Best of 1991-2004 (especially some of the acoustic tracks)
ELP--Brain Salad Surgery (I don't think THEY even knew what kind of bass lurks on this one)

One of the most effective surround demos, with my friends and relatives, has been, funny enough, Love Song by Elton John on Tumbleweed Connection. I play the CD for people (it sounds pretty good on my rig and it's a simple, acoustic song with nice harmonies) and they like it. When I cue up the MCH SACD mix, so far, they've all been floored. The harmonies come alive and each vocal track can be heard in a way that two channel can't hope to match--I don't care how much $$$$ you have in your two channel rig. This simple little song is, IMO, the best argument in favour of MCH music.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
;) Holla John, couldn't you supply me with a list of your favourites so I can call them drivel? I'm curious, which one of 'em is the one you so-ooo dislike? I have a personal raffle goin' on which one it will be.;) :)

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Spyro Gyra. They aren't even bubble gum jazz, and yes I have the disc. Soulless elevator music.

Yes, it's well recorded, but there's simply nothing particularly appealing to me about any of their performances.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
You suprised me John! I thought you were gonna finger Hiromi, possibly or Doc Powell. I'm not the Gyra's bggest fan but I think they sound kind'a like what the Average White Band would sound like sans vocals. ...proably not quite as good though? I kind'a like 'em. I got their first album when it came out and have picked up another one every 5 years or so. You are a mean and naughty boy! I'm gonna tell Jay!;) :)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Thanks John, I'll check that one out since I am unfamiliar with the album (funny how I still use that term)

It took a while to find a TAP9000ES Preamp to upgrade my system since I like my TAE9000+(2) TAN9000. I have to admit Sony did a wonderful job keeping the TAP quiet but I can't understand why they stopped making them.

I don't have that many SACDs but 2 others I like are The Who's Tommy and a bargan used copy of Frankie Goes to Hollywood's Rage. Not anything great but 2 Tribes is pretty cool in surround and for $3 how can I complain.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Rachael:

No they don't. For one thing, they have no soul, nor do they have any concept of a true groove, and their material sounds about the same as when they first hit the scene 25 years or so ago.

Then there's the fact that Beckenstein has an almost non-existent tone quality to his horn, and is one dimensional in his "improvisational" ability.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Grant, I know where I can get the TAE9000ES in gold. I used to be tempted to buy one. It would look smashing with some of my other gold components, like especially the LD players. I like that model. I know somebody who has one and I've played around with it. Finding a TAP9000 to go with it was/is the deciding factor not to get the TAE.

I think alotof the TAP9000's around are imports with multi-voltage. Does your's have a switch? Later! :)

TomCW

Second Unit
Submitted for your approval (or not):

David Elias - The Window
Mark Knopfler - Shangri-La
John Hiatt - Bring The Family
and of course Jorma and anything by AK+US.

Tom

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Rachael,

Well, I believe that Steely Dan has delivered more groove on one track, Pretzel Logic, than Spyro Gyra has in > 25 years of recording. If you want even more groove at uptempo for a variation, add in Kid Charlemagne.

Most unimpressive. But that's just my opinion.

Cheers,

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Rachael,
Now you tell me!
I almost had one so many times, I thought they were a ghost or something. I finally got one in great condition for a good price and am as happy as a (animal name of your choice) in (disgusting fluid of your choice).
I don't think mine has a switch and it's in basic black which matches my Audio Rack and most everything else but 1 TAN amp.
The Goldie is hidden away so I am not a fashion don't!

I am not one for Steely Dan but that's just me, I got into too many music fights when I was younger and am positive that out of my 1000s of cds lps lds dvds sacd you would find some screamers.

The day I heard Steve Jones ex-pistol admit to the world he had a secret love of the song 'Hot child in the City', I broke down and said what the hell who am I to judge.

AricB

Second Unit
I too was impressed by GBYBR, and am not normally a big Elton John fan, especially since i was too young to hear him in his prime.

I think I like Madman across the water a little better though.

My best would be(SACD only):
Beck-Seachange
Steely Dan-Gaucho
David Bowie-Heathen
Pink Floyd-DSOTM
Joe Satriani-Strange Beautiful Music

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks