Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Once again...more car woes (electrical)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter

• 1,425 posts

Posted May 20 2005 - 04:54 PM

The other morning, I went out to start my 5.0 Mustang and the battery was completely dead. So, I went out and bought a new battery. The next morning, THAT battery was dead as well. I've borrowed a charger from my neighbor and charged them both back up, but something keeps draining them after installation into the car. I've thoroughly searched corral.net for advice on this, but have come up empty-handed. My multimeter shows no current draw between the negative terminal and body ground (with a fully-charged battery), and I've also performed continuity checks for shorts between the same two points...removing every single damn fuse and STILL showing continuity. All this has been done on advice from corral.net, and I'm still getting a serious battery drain. Any ideas?
Tim's Essential Music

Xbox Live gamertag: Stangboy124

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner

Second Unit

• 339 posts

Posted May 20 2005 - 05:09 PM

Maybe the alternator? Try disconnecting the hot wire and recheck.

#3 of 4 Guest_Eric Kahn_*

Guest_Eric Kahn_*

Posted May 21 2005 - 03:25 AM

to do the current draw test, you have to disconnect the negative battery terminal and do the test from the battery post to the disconnected negative battery terminal
all modern cars will have some milliamp draw for the computer memory and the radio memory

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter

• 1,425 posts

Posted May 21 2005 - 08:44 AM

Corrected my current-draw test, and still nothing. Zero. I did discover something interesting, though...with the battery cables off, the battery shows 12V as it should. As soon as I connect both cables, the voltage across the battery terminals drops down to 8.3V. Trying various things out, I unplugged the wiring harness on top of the alternator and suddenly the voltage across the battery terminals with both cables connected goes right back up to 12V. I'm presuming that my alternator itself, or at least a part of it, is faulty...
Tim's Essential Music

Xbox Live gamertag: Stangboy124