Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official STAR WARS Saga (episodes I to VI) Discussion Thread: Part 4

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2834 replies to this topic

#21 of 2835 Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted May 19 2005 - 07:18 AM

What would Yoda's Sith name be?

Cause going by that Pepsi commercial, he is using the force for personal gain. Yoda is going down he path of the Darkside.

#22 of 2835 Michael TLV

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

• 2,909 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted May 19 2005 - 10:00 AM

Greetings

IF the Jedi council were around in Luke's time ... he would not have been able to save his friends or his father ...

In TESB ... Yoda says that if Luke rushes off to rescue his friends ... he would destroy all they have fought for ... AKA ... let them die ... (Why does that sound familiar?)

In ROTJ ... Luke must save his father ... strangely similar to Anakin must save Padme or Mother ... and Luke ignores all to that end. Anakin waits too long ... because the Jedi council keeps holding him back ...

Vader saves Luke because he is finally in a position to save someone he loves ... something he couldn't do all those years ago.

Wonderful how ROTS makes us look at the original trilogy in a different light.

Regards
Michael @ The Laser Video Experience
THX Video Systems Instructor/ISF Instructor
Lion A/V Consultants Network - TLVEXP.com

#23 of 2835 ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted May 19 2005 - 12:24 PM

Quote:
One question I have, does Owen and Beru know what happened to Anakin?
From ANH:

Aunt Beru: Luke's just not a farmer, Owen. He has too much of his father in him.

Owen: That's what I'm afraid of.

#24 of 2835 Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted May 19 2005 - 01:03 PM

I think Owen and Beru don't know Anakin lived on and became Darth Vader. I've always assumed Obi-Wan told them that Anakin was killed in the war, and so Owen grows to hate the Jedi, since looking at it from his perspective, he had a step-brother he barely got to know because he was taken from his mother´s side when he was a boy, and thanks to his commitment to the Jedi, he was too late to save her when she needed him the most. Owen's fear for Luke is based on how the family he could have had was torn apart by their connection to the Jedi.
Man, an hour wasted on this sig! Thanks, Toshiba! :P

#25 of 2835 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,961 posts

Posted May 19 2005 - 01:09 PM

I'd assume Ricardo is 100% right. As far as the universe is concerned, Anakin is dead. Only Yoda and OW can confirm who Vader really is (and maybe R2). It's also possible Organa knows. I doubt OW shared that tidbit with Beru Posted Image

Take care,
Chuck
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#26 of 2835 Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins

Producer

• 3,887 posts

Posted May 19 2005 - 01:12 PM

If the universe thinks Anakin is dead, then the universe also has no idea that Anakin Skywalker ever turned against the Jedi.

So Anakin Skywalker remains a hero in the annals of the Republic, albeit explaining how he died would be a bit difficult.

#27 of 2835 Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted May 19 2005 - 02:51 PM

Matt that really sucks what happened to you.

It also sucks, although to a lesser level that my hometown didn't have a midnight showing and I just got back from ROTS.

I'm in the camp that won't vote until I've seen ROTS a time or 2 more. Tim is right, as of this moment there is just too much swurling around in my head and in my heart.

I think Ricardo hit the nail on the head in his assessment of what Owen knew and thought and what he feared for his nephew.

#28 of 2835 Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Lead Actor

• 9,070 posts

Posted May 19 2005 - 03:54 PM

Okay, I finally got the see the entire film. I'm not voting at this time either, though I'm leaning toward ESB as #1 and ROTS as #2.

I remember people saying (myself included) that AOTC was drastically different than all other Star Wars films. I think Sith only continues this. It really is nothing like anything I've seen before. I think Lucas did an amazing job of arranging quiet personal moments amidst a background of CGI fueled chaos. It really creates a unique texture.
In Heaven, everything is fine.
[ 2006 Films | 2005 Films | 2004 Films | 2003 Films | YMDB Top 20 ]
[ Star Wars | Sideshow | HT | DVDs | LDs | AIM: Maulrat87 ]

#29 of 2835 MatS

MatS

Screenwriter

• 1,599 posts

Posted May 19 2005 - 04:32 PM

Quote:
Plus it adds a lot to ANH but does hurt a scene. I'll never buy Vader's reaction to seeing Obi-Wan again. Instead of the circle is complete, how about you left me burning alive you *#^$%#$#$%!

totally agree Fred
just posted this in the ROTS discussion thread before venturing in here
Quote:
the one thing that now seems out of character in A New Hope is the encounter between Vader and Obi Wan

you would think after what Obi Wan did to Anakin that there would be a lot more 'fire' in Vader for revenge upon their first encounter since that incident... Vader seems too subdued.

you would think that maybe Obi Wan would be taken aback by Vader's mechanical appearance unless he had force premonitions about his physical state or read about him in the Tatooine Times

you would think Obi Wan would still even after all these years address Vader as Anakin (maybe not because of his belief Anakin is dead) or at least Vader and not Darth...calling him Darth seems equal to calling Dooku Count instead of Dooku.

just a few thoughts
be careful what we wish for though or George might go back and redo this scene

#30 of 2835 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,607 posts

Posted May 19 2005 - 07:27 PM

Vader might appear more subdued because of the way OBW has aged since they met. Vader has obviously grown stronger with the Dark Side, more arrogant and confident. No one's heard a thing from OBW in years.

I bought it before ROTS and still do. Posted Image

#31 of 2835 Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted May 19 2005 - 09:22 PM

I'll add that I also buy into Ricardo's interpreation of Owen's knowledge.

#32 of 2835 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,531 posts

Posted May 19 2005 - 09:50 PM

The force is strong enough in both of them to be able to communicate without saying a word.

That scene seems stronger now to me, because it is more clear why Obi Wan accepts a duel he knows will cost him his life, and we have a better explanation of the way he ends it. Much more powerful now. If you take every word that's said to have a hidden meaning known to both of them (or transferred through the mind) the way we know now, you'll look quite differently at it.

And perhaps Obi Wan is pulling another trick as well: distracting Vader's attention from sensing the presence of Luke, his son, and perhaps Leia.

BTW, we must assume now that he knows who Leia is when he iterrogates her and later when she has to deal with the destruction of the planet. Her identity is in fact no secret at that point of the story.

Cees

#33 of 2835 Dan Keefe

Dan Keefe

Second Unit

• 408 posts

Posted May 19 2005 - 10:00 PM

Cees I don't think we have to assume that...I don't think Annikin knew Padme was having twins. Otherwise, it would make no sense that he didn't see her as a possible threat in ANH.

The only thing I wish they would have shown was how Obi Wan communes with Qi-Gon...that would have been cool.

#34 of 2835 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,531 posts

Posted May 19 2005 - 10:09 PM

Dan,

But she is 'the princess', isn't she? How would anyone know that if she isn't Padme's daughter, officially?

Michael,

Quote:
Vader saves Luke because he is finally in a position to save someone he loves ... something he couldn't do all those years ago.
Very true. In fact, I think this is the essential device of the whole plan to finally destroy Palpatine. Anakin is - "that boy's our only hope / no, there is another one" - the Jedi who returns, unforseen by himself or the emperor and at a critical, decisive moment. "Father, help me!"

Cees

#35 of 2835 ZackR

ZackR

Supporting Actor

• 611 posts

Posted May 20 2005 - 12:47 AM

Could Senator Organa have become king/ruler of Alderaan? Just wondering. Maybe that is why Leia is called "Princess" in the OT. I don't know. Only a thought. I am sure that was never spelled out, but I guess it is possible. He was a senator, after all. Maybe he was elected king of Alderaan or something in the same way that Padme had been elected queen of Naboo.

Edited because I can't type this morning
You'll Believe A Man Can Fly
DVDAF

#36 of 2835 Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted May 20 2005 - 01:01 AM

The novel refers to him as the consort of the Queen of Alderaan. So Leia being a princess has nothing to do with Padmé, whose Queen title was only temporary, while she ruled Naboo.
Man, an hour wasted on this sig! Thanks, Toshiba! :P

#37 of 2835 ZackR

ZackR

Supporting Actor

• 611 posts

Posted May 20 2005 - 01:02 AM

Cool. So her adopted mother was Queen. Awesome. I have not read the novel. Thanks!! Posted Image
You'll Believe A Man Can Fly
DVDAF

#38 of 2835 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,531 posts

Posted May 20 2005 - 01:13 AM

The novel has no authority to me next to the films.
Posted Image

Cees

#39 of 2835 Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,852 posts

Posted May 20 2005 - 01:16 AM

Quote:
Could Organa have become king/ruler of Alderaan? Just wondering.

Actually, Bail is described as being of the Royal Family of Alderaan in the novel and(I think) also in the screenplay. He's actually a Prince, which would explain why Leia is a Princess. It might have been nice for someone to call him "Prince Organa" in the film in order to clarify this.

#40 of 2835 Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted May 20 2005 - 03:26 AM

Score: B+

I'll write more later.

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow