Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

a question about DLP RP setup

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Rob Michaw

Rob Michaw

Stunt Coordinator

• 134 posts

Posted May 16 2005 - 05:32 PM

A friend of mine just got a 50" Samsung DLP delivered to his house. He was all set up, and asked me to come over with Avia to tweak it (I do the tweaks on my buddies' gear).

I went over there, turned the lights down...and BOOM! I got hit with train headlights. That set is BRIGHT at standard mode. I switched into Cinema mode and started making adjustments.

After adjusting everything according to the disc (and my dozens of previous tweaking experiences), I popped in a disc of The Fifth Element (the newer, better video double disc...with terrible box artwork). It looked very film-like...but duller than I have ever seen it look on any other set. It looked "more film-like" perhaps, but still duller. In fact, I don't like how it looked in comparison to my 46" Sony HD-Ready CRT RP.

Any ideas why the followed steps make this seem so washed out in comparion to the other 30 times I've done it? Changing the value back to default values gave it way too much brightness and contrast, but it was able to get back its life as well. Any info would be good.

Also, I couldn't change the TINT while using the HD input. The color was able to work, but not the tint. Any ideas on that one too?
---
rob michaw

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Dave>h

Dave>h

Second Unit

• 371 posts

Posted May 17 2005 - 02:26 AM

HI,

I have the SAMSUNG 61" DLP and used Avia to tweak the settings. In my experience with this TV, there are MANY things you can adjust to effect the picture quality.

I can't recall all the specifics or what I currently have my set up as but I will give you a list of things to look out for:

1) Enable disable the DNIE engine on the TV - I think I finally decided it was better off than on (and having the DVD player set to progressive)

2) Warmer cooler colors - off

3) DVD player settings had the biggest effect on the TV picture quality

4) DVD black levels - on lighter not darker.

On number 3, I played around A LOT with the DVD settings (panasonic DVD). I owuld change one seeting on the DVD and recalibrate the TV, try it for a while, see if I liked it. Change another setting on the DVD etc. It was quite trial and error.

I have had the set for a year now and finally think I have all the quirks worked out and the colors look correct to me and I don't get any of the strange contrast issues I was getting and no more "clay faces", things like that. Actually I am very happy with the TV and it puts a big smile on my face everytime I watch a movie.

I know that probably hasn't solved your problem with your buddies TV but hopefully it can point you in the right direction.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Dan Keliikoa

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator

• 199 posts

Posted May 17 2005 - 04:38 AM

I would add that, for me, using Avia and VE gets a TV to good place, but then you adjust and tweak to taste FROM THERE as opposed to adjusting to taste from the factory defaults.

I always adjust to the disc, then throw on some movies I know well and adjust till it looks right to me, then I'm good Posted Image

Avia and VE should be regarded as guidelines, not rules.
"He is not Herbert. We reach!"

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Rob Michaw

Rob Michaw

Stunt Coordinator

• 134 posts

Posted May 17 2005 - 09:30 AM

Dan -

I completely agree...but this is farther away from anything I have seen before after setting it with the disc.
---
rob michaw

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Dan Keliikoa

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator

• 199 posts

Posted May 17 2005 - 09:36 AM

BTW Rob, I LOVED your line about dimming the lights, then BAM! Hit with the train headlights!

Posted Image

We may need to work with these new fangled digital microdisplay sets more than the CRT sets these discs were designed (more or less) to set up for, allowing for all the extra brightness.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Dan Keliikoa

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator

• 199 posts

Posted May 18 2005 - 04:24 AM

In fact, I just got my new JVC Dila delivered this morning Posted Image

Awesome, awesome set, but it's going to require some dialing in to optimize it...perhaps a little more work than my CRT set required for sure. But it smokes!!!

When I threw Shrek in just to to get an idea on slightly tamed factory settings, even then my eyes nearly popped out from the picture quality and sharpness.

It really is astounding how good projection technologies have gotten in the past seven years or so.