Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

attaching shelving in the garage...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Philip_G

Philip_G

Producer

• 5,035 posts

Posted May 16 2005 - 03:49 PM

I picked up some shelving materials and screwed it all on, but on second thought I didn't find the studs and simply screwed the vertical support rails into the 1/2" chipboard they used along the back of the garage. I'm sure the 2" screws I used penetrated all the way through this chip board, but I'm having second thoughts on its ability to support the weight, what do you guys think?

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted May 16 2005 - 04:13 PM

You'll be ok shelving styrofoam and peanuts, but anything heavier, and you're looking to have the whole thing collapse on you.

Even using a molly bolt (or whatever they are called) won't be any good for anything over 10 pounds or so.

Sorry! Start over and find those studs!

Glenn

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Mark Romero

Mark Romero

Second Unit

• 391 posts

Posted May 17 2005 - 06:59 AM

Buy a stud finder with a laser leveler.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Bry_DD

Bry_DD

Second Unit

• 345 posts

Posted May 17 2005 - 09:08 AM

I second the stud finder.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Philip_G

Philip_G

Producer

• 5,035 posts

Posted May 17 2005 - 10:20 AM

Not sure a stud finder is going to work through 3/4" drywall and 1/2" chip board. Maybe I can find them from the inside wall and measure.

What I'll do is move the 2 center supports, the ends need to be where they are, the shelf is 5' long and has 4 supports, so I think the middle two will be Ok

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Greg_R

Greg_R

Screenwriter

• 1,998 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted May 17 2005 - 10:48 AM

Wrong, a decent studfinder will work through that thickness of material.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,399 posts

Posted May 18 2005 - 07:38 AM

a stud-finder is best ... if you're worried about depth, some have a "deep scan" function.

but really, you don't even need a stud finder. your studs should be 16" on center. tap the wall to find the first stud (or look for an electrical outlet or wall switch - those are always attached to a stud). drive a really tiny nail into the wall ... if it hits a stud you'll know it. then measure out 16" and repeat the nail trick.

if you have solid support on either side of the shelves, then you can use toggle bolts for the middle support.

but, no matter what, make sure those shelves are properly anchored ... you'll be glad you did in the long run.