Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

HTF REVIEW: Scrubs - Season 1 - Highly Recommended...

DVD Reviews TV Reviews

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 of 27 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted May 15 2005 - 01:57 PM

Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#2 of 27 OFFLINE   Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,490 posts

Posted May 15 2005 - 05:44 PM

I've probably seen about 7 or 8 episodes total (mostly from the 3rd season) of this show. I can't wait to catch it from the beginning! Thanks for the review!

#3 of 27 OFFLINE   Abby_B

Abby_B

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted May 16 2005 - 02:26 AM

Great review! I also was a late-comer to Scrubs (though not as late as Dane) so I can't wait to see the earlier episodes. Sounds like an excellent package...

#4 of 27 OFFLINE   Antonio_G

Antonio_G

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted May 16 2005 - 03:45 AM

I never get to watch Scrubs but I always to it to see it so I can now start from the beginning which is cool...

#5 of 27 OFFLINE   Ravi K

Ravi K

Supporting Actor

• 707 posts

Posted May 16 2005 - 08:11 AM

Wasn't Scrubs shot on film?

#6 of 27 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted May 16 2005 - 08:19 AM

Not to my eyes... I see the scan-line aliasing and moire patterns characteristic of "video" capture. Had it been shot on film and mis-flagged as video, I'd see combing on motion which I don't see...so my guess is that it really is "video" from the start. Did they switch to film in later seasons? dave

#7 of 27 OFFLINE   Ravi K

Ravi K

Supporting Actor

• 707 posts

Posted May 16 2005 - 09:01 AM

IMDB lists the shooting format as Super 16, though they've been wrong before. Perhaps they've switched to 35mm or HD shooting? I'd be surprised if a show like this was shot in SD video in 2001 but I'll take your word for it.

I will wait until my med student friend buys this set to watch it Posted Image

#8 of 27 OFFLINE   Eric DiPiazza

Eric DiPiazza

Stunt Coordinator

• 174 posts

Posted May 16 2005 - 06:01 PM

Was any of the music changed for this release?

#9 of 27 OFFLINE   Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter

• 1,376 posts

Posted May 16 2005 - 08:04 PM

Yes. Some songs were replaced. I haven't stumbled over a definitive list yet, but it has been confirmed in another thread that a song by Five for Fighting and "All in my Head" by Shawn Mullins (featured in My Sacrificial Clam and on the Scrubs soundtrack!!) have been replaced. I'm sure there's more, but luckily a lot of the original music still seems to be there. Chris

#10 of 27 OFFLINE   Tom McA

Tom McA

Stunt Coordinator

• 166 posts

Posted May 17 2005 - 04:08 AM

Got my copy from bestbuy.com yesterday. Did NOT receive the BB-exclusive bonus disc (grumble...). That was the whole reason I bought it from them. Yep, great set. Still baffled why, even in Season 3, this show still doesn't merit the widescreen & HD treatment that so many other (less-worthy) shows do. If it was a creative decision by the producers to keep it 4x3, OK, but geez... The extra features are definitely plentiful. My "If I picked 'em" choice would've been a little "How'd they do that" piece on the head credits. I know - motion-control camera, timed actor choreography, etc, but would've been nice to see something about it. I think it's one of the more clever credits sequences out there today.

#11 of 27 OFFLINE   Eric DiPiazza

Eric DiPiazza

Stunt Coordinator

• 174 posts

Posted May 17 2005 - 05:42 AM

Thanks for the info Christian. I just had a feeling that they were going to mess with this show. No I'll have to wait and see just how much is missing before I purchase it. Oh and Tom, I HATE BestBuy.com because they NEVER include the bonus disc in their shipments even when you pre-order it! I have had so many fights with their customer service, (who suck), about this and they always give me the same BS response saying that you have to add the bonus disc to your cart. That, as you know, is a lie becuase their site always says that they will ship the bonus disc WITH the DVD as long as they are in stock!....end of rant.

#12 of 27 OFFLINE   Chris Bergmann

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted May 18 2005 - 09:08 AM

On another board they mentioned that in one episode JD's beeper plays some generic music but then Dr. Cox makes fun of JD having 'Who let the dogs out' as his beeper music - can anybody confirm this?.

#13 of 27 OFFLINE   Jarrod Hines

Jarrod Hines

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted May 18 2005 - 12:32 PM

I haven't seen the eps since they aired originally, but I thought that was a joke, Chris. Cox probably doesn't keep up with the current music scene, right? (I watched the season over a couple of days, so I can't remember which ep this is in to check it quickly; perhaps someone else will be able to do so.)

#14 of 27 OFFLINE   Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,490 posts

Posted May 18 2005 - 02:45 PM

This show is great. It can be hilarious in a subtle way one moment, then use literal or screwball comedy the next. And then it can be pretty thought-provoking and touching seconds later. Excellent blend of comedic and dramatic elements. The episode with Sean Hayes comes to mind since I just watched it last night. Anyway, I'm as taken with the first season as I was with the handful of season 3 episodes I saw beforehand.

#15 of 27 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 2,135 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted May 19 2005 - 12:41 AM

I'm pretty sure this show was shot on film from the very start. I can usually tell when video has been "filmised" for broadcast, and "Scrubs" never looks that way on the broadcasts (or on the DVD with my 31" non-progressive TV). I'm sure the show was edited on video, though.

I think "filmised" SD video (shooting on tape and adding a filter in post production to make it look like film) is mostly a British trend anyway (do any U.S. shows that shoot in SD video do that? I can't think of any).

#16 of 27 OFFLINE   Allan

Allan

Stunt Coordinator

• 207 posts

Posted May 19 2005 - 01:56 AM

I just watched the Pilot two nights ago and was shocked at how bad the picture looked. Anyone know why? Haven't had a chance to watch any other eps, but it is nice to hear that the picture improves dramatically!

#17 of 27 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted May 19 2005 - 02:06 AM

Andy,

great info. If it was shot on (16mm?) film, that's good to know...though the reality is that every "video artifact" known to man is visible in the image...scan-line aliasing, moire etc....so the film-source orgins are of no help in terms of final picture quality.

I don't think that's true of all other sit-coms shot on film. I seem to recall someone saying that the Will And Grace shows were shot *and edited* on film...and that the DVDs look really good because of it. I haven't seen them myself so I can't comment directly.

The old Star-treck series was shot on film (16mm?) and looks FAR BETTER than NTSC-video is capable of displaying. A future high-def format would expose even more detail from that series than you can see right now.

Same for M.A.S.H., which was shot and endited entirely on film...to my knowledge.

It's a shame that the producers of this show didn't think enough about PQ to either do all editing on film or at least go progressive-scan or 16x9. I mean, high-def costs $$ I know, but progressive-scan editing can be done on a MAC and is nothing new. Given that we're in a big-screen TV age...no excuse!

-dave Posted Image

#18 of 27 OFFLINE   Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter

• 1,376 posts

Posted May 19 2005 - 02:09 AM

I did a little digging. The episode with the "Who let the dogs out" reference is "My Nickname". So I did a quick comparison and on the DVD the beeper plays the same melody (Dixie) as on the TV version. No change there. Chris

#19 of 27 OFFLINE   ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait

Screenwriter

• 2,187 posts

Posted May 20 2005 - 03:17 AM

I just went through all 24 episodes in the last three days. Posted Image

The only complaint I have is about the packaging. It's a pain in the ass to put all the pieces together and get into the slip cover. Also making so that you have to take out disc 1 to get to disc 2 is always a bad idea.

Sarah Chalke in that purple dress in My Way or The Highway (episode 20)? Yowsers! Posted Image

#20 of 27 OFFLINE   Stas T

Stas T

Stunt Coordinator

• 65 posts

Posted May 20 2005 - 07:06 PM

Nope. MASH was shot on 35mm film.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users