-

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: Team America: World Police (Unrated Version)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
102 replies to this topic

#21 of 103 OFFLINE   Mark Schmitt

Mark Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator

• 247 posts

Posted May 16 2005 - 04:38 PM

Quote:
As an Englishman, the way they have so successfully satired the american war machine under the guidance of Bush et al is deserving of an oscar in itself, I'll bet it's one of Michael Moore's favourite film's

I don't think Michael Moore would like the film too much. After all they
make fun of him and then have him blow himself up.

I won't even go into Matt and Trey's real political leanings here. But watch the movie and see for yourself.
Beth is Dawg's bitch!

#22 of 103 OFFLINE   Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze

Producer

• 3,134 posts

Posted May 16 2005 - 06:59 PM

Let's not forgett that the "real target" was Bruckheimer, and his style of action movies he produces.

#23 of 103 OFFLINE   Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony

Second Unit

• 446 posts

Posted May 16 2005 - 08:31 PM

I put "as an englishman", because I can understand the irony of "America F... Yeah" after they have destroyed a city and the satire and double-layer jokes film in general when watched with an international perspective. And I hate to say it, but I don't think the pseudo-destruction of Paris was meant as a parody of a film, Bruckheimer or otherwise, instead more real life events...

And as for Micheal Moore not liking it, they ripped it out of George Clooney & Matt Damon too and they both loved the film!

M

#24 of 103 OFFLINE   Lawrence X

Lawrence X

Stunt Coordinator

• 63 posts

Posted May 17 2005 - 12:55 AM

Being English, you're watching from less of an 'international perspective' than just about any other non-American. England's support for the Iraq war was unique in terms of International action, casting the UK's lot with the Americans and away from the rest of Europe (and rest of the world). Point is, ole chap, you've got as much blood on your hands as we do. So don't tell me about international perspective.

#25 of 103 OFFLINE   Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted May 17 2005 - 12:58 AM

Please, let's can the political discussion. This isn't the place for it.

Talk about the DVD.

-Scott

#26 of 103 OFFLINE   Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze

Producer

• 3,134 posts

Posted May 17 2005 - 01:05 AM

Quote:
I don't think the pseudo-destruction of Paris was meant as a parody of a film, Bruckheimer or otherwise, instead more real life events..
I agree no doubt about that[WWII], I was reffereing more to the overal feel of the picture.
Quote:
And as for Micheal Moore not liking it, they ripped it out of George Clooney & Matt Damon too and they both loved the film!
I have a feeling that Clooney and Damon both have a better sense of humor then Moore.

#27 of 103 OFFLINE   Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony

Second Unit

• 446 posts

Posted May 17 2005 - 01:07 AM

Quote "Point is, ole chap, you've got as much blood on your hands as we do"

I don't recall ever saying that wasn't the case! Was merely making an observation on satire and irony in the film that seem's to have been taken totally out of context - mainly due to the fact that certain posters didn't seem to get the irony in the film or even watched it!

Wasn't ever intending to be political or nationalistic so that end's my participation in this discussion.

M

#28 of 103 OFFLINE   TedT

TedT

Second Unit

• 422 posts

Posted May 17 2005 - 04:59 AM

Quote:
I'll agree that any satire of the American war machine deserves an Oscar if for no other reason. But it also deserves mention of our partner in crime, AKA Mini-Me, the good and honorable Tony Blair. I haven't seen it yet, but I can't imagine there aren't some excellent bits about Blair in there.

Perhaps you shouldn't see it. You may find it quite insulting! It's quite a different movie than what you may think it is.

Loved the movie. Will be picking this up later today for sure!

#29 of 103 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted May 17 2005 - 07:08 AM

Quote:
I'll agree that any satire of the American war machine deserves an Oscar if for no other reason. But it also deserves mention of our partner in crime, AKA Mini-Me, the good and honorable Tony Blair. I haven't seen it yet, but I can't imagine there aren't some excellent bits about Blair in there.

Wow, talk about not having the faintest idea of what a movie is actually about. I know you have not seen the movie, but trust me, Matt and Trey are never putting out a "satire of the American war machine". Satire of the French, Bruckheimer films, Hollywood anti-war types, the Thunderbirds, terrorists, and communist dictators that profess a love for show tunes - Well, that's another thing entirely!

#30 of 103 OFFLINE   Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted May 17 2005 - 07:34 AM

Quote:
Wow, talk about not having the faintest idea of what a movie is actually about. I know you have not seen the movie, but trust me, Matt and Trey are never putting out a "satire of the American war machine".

Ummm... I did see the film, and that would be one of the many things that they satirize. You don't think the destruction of Paris and Cairo satirizes the notion that the U.S. can't seem to find a valid target and lashes out blindly, downplaying "collateral damage?" You don't think that placing an actor in a position of gathering human intelligence satirizes the lack of reliable "human" intelligence gathering?

I'm not coming down on one side or the other on the war effort, here, or making commentary on the specifics of the notions I just outlined (beyond stating that those ideas exist) - HTF is not the place for political discussion - but to say that the film doesn't satirize the "War Machine" is to show a blind spot in your perception.

-Scott

#31 of 103 OFFLINE   Jace_A

Jace_A

Second Unit

• 293 posts

Posted May 17 2005 - 10:23 AM

The movie certainly satirises American foreign policy under Bush. It's what saves the movie from being a rather simplistic (not to mention obvious and, in my opinion, tedious) left-bashing polemic.

#32 of 103 OFFLINE   TedT

TedT

Second Unit

• 422 posts

Posted May 17 2005 - 10:41 AM

I think it more satirises what certain people THINK is the American foreign policy under Bush (and even more so, Clinton!)

#33 of 103 OFFLINE   Mark Schmitt

Mark Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator

• 247 posts

Posted May 17 2005 - 12:27 PM

Let's just say they make fun of the extremes of both sides and leave it at that.

But they save the most venom for Bruckheimer.

Has anybody watched the deleted scenes? Once again, M&T rip on Affleck. Make sure not to miss the storyboards either, for some extra deleted stuff.

Even without commentaries, a great disc!
Beth is Dawg's bitch!

#34 of 103 OFFLINE   Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

• 1,830 posts

Posted May 17 2005 - 02:18 PM

Bought the theatrical cut.

Excellent supplements! In spite of all the frustration Matt & Trey probably experienced making this film, I still think they pulled off great satire, and took the stuffing out of Bay, Bruckheimer, American foreign policy, self-serving actors, and...

"Matt Damon!!"

This should have been the Thunderbirds movie!
I don't like SPAM!

#35 of 103 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,519 posts

Posted May 17 2005 - 04:23 PM

Rented the unrated version. I thought it was pretty funny. There were some moments that had me laughing out loud.

However, the infamous "unrated" part was probably just as well left out. I believe I read somewhere that it was just put there to distract the MPAA from other material, and that Parker actually didn't even want to put it on the DVD. Stone then talked him into it. Of course, I don't know how much truth is in that story.

Also, for those who saw the theatrical version...

Is the extended projectile vomiting in the theatrical version?

I have to admit I was laughing at that, but it probably wasn't really needed, either.

If I do buy this, I'll probably go with the R-rated one. Normally, I'd prefer the unrated version, but in this case, I have a feeling the theatrical cut might work better. It's not that I was that offended by those two bits; they just seemed to stick out, since there weren't a lot of other "gross-out" gags (unless you count all the puppet body parts flying around).

They do it all the time on South Park, so it doesn't seem as out of place there.

Team America's satirical stuff (of all the sides) had me rolling, though.

Thanks for the review, Scott, and for being fair. Posted Image
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#36 of 103 OFFLINE   Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted May 17 2005 - 04:27 PM

I still think the funniest bit is that they portrayed Damon that way only because when they got the puppet back it looked retarded. Posted Image

Is the extended sex scene the only bit that was extended? Everything else appeared like in the theatre (from what I could tell, including the long vomit scene).

#37 of 103 OFFLINE   jonathan_govols

jonathan_govols

Stunt Coordinator

• 123 posts

Posted May 17 2005 - 04:34 PM

Let me say that I have a new appreciation for the film after looking at the very informative and entertaining featurettes. Anyone who rents or buys the film should definately check them out.

I, for one, think that the Unrated cut is the way to go. I think the added part of the sex scene fits in perfectly and I wish it could have put in the theatrical cut of the film.

#38 of 103 OFFLINE   MattHR

MattHR

Screenwriter

• 1,482 posts

Posted May 17 2005 - 05:12 PM

From HomeMediaRetailing.com:

Regarding the "unrated" puppet-sex scene:

Quote:
The notorious puppet sex scene reaches scatological proportions in the new cut. Parker and Stone originally included the extreme sex acts to distract the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) from other scenes. It worked, and they got an ‘R’ after taking the scene out. But when deciding to restore the scene on DVD, Parker and Stone debated putting the shots back in. “Matt wanted to put them in, and I didn’t want to put them in,” Parker said. “We were making this decision at 4 [a.m.] on a Tuesday night, when we were finishing our last ‘South Park’ before vacation. And finally I was like, ‘All right, I’m tired.’”

Regarding the lack of a commentary track:

Quote:
While “South Park” DVDs and the duo’s previous films Orgazmo and Cannibal: The Musical feature entertaining commentary tracks, the creators felt it was too soon to record one for Team America. “We’re just burnt out,” Stone said. “Emotionally, you’re just not at a place where you can really talk well about the movie. I think it would be really kind of an angry commentary track.”

Regarding DVD extras:

Quote:
Parker and Stone said they aren’t fans of DVD extras. “I think DVDs should just be the movie. As long as the movie is there and it’s the way it should be, that’s the statement,” Stone said. Even so, Team America is loaded with featurettes on the technical aspects of puppeteering, miniatures, production design, costumes and more. The duo wanted to do justice to the artists who helped them realize their vision.

#39 of 103 OFFLINE   Lawrence X

Lawrence X

Stunt Coordinator

• 63 posts

Posted May 18 2005 - 04:24 AM

I was feeling sorry for the reviewer as I went through his contrarian review. Another reviewer who's completely eluded by irony, subtlety and more esoteric humor.

Well after seeing the movie, I almost completely agree with Mr. Kimballs' review. The humor was less funny, and the politics less brave than I had imagined.

Politically, everyone's happy almost. There's an irony filter that progressives are supposed to see in the literal pro Bush administrations stereotypes. But the irony is thin enough that it would be missed entirely by someone not looking for it - including Fox news luddites that will be tickled pink by the racism and war mongering.

#40 of 103 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,507 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 18 2005 - 04:30 AM

Oh yes, Parker and Stone are such racists. Posted Image
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

Back to DVD, Blu-ray & Digital Reviews

Forum Nav Content I Follow