What's new

In your opinion, which movies should've had a sequel & which shouldn't have? (1 Viewer)

Mark Ram

Agent
My sister-in-law just rented Matrix Reloaded & Revolutions because she hadn't seen them yet. I told her not to bother as it would probably just bring down the memory of the first as it did with me. It got me thinking there are other sequels that never should've been made. Here's my list of sequels that probably shouldn't have been made:

1. Matrix Reloaded & Revolutions
2. Tremors 3+ I thought tremors 1 & 2 were decent.
3. Sting II
4. Major League 2+

These are also movies I think should've had sequels made but haven't:

1. Galaxy Quest
2. Leon/The Professional

Mike Guyder

Auditioning
This is one topic that could go on for sometime, I'll add to the mix

My Top Ten Worst Sequels List

1. The Sting II
2. Jaws: The Revenge
3. Caddyshack II
4. Halloween III: Season of the Witch
5. Arthur 2: On The Rocks
6. Major League: Back to the Minors
7. Smokey and the Bandit part 3
8. Beverly Hills Cop III
9. Jaws 3
10. Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles

Sequels I would like to see

Tango & Cash 2
Cobra 2
Midnight Run II

Oh and Mark, I read somewhere a few months back that a Galaxy Quest sequel as well as a follow-up to Leon may become a reality. I know that Natalie Portman has shared intrest in reprising her role for a Mahtilda movie....

Only time will tell

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Outstanding thread idea! :emoji_thumbsup:

Worst sequels:

Friday the 13th part V A New Beginning
Halloween III
Jaws 3 & Jaws the Revenge
Troll 2

Sequels I would like to see:

Christine 2
My Cousin Vinny 2
Monsters Inc. 2
The Incredibles 2
The Relic 2
Die Hard 4
Predator 3 Some say that AVP was Predator 3, I say give me a REAL sequel.
Sneakers 2

I could go on with this forever, but i'll leave some for others. :)

Jacob McCraw

Stunt Coordinator
Worst Sequels (not already mentioned):
From Dusk till Dawn 2: Texas Blood Money
Batman and Robin
Son of the Mask (I can only assume since I won't be watching it)

Sequel I would like to see:
Sideways - I really want to spend more time with these characters and see what happens to them next. That should be the basic reason for making a sequel, NOT how much money the first installment made.

clayton b

Stunt Coordinator
The Matrix was absolutely begging for a sequel. There's no reason to say that there shouldn't have been another one made. It was left wide open after the first film there's really no reason not to make another one.

That being said, I would have liked to have seen them handled a little bit better. Reloaded works do to the great action set pieces, but Revolutions doesn't seem to fit at all hardly.

DavidBC

Second Unit
I would also love a Sideways sequel but fear that it would turn out to be like Texasville, the sequel to The Last Picture Show, or something awful like that. Anyway,

Sequels That Should Never Have Been:
Halloween Resurrection (Laurie Strode is not dead!
This never happened!)
Alien Vs Predator (Terrible idea terribly executed)
Mimic 2 & 3 (I know I'm just about the only person who's crazy about the first one, but it deserved much better)
The Exorcist sequels (although Exorcist II: The Heretic is one of my Bad Movies I Love, and I am cautiously optimistic about Dominion)
Anyone else ever catch Look What's Happened To Rosemary's Baby? Oy...
The Two Jakes
I'd want to say The Evening Star, but I think that Shirley MacLaine's Aurora Greenway character simply deserved a better sequel

Sequels That Should Have Happened
There were huge plans for a Nashville sequel, Nashville 12, Robert Altman and the whole cast was back, an intriquing script was written (Ronee Blakely would have played a Barbra Jean impersonator!), but it fell apart at the end, Lily Tomlin later regretted that it never happened.
I want Alien 5!
I wish Addams Family Values hadn't flopped. That perfect cast should have done one more!
X-Files 2!!!
Galaxy Quest could (and should) have been a franchise if Dreamworks had handled it right, but maybe it would have been dumbed-down?
Limbo :D (not really...)

Chris Stainton

Second Unit
I have never been a big fan of sequels. There are a few I like but in general I prefer just one stand alone movie.

The sequel I wish had never been made is T2. The first movie was perfect as it was and if they had to make a sequel, I wish it had been set in the future to show how they won the war.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
Major League 2+ definitely makes my list of sequels that shouldn't have been. I have to disagree with wanting a Sideways sequel. I loved the movie but like letting the characters 'go on with their lives' off screen.

Animated sequels in general seem to be pretty good (Toy Story 2, Shrek 2), so I'd be happy to see another Toy Story or Incredibles 2.

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit
One of the movies that I always thought would have a sequel, based on how it ended, was INNERSPACE.

That was a fun movie that could have had a cool sequel.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

I don't know about that. The movie ends with Neo basically being all-powerful. There aren't many places you can go from there without seeming anticlimactic :)

I still want to see Buckaroo Banzai vs. The World Crime League.

Joe:C

Second Unit

I have to disagree with you. T2 is still one of my favorite movies (along with the original). If you had said Terminator 3...

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE worked well as a freakish one-time affair, an isolated event. It never should have had any sequels.

I've always wished NIGHT SHIFT (1982) had a sequel.

RobLe

Stunt Coordinator
The cast of Lost in Space originally signed up for a 2 or 3 picture deal, plus the movie left it open for an infinite number of sequels. I know I am definitely in the minority here, but I loved the movie and would have liked to see them go through with the planned sequels...

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member

:emoji_thumbsup: My thoughts exactly when I saw this thread along with Buckaroo Banzai.

Another I'd like to see is "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid".

As far as worst sequels - I have to agree with Shaun_KE and Robert regarding "Highlander 2". It's a lot like the Matrix sequels... you've got a character who's basically all-powerful in the end, but then you make a sequel. Why?

In fact, there are quite a few films that would probably fall into the "classics" category if they hadn't made a sequel and put them into the "let's beat this dead horse" category.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks