What's new

***Official PS3 Discussion Thread - E3 Launch Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
PS3 will launch at this year's E3. Will be interesting to see how it looks and how Sony and Microsoft will position against each other. Please use this as the official PS3 discussion thread.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I keep checking on all of the major gaming sites for details and I haven't seen anything yet. I know there is supposed to be a press release from Sony today. Does anyone know when?

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
The Conference runs from May 17-19, and the floor to the Expo won't be open until May 18, so I don't expect to hear anything today. I don't know how frequently the official website will be updated, but I'll be checking this, along with the tech and gaming sites, fairly often throughout the week. G4TV is also covering E3 with 2-hour daily recaps, so I should be set. :D

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I thought the same thing-perhaps there'll be something up later in the day?

Either way, I think that tech-wise Sony will probably have learned from their mistakes with the ps2, just like MS has learned from their Xbox mistakes. They also won't have the luxury of lead time this time around.

I do know that the Blu-ray player out of the box will be a BIG factor in their sales though. It'll be interesting to see if the HD-DVD/Blu-ray merger talks result in a ps3 delay though.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
The Sony Press Conference finishes in 20 minutes. After that, lots of subscription websites will run the show at 6:00C. Should be interesting...

Microsofts conference ends tonight around 10:30 I believe.

David_Lu

Grip
Here is :

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05...s_6124681.html

Sony’s let go of the final specs and shots of the PlayStation 3. Here you go!

* It will support Blu-ray (obviously), DVD±R/W, CD-R/RW
* Backwards compatible with the PlayStation 2 and original Playstation
* One 3.2GHz Cell processor—total system performance rated at 2.18 teraflops (Twice what Microsoft is claiming the Xbox 360 will do); it will have 256MB system RAM 3.2GHz, and 256MB GDDR VRAM at 700MHz
* The nVidia graphics will be called the RSX (”Reality Synthesizer”), and will trump the Xbox 360 with 1080p (yes, that’s a p) graphics support.
* There will be a 2.5-inch hard drive
* Memory Stick Duo slot, and very surprisingly, an SD and CF slots
* Bluetooth support with up to seven wireless controllers
* Six USB system ports

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
WOW!
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/16/news_6124681.html

I want to see a side-by-side comparison against the 360. It sounds like Microsoft gets out of the gate first but Sony trumps with the technology.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Bloody hell, just when I thought nothing was going to beat Xbox 360, Sony decides to release a system that will PLAY HD-DVDs too! Man!

Doug

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
PS3 Xbox 360
Processor 3.2GHz Cell w/ 7 SPEs 2.0 TFLOPS 3.2GHz G5 w/ 3 Cores 1.0 TFLOPS
Memory 256MB XDR @ 3.2GHz 256MB GDDR3 @ 700MHz 512MB DDR3 @ 700MHz 10MB Embedded DRAM
GPU 550MHz NVIDIA 500MHz ATi
Best Display 1080p Standard Dual Screen Output 1080i Optional Single Screen Output
Network 1000BASE-T Ethernet Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g 100BASE-TX Ethernet Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g
Audio 5.1 Digital 5.1 Digital
Wireless Input x7 on Bluetooth 2.0 x4 on 2.4GHz RF
Storage Removable HDD *TBA Removable HDD 20GB
Release Spring 2006 November 2005
Dimensions About 13.5" x 3.25" About 10.25" x 2.5"

-http://gear.ign.com/articles/614/614837p1.html

Evan M

Second Unit
Now if only it wasn't butt ugly ...

If their online component is comparable to XBoxLive, they might make me consider it... but I'll still have to go with XBox 360, I think.

Sean*O

Second Unit
I think those numbers are misleading. It would not be out of character for Sony to tout system features and numbers that don't come close to reality, just recall the pre-launch hype they created for the PS2.

One suspicious thing, is that on the PS3 specs listed on this page: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/614/614682p1.html

...it reads that total FLOPS performance for the PS3 CPU to be 218 GFLOPS.

It then goes on to list that the GPU can do 1.8 TFLOPS, and subsequently, the total floating point performance of the PS3 is listed at 2TFLOPS (the sum of the CPU FLOP, and GPU FLOP numbers.)

Re: Xbox 360, The only numbers regarding TFLOPS I have seen, have been numbers in reference to the CPU, which was quoted at 1 TFLOP. I have yet to see any numbers regarding the FLOP performance of the GPU in the 360.

Wouldn't it be something if it turns out that the 360 GPU also pumps out something like 1.5 TFLOPS (not unlikely) and when added to the CPU generated numbers (as Sony have done) the final total would actually be signifigantly higher on the 360?

I just find it odd that the hardware running the PS3, being so similar to that of the 360, would actually double the raw math power like that, especially because the 360 will be running a CPU of the same type and the same clock speed as the PS3, but with a triple core.

I just don't trust Sony any more after they lied about the specs on PS2 pre-launch.

I hope the PS3 is as powerful as they are selling it. I guess we'll all see.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
The 1TFLOP number bandied about by MS is widely agreed to include the GPU figures already, that's the only possible way they could reach such a number.

Please point to me where Sony lied about PS2 specs, all of the hardware specs were as they said, and the tech demos they presented were jaggie messes that were all surpassed by launch software.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
...I hope that the video for Killzone 2 is real time and not some damn cgi.

If it's real time....God help me.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Gabriel.H

Stunt Coordinator
I think that the hardware of the PS3 is overkill for the games that are going to be coming out for it. Games won't be advanced enough to take advantage of that much power. And besides...it's games that matter, and with Halo 3 launching the same day as PS3, I believe this will mark the day of Microsoft becoming either king of the console market or at least closer to bumping Sony out of the #1 spot than anyone has ever been.

Users who are viewing this thread