What's new

***Official Xbox Next Discussion Thread - Broadcast Launch 3.12.05 Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Tonight is the broadcast of the Xbox Next (I believe officially called "Xbox 360"). No doubt there will be a tonne of discussion on the next gen hardware, which Microsoft will release in 2005. Looking forward to seeing it this evening! Please post all related discussion here.

Joe McCabe

Second Unit
MAJOR letdown.

Minor graphic updates. None of the usual "wow" factor attached to the first viewing of "next gen" graphics.

Wireless controllers are already available for the current console, just not standard....so no WOW there.

The HD all the time is nice, but the graphics leave alot to be desired, so it's a wash.

I don't play online, but it appears there's some interesting updates to that system.

Overall, for me....a BIG yawn. No sale.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
There were some kick ass games, like Need for Speed, but overall the graphics could use some work. Thankfully they have 6 months left of dev time.

Something to remember:

All games are running on alpha Xbox 360 development kits (machines that possess only two of the three CPU cores in the final spec, as well as a run-of-the-mill ATI graphics card as opposed to the final, custom GPU set)

From 1up.com

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I was very unimpressed with the show, however, it was pretty much what I was expecting - all "show" and little substance. Regarding the limited footage of the system that was shown:

1. The design of the 360 does look pretty cool - although this doesn't really matter to me. I've never been one of those people who complained about the size or design of the original Xbox. I care much more about what's inside.

2. All of the new consoles will (reportedly) have wireless controllers. Although that's a nice feature, it's also not that big of a deal for me.

3. I was highly disappointed from the game footage that was shown. First, I'm growing tired of seeing FMV's instead of in-game footage. The games I was looking forward to seeing the most were Madden and Project Gotham Racing 3 - both FMV's and no gameplay footage. The gameplay footage of Perfect Dark and Call of Duty 2 did look good, however, didn't look that much better than Halo 2. Maybe I'm just jaded because I played SC: Chaos Theory for an hour just before the show.

4. The ability to change the faceplate of the 360 is kind of neat, but again, I'm more interested in learning about the guts of the system.

I would imagine that Microsoft would rather discuss the more technically-oriented information at E3 and would focus the MTV show on other areas, so I can't really complain. I can say, however, that unless the in-game 360 footage is really great, I will be holding off on purchasing the system.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I missed the MTV show but came across this link:
http://msxb.wmod.llnwd.net/a274/o2/o...ny_v1_750k.wmv

I am intrigued, but I'm not planning on buying a new console on launch day. I can't wait to see how the PS3 stacks up against the 360. It seems that the next generation is going to be all about the games, as I expect both systems to offer hi-def games and 5.1 sound at a minimum.

Some thoughts:
The horizontal/vertical orientation seems to be matching Sony, nothing innovative.
The changeable faceplate is a silly gimmick.
The multimedia functionality is promising--if it includes programmable DVR functionality, we are getting serious.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Backwards compatibility is being discussed at E3. The Revolution (or whatever Nintendo ends up calling it) is backwards compatible (they want to keep the GameCube alive in some way until at least 2007, I believe) and the PS3 will most likely be backwards compatible.

The graphics look good, and some of the footage shown was probably "in game" graphics (as in, it will look like that but wasn't actually running), but at this point the exclusive games and features are going to make each console unique. Microsoft is going the "everything online and customizable" route.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
If that video doesn't get you excited about XBox 360, there's something wrong with you... or maybe you just don't like video games... either way, the video was very interesting. I like all of the "other stuff" that it's going to do. That mixed with everything being 720P/1080i and Live compatible (and I'm not even on XBox Live now, but I would bet this will convert me,) gets me ready for this unit.

It didn't really focus on the games, and to be honest, how much would it really need to improve? I've decided I don't care if it's backward compatible or not, the features are interesting enough that I want it.

I'll be very interested to see the PS3. I'm a lifelong PS/PS2 guy, up until recently where I just stopped using it. (Sports gamer, XBox has all the same games with better graphics, faster load times, and smoother gameplay.) Has Sony's delay in making a PS3 mean they're running out of ideas? What can they add to the PS3 to make you choose between it and the the 360? That's a pretty tough sell.

Either way, I can't wait to see one or both hooked to my Sony LCD -- I love playing MVP2005, it looks great!

Doug

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I have been quite pleased with my Xbox, especially since I modded it, but I have a few problems with the 360.

1)The graphics don't seem to be that far ahead of what can be accomplised on the current system. I know that these are early versions of launch titles, but they can't be too early if the console is launching this year. Also, there should be at least a couple of titles that blow people away. I haven't seen anything that does so yet.

2)There are still a great many people in this country who do not have broadband Internet service. It's a mistake making Live such a huge part of the experience. MS seems to be pushing the game companies to support Live in a big way. The current incarnation of the Xbox already has too many games that rely on Live for a decent experience whilst skimping on the single player experience. Also, it seems to be a way to force folks to continually pay MS if they want to fully utilize the hardware that they paid for. Proprietary networking is not the way to go.

3)Media capability, at least as far as I can tell from the official releases, is wanting at best. The ability to stream content from my PC is a start, but again it relies on home networking. Another added cost.

4)Software price. EA has already said that they're upping the cost of their titles to $60. I expect other companies will do the same. To be honest, I rarely pay $50 for a game unless it's a certified Gold Medal Classic. It's just too much. I flat out won't pay $60.

It will be interesting to see if the info that comes out a little closer to launch time changes my opinion. It could happen. Like I said, I really have been happy with my current Xbox. Anyone else a little non-plussed so far?

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I missed the MTV launch so I can't comment on the graphics. As a matter of fact, I haven't seen anything that shows what the games look like. It would have been cool to include that in the video posted above.

But, just looking at the specs compared to the first XBOX, I can't imagine that the graphics aren't going to be substantially improved.

The only problem I have is the white controllers. They are going to get kinda nasty after a while.

The standard wireless controllers are a big deal for people that sit far away from the console, like me.

PGR3 is enough to get me to buy the 360.

John Knowles

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I currently don't own a console, but was considering an XBox (the current one)...now I'm wondering if I should wait. But there are several games out now I want to play and there doesn't seem to be any clear indication that they'll run on the 360. Will the current one go away before the new one? Hmm, tough choice...and then there's the PS3.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Brian --

Far criticism about relying on broadband. I guess I get spoiled and forget it's a "luxury". I think that's what excites me most about it -- I don't use XBox live currently because it's main function is to just play games against other people at a cost. If XBox is going to offer that service free (or upgraded with a cost) and add other benefits like consistent downloads, movies, trailers, audio, streaming, whatever, I think that's pretty cool. If XBox did all that now, I would probably pay for Live, but it doesn't (unless I'm wrong and it's gotten deeper.)

The other thing I find interesting is the HD aspects. If this is supporting all 720p/1080i games, what does that mean exactly? Does this mean that you will be looking at a true HD game, or that it's upconverting the lines? Also, what's this I read about streaming HD feeds through the XBox, are they telling us this will also act as a receiver for HD content ala Dish? (Plus a DVR function?) There's a lot of things that need a little more explanation out there, but that all get me more than interested.

Doug

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Ne-XBox would've been a better name. Where the hell did 360 come from?
I agree white will get dirty.
They havent said if it was backward compatible or not. Personally, I dont care if it is. I only play Halo 2 anyway, and that will be re-released as Halo 2.5 on the 360 as an HD title from what Ive read.

RANDY FISHER

Second Unit
"Where the hell did 360 come from?"

I assume it's because they think people are so stupid that they will think that the PS3 just HAS to be better than an XBOX 2. So the name had to have a 3 in it. MS has been known to skip software rev numbers on other products because of this.

Randy

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris

They couldn't use "2" because it would seem inferior to the PS3. My guess is that they took "3" and wanted to make it sound better.

I am curious about the resolution as well. Given that they are sticking with the standard DVD media, I imagine that they are somewhat limited in the amount of hi-def content they can put on one disc. Requiring all games to support 720p/1080i + 5.1 surround + Live content seems taxing.

I wonder what the games will look like on a standard-def display?

Blu-ray (or whatever compromise is worked out for PS3) will offer much more disc capacity.

Kevin G.

Second Unit
What will be the price piont??
Has anyone heard??
Sixty bucks for a game IS OUTRAGEOUS!!
MTV's gig was lame. I am, however very intrigued by the features that will be standard.

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
Being that this is an HD all the time console, what are the chances of it supporting DVI out?

Just curious b/c my Apple 23" HD monitor will be my only tv/monitor at college next year, and it only accepts DVI, so I'm hoping I can plug my XBOX 360 into it...

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread