Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Canon EOS Rebel XT vs Nikon Coolpix 8800

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Chris Huber

Chris Huber

Second Unit

• 416 posts

Posted May 11 2005 - 01:17 PM

Dad is looking for a new digi cam... Both have close to the same specs, but which one would you guys recommend?

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   ScottHH

ScottHH

Stunt Coordinator

• 174 posts

Posted May 11 2005 - 02:32 PM

I think Dad should decide if he wants an SLR (in which case you are buying into either the Canon or Nikon system) or a digital camera, such as the Coolpix. I don't see how you can compare these two cameras.

The Rebel XT is a digital SLR. Nikon's digital SLR is the D70 (about to be the D70s).The Coolpix 8800 isn't an SLR. Canon's closest alternative is probably a Canon PowerShot G6.

In the Overall Conclusion, in its review of the 8800, dpreview.com summarizes the difference between an digital SLR and a digital camera read the conclusion

I've used the Canon PowerShot G3 (which I recommended that my Mom purchase), and I have a Nikon D70. I already had a Nikon film SLR, so the decision to buy the Nikon vs. the Canon was already made for me. I think the G3 is a great camera, but the shutter lag drives me nuts. That said, I already owned a speedlight and 4 Nikon lenses, so I had a lot of the stuff you'd need to buy to make the SLR as versatile as the 8800 from the get go.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter

• 1,302 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted May 11 2005 - 07:42 PM

What Scott said.

There is no comparrison between the two, and IMO the Canon is probably the best Digital SLR camera you can buy for $1000 (Nikon D70 lovers will argue Posted Image).
"Charlie don't surf."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users