What's new

Problems with I Love Lucy - Season 4 "See Post #44" (1 Viewer)

DaveK

Second Unit
I read some reviews on Amazon, and it seems that there's missing dialogue on some of the episodes, and that people believe syndicated cuts are being released on DVD.

Also there's a picture problem with the episode "The Fashion Show".

Did anyone buy this set?
If so, please advise.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I didn't notice any picture problem on "The Fashion Show" but I'll rewatch it tonight when I get home from work and double check. I've been bouncing around the discs, but so far haven't noticed any missing dialogue yet.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The review on Amazon was pretty detailed as to what was cut. I hope this issue is addressed.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Okay...I contacted lucyfan.com and a message was posted that "L.A. at Last" and several other episodes are indeed cut. Gregg Oppenheimer is investigating and a message will be posted there when information is available.

DaveK

Second Unit
Are there any problems like this in the Season 2 and 3 sets, because I was thinking about buying them.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Not that I know of. A couple of episodes run a minute or two short, but I'm not sure that they are cut. As far as the quality, they are beautiful. Get them.

DaveK

Second Unit
I wonder if Paramount will release restored, uncut versions of The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour and The Lucy Show on DVD.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
There are no cuts in the seasons 2 and 3 sets. In fact, Gregg O. has gone out of his way to try and restore cut footage from prints wherever possible. This is probably an oversight on someone's part, and hopefully will be corrected, unlike some studios I could name...

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, Gregg O. will not be around for Season 6. He wants to leave the project the same season that his father did.

DaveK

Second Unit
Some of my favoite episodes from the fourth season include the ones when they're preparing for their road trip and the ones en route to California.

Also Mr. and Mrs. TV (Phipps are a great big bunch of gyps)

ROFL

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Can anyone confirm the specific missing dialogue. I can't for the life of me remember any missing dialogue from the episodes mentioned, but I don't have the Columbia House tapes anymore to compare them to.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I think so. I thought they did have cuts, due to the fact that the earliest episodes run short, but regulations on commercial time in prime-time didn't begin until early 1952, and I have no other tapes to compare them to, so I would say go ahead and buy season 1.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Season 1 is being rereleased in a 5 disc slim case instead of the current 9 disc set . Price is also being reduced to the same as the later season sets. Those interested in Season 1 should wait for the rerelease.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

How integral was Gregg Oppenheimer to these releases? Are they going to suffer in quality because of his absence? For example, was he providing special features from his family's collection?

Also, I've read where these sets feature the original opening credits as opposed to the more familiar "heart" opening. Are these integrated into the episodes or are they a bonus feature?

I've had my eye on these sets for awhile but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Thanks!

Steve

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Gregg Oppenheimer supervised the restoration of the shows, from missing footage to bonus features. The bonus features for Season 6 may or may not suffer in his absence. No, the original credits are not integrated into the episodes. There were several different opening credits throughout the history of the show, and most (if not all) variations of the openings can be seen in the bonus features. I prefer the heart on satin openings anyway...they are more uniform and classy, IMHO. The same is true of the closing credits. One version of the original closing can be seen on the Season 3 set. These sets are fantastic and feature beautiful transfers, a wealth of extra features, and great packaging. Here's hoping Season 4 will be fixed (another reason why it's great Gregg is still there...he is looking into the problem.)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am happy Paramount brought down the
price on the repackaged Seson 1.

Although I already own all the individual
Season One discs, I am going to buy the
repackaged set just to save valuable
shelf space.

I'll try selling the individual discs
at a cheap price on Ebay or the forum.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I'm glad someone else mentioned "The Fashion Show." It's always been one of my favorites and one I went to early on. It DOES have an overly "digital" (for lack of a better word) feel to it. I haven't noticed it yet on any other episode, but I also haven't gone all the way through them.

The effect isn't awful, but it feels as though the original elements weren't in that great of shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks