What's new

The Warner Brothers chat ANIMATION question you have been waiting to be answered..... (1 Viewer)

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
At the time of release, didn't Warner reps say that a uncensored replacement disc for whichever disc accidentally included the censored cartoons would be available for trade-in soon?

I haven't heard a word about this in months. Any follow up?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
It was never offically announced. I thing Jerry Beck commented that the problem was known on another site and that a replacement program was expected.

I wouldn't mind if they stuck the uncensored cartoons on a future volume instead of replaceing the first disc. It would be neet to compare them.

John Whittle

Stunt Coordinator
This would be a good question for the Warner's chat if you can get in and ask it.

Would love to know, Jerry Beck can't comment due to his working relationship with Warners.

John

Kevin/M

Agent
Yeah, this nneds to be adressed at the Chat, it's gone unadressed for far too long. And i would be glad to be the one who brings it up.
Plus, someone needs to inquire about the Tex Avery set that's supposedly on the boards

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just heard from Warner Brother's animation department
regarding your question concerning the Tom & Jerry
Collection.

Here is their response...

This is probably all the information I am going
to get from their animation department so kindly
please do not post any questions regarding other
animation titles.

However...

You are certainly more than welcome to respond
with any comments or concerns directly related to
what has been posted above.

Once again, I don't expect any further responses
but I am sending the department a link to this
thread, and knowing Warner, I am certain that they
will be closely watching what you post.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I guess it's good that Warner actually did respond, but it just seems like any other form response someone would get. Either way you look at it, the situation seems bogus. Either WB is using the loophole of "it does not state that all the shorts are uncut" as a backpeddle, or they never intended to release the more controversial shorts uncut in the first place. Either way, it does not look like that disc replacement that was hinted at by Jerry Beck is ever going to happen, which is a shame.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I agree with Will, this looks like a cheap "out" of having to replace disc's with the proper uncut versions. I hope we get to see them some day. this is probably why we don't have a Tex Avery set. :frowning:

That said, it's still a fine set, just a flawed set.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
I don't care what the packaging says. The use of edited prints was an oversight, according to Jerry Beck. They know full well we want uncut cartoons and bought the set expecting just that.

Stop C.Y.A. and fix it already, Warner.

This doesn't sound like something George Feltenstein would normally tolerate. I wonder if he's in the loop on this.

Eddie Estes

Agent
In the chat that announced this set it was stated that the set would be:
A:Chronological
B:Uncut and unedited.

Either your spokesperson was uninformed or(more likely) you got cold feet or we were lied to. I am betting the it is a combination of the last two. Jerry Beck said it was not Warner Home Video policy to release edited cartoons.

As hard as it is for me to believe it seems that Disney has more backbone than Warner in the packaging of their more controversial animation.

Warner you have taught your customers for classic animation a valuable lesson in your integrity.
I use to buy your animation packages sight unseen.
NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!

Eddie Estes

Agent
Oh and saying these shorts were remastered is a blatant lie!!!!
The original negative were lost in a fire years ago!!!
Step up and be honest and take care of your customers.
WE WANT TOM AND JERRY UNCUT!!!!!

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
"Remastered" does not necessarily mean "new transfer from original elements". In fact, it almost never means that.

Technically, transferring someone's VHS recordings of the old TBS Tom & Jerry's Funhouse to a professional format would be a "remaster", as ill advised as that would be.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I'm just dissapointed at the way this is being handled. I bought this set knowing some of the shorts were cut because it was rumored from a reliable source that WB was did not become aware of the inclusion of edited shorts until it was too late, were angry about the oversight and that the situation would be corrected. But now it seems that it is just being swept under the rug. If they include the edited cartoons in their entirety on the next set, that might remedy things, but if the next set contains edited cartoons, I guess we know where things really stand.

Eddie Estes

Agent
I think we all know what these companies mean when they say remastered.
I can't see them putting "we copied these from VHS masters we had laying around" and selling very many of them.
The Looney Tunes were remastered if I am correct from the negatives so I think when they market films like this they know the impression they are putting forth!

Mark Anthony

Second Unit
Quite frankly i'm appalled.

It's taken them 6 weeks to come up with a response that basically tell's their consumer's to "get stuffed if you think we're repressing it" even though they know uncut, cleaned up-prints are what collectors want and expected in the first place.

Even though 3 of the short's are edited it's the picture quality of the majority of short's that is what really annoy's me - they may be remastered, but they are filthy prints - covered in dust, marks and general wear that could easily have been removed.

WB may generally release some great product, but they have really bitten the hand that feed's them this time.

M

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
THE SOLUTION FOR THE WARNER ANIMATION PROBLEM:

1. Include the 3 edited Tom & Jerry cartoons on Vol. 2 as a "From the Vault" type of bonus. This is more practical than replacing the disc.

2. Issue a disc with the SEVEN faulty Looney Tunes masters from Vol. 2: Gorilla My Dreams (DVNR), Book Revue (non-progressive), Have You Got Any Castles (DVNR and non-progressive), I Love to Singa (non-progressive), The Big Snooze (DVNR), Hollywood Steps Out (non-progressive), and A Corny Concerto (non-progressive). This would be more practical than replacing two discs.

Not only is your reputation at stake, future volumes of the LT's are at stake. After all, why should we buy more Golden Collections if they have a few incorrectly mastered cartoons?

Pretty please with carrots on top?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks