Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Ben Folds - Songs 4 Silverman - Comments?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   John*K

John*K

Stunt Coordinator

• 146 posts

Posted May 11 2005 - 06:14 AM

Just bought the new Ben Folds (dual disc), and I'm interested in hearing comments/reviews.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Jim_C

Jim_C

Screenwriter

• 2,059 posts

Posted May 11 2005 - 07:22 AM

Damn, I had no idea there was a new Ben Folds album out. I'll be picking it up on my way home tonight. I love just about everything he does.

BTW, have you been ordering the EP's from his website? Sunny 16 and Speed Graphic are pretty good. I haven't picked up Super D yet.
You want to upgrade again?!!

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   John*K

John*K

Stunt Coordinator

• 146 posts

Posted May 11 2005 - 01:35 PM

No, I haven't, but I've been thinking about it. I'm afraid I'm not as familiar with his work as I should be.

Actually, I was thinking about buying the deluxe edition directly from the web site. That version includes the Songs for Goldfish EP, but it wasn't clear whether the multi-channel version was also included. So I decided just to get the Dual Disc at Best Buy for those reasons, and because I couldn't wait for mail order! Posted Image I may still go back and get the deluxe edition on principle. I much prefer buying from the artist directly, if I have an opportunity to do so.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Abby_B

Abby_B

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted May 16 2005 - 05:57 AM

I haven't bought this yet but am thinking about it. Ben Folds rarely (if ever) disappoints. How is it, John?

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   _Matt_L_

_Matt_L_

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted May 16 2005 - 06:13 AM

The special edition version (the one thats a book basically) does not include the surround version. The special edition does contain a DVD though, which has some behind the scenes/making of the disc videos.

That said you can also order just the Song for Goldfish disc from his website without having to buy another copy of the album.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Jim_C

Jim_C

Screenwriter

• 2,059 posts

Posted May 16 2005 - 06:42 AM

Well, after listening to SFS a couple of times I can say that I like it.

That said, IMO it's not as good as Rockin the Suburbs. For me, RtS was consistently very good with a number of moments when it's brilliant. SFS, on the other hand, is one notch below...consistently good with a number of moments when it's very good.

At first I was disappointed but I've already upgraded it to 'like' so I'm sure it will continue to grow on me. The same thing happened with The Autobiography..., which I now consider to be Folds best album after RtS.
You want to upgrade again?!!