What's new

Adam-12? (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I have watched a few episodes of S7 for Adam-12, especially the last episode. The last episode was neat, especially wth Reed's going under covered and receiving an award for saving Milloy's life.
I am so glad that i have S1-S7 of Adam-12 as Adam-12 was one of my favourite show as kid. I was also under the impressed the police foces also used the show as part of their training.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Not sure what happened to the replys that are gone but if anyone wants to help resurrect this thread Please do.

I am midway thru Season 1 and love the show. I like the fast 25 min episodes. I know most would prefer an hour long format I like hot brisk the storylines run, I'd imagine they were trying to convey multiple issues thru a day on the job. Nice seeing the guest stars pop up, especially Cloris Leachman as the drug dealing bad mother. :)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Powell&Pressburger said:

Not sure what happened to the replys that are gone but if anyone wants to help resurrect this thread Please do.

The title of the thread changed. Perhaps that had something to do with it.

I'll restate that I loved the show because it was rarely, if ever, melodramatic. I believed virtually every second of every episode. I'm not sure I can say that about any other dramatic scripted TV series I have ever seen, especially one that ran for 7 seasons.

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
I didn't watch this show until 2010. I was wanting to watch some old cop shows & TV Land wasn't showing classic TV anymore. I found episodes online & thought I'd try it. I like the 2 episode so watched enough that I decided to buy season 1. I was hooked.

What I love is the fact that they deal with mostly non violent crimes. When they finally had to pull their guns near the end of the season, it had real impact!

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, thanks guys. I was coming to the end of watching Bob's Burgers, and the other Adam-12 thread made my decision for me on what series to watch next.

So, the pilot... Created by Jack Webb, Produced by Jack Webb, Directed by Jack Webb, written by... John Randolph. Or, as Mr. Randolph is better known as, Jack Webb.

And you could see Webb's fingerprints all over the character of Pete Malloy.

In the pilot, Malloy was basically Joe Friday in a uniform. There are a few scenes where Malloy comes off as quite Joe Friday-ish, but the most noticeable is early in the episode where Malloy was describing the precise details of the patrol car to Reed. That was a Joe Friday speech if ever I've heard one.

Not that that's a bad thing, but it's nice to know Malloy evolves.

And, hey, Millie Helper caused a disturbance in the middle of the street.

I miss the Universal logo at the end of the show after the Mark VII hammer, though. I hate Universal's mid-2000s tendency to cut the original closing logos and add the then-current logo to the beginning of the show. At least that wil be over with when Shout takes over with S2.

stringbean

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Snorbitz
I had to import seasons 2 and 3 of Adam 12 here in the UK and I just recently ordered season 4 which is on the way to me now. All these releases are of course by Shout and although they are Region 1, I have no problem playing them on my multi-region player.

What's up with the Universal season 1 set though? I never did buy it because I read all the negative 1 star reviews first to find out why customers were unhappy. Discs freezing, skipping and pixelating. Plus I learnt that season one are flipper discs.

All this put me right off season 1 because I don't want the hassle of having to return the set back to the US if it's defective.

Season 1 is available here on iTunes if i want to download.

stringbean

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Snorbitz
Carabimero said:
The sets I got were all single-sided DVD 9s. Had no problem with them.

Only the the sets from season 2 onwards by Shout factory are single sided. Universal did season one and they are double sided discs.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm one of the six people who had no problems with the s1 flippers.

Back in the day I played them on a Sony DVD player, and my recent watchthrough was split between a fairly recent Philips blu player and a 2010 Magnavox blu player. No freezing, no skipping, no issues. So I got lucky.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Every Universal double sided release I got I had to copy to single-sided DVD-Rs just for my sanity since I went through more freeze-ups and glitches with those when they came out than I could keep up with. Now that I use the copies for viewing, I never have that problem.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I started Season 2 of Adam 12 from Shout and i'm almost done with Disc 1 and is it just me or is the quality subpar compared to the Universal transfer of S1? The image looks smeary just odd. Do all the Shout seasons of Adam 12 look this bad? It looks like there is some odd filter over the image esp during any fast movement.

stringbean

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Snorbitz
Powell&Pressburger said:
I started Season 2 of Adam 12 from Shout and i'm almost done with Disc 1 and is it just me or is the quality subpar compared to the Universal transfer of S1? The image looks smeary just odd. Do all the Shout seasons of Adam 12 look this bad? It looks like there is some odd filter over the image esp during any fast movement.

I have seasons 2 and 3 and I find the picture to be very good actually. Then again, being an archive TV collector, I watch all my DVD shows on a large analogue 4.3 cathode ray TV. I can't stand watching archive material on modern day LCD/LED TVs because too many artefacts show up on them.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
the image quality for DVD shows is generally very good on a HD tv as long as the discs are played thru a BLU player. DVDs played thru a DVD player to a HD tv usually look bad. S1 from Universal looked nicely unconverted and had a decent film like appearance as much as DVD can, but Season 2 is a smeary mess. I just hope the quality gets better. I own a lot of other SHOUT TV show DVDs and even shows shot on tape and they don't look smeary like this season does so far.

Maybe Universal didn't remaster any further seasons after Season 1 since they gave up on it.

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
I have all seasons except for the final one & the picture looked good to me. I do remember thinking there was a slight drop from the season 1 set but it wasn't by much. Maybe not quite as sharp.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Funny how my memory made them all 9s. I had to get out my season one set and look at it; that's how sure I was that they were 9s.

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Carabimero said:
I'll restate that I loved the show because it was rarely, if ever, melodramatic. I believed virtually every second of every episode. I'm not sure I can say that about any other dramatic scripted TV series I have ever seen, especially one that ran for 7 seasons.

Agreed. I like the fact that Malloy and Reed are low key. If burglars are in a building, Malloy and Reed call for back-up. They don't try to be hot dogs, kicking the door and going in with guns blazing.

A while back, I showed an episode of the old Mission: Impossible series to some young nephews. Having seen the Tom Cruise movies, they asked me, "Which one is Ethan Hunt?"

I explained that there was no such character in the original series. I told them that the old M:I series was so much better than the new Tom Cruise movies. Nobody in the old M:I series was a hot dog. Nobody went in with guns blazing.

Their eyes glazed over as soon as I mentioned the old series. In their minds, I was just another adult telling them that "things were better in the good old days".

You would never see Malloy or Reed try to be an action hero. If Tom Cruise were to remake Adam-12, he'd never call for back-up. He'd kick the door down, somersault 15 feet in the air while blasting away with guns in both hands, tuck and roll into a kung fu stance, whirl on the balls of his feet, knock the last burglar on his ass, then kick him unconscious, all while flipping a couple of bottles of gin and vermouth in the air, then pour martinis for the hostages.

I appreciate Adam-12 because they try to be realistic, not action heroes.

jperez

Second Unit
Real Name
jorge perez
Agree completely, although I'm not that big fan of Adam 12. But I do enjoy the fact that most of their cases seem to be routine, not the obligatory shoot'em pups.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I had not seen it in many years when I got the DVD sets and was delighted how well it held up. It simultaneously took me back to the seventies, sitting at home watching with my mom and dad and brother, but it also gave me a level of story and realism that my older self could appreciate. I watched every episode, in order, and had a fine time. Don't remember a single stinker episode. How dramatic scripted series can I make that statement about? Not many others, if any. I look forward to revisiting the show again in a few years.

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
One of my favorites is Season 1 ep 24, Log 172: Boy, the Things You Do for the Job. A rich girl tries to sweet-talk Malloy, but he gives her a traffic ticket anyway. Intrigued by a man who seems immune to her charms, she relentlessly pursues him for a date.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks