Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What size Screen??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted May 10 2005 - 03:30 PM

Hi I am in the process of Building my HT, I would like to make a 100" screen with "screen goo", but I noticed yesterday when I was playing the extras on The Matrix Reloaded it swithced between widescreen and Full screen size??

If I make the screen 100" and I am viewing the Extras would the Full screen be OFF the screen??

Is there some adjustmemts I would have to make on the projector to compansate for the Full screen widesxcrren switching?? I would like to use the FULL "100" for the DVD movies and HDTV??

I will mainly be using the HT for Movies "DVD" and some HDTV.
Posted Image
"IF the Facts don't Fit the Theory Change the Facts"    Albert Einstein

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   John S

John S

Producer

• 5,460 posts

Posted May 11 2005 - 02:50 AM

The extras in 4:3 are a fairly consistant gripe on here. I think you just have to deal with it as it stands right now.

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit

• 324 posts

Posted May 11 2005 - 03:53 AM

I believe when it switches to full screen(4:3) the sides get black bars if your PJ and DVD player are in 16:9 aspect ratio, which they should be. The true HD material will be 16:9. When I watch HD, most of the commercials are not 16:9 and the bars appear on the sides.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   David Noll

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted May 11 2005 - 06:39 AM

Gerald,

Fullscreen is "smaller" than widescreen. Like said above, black bars should be on the sides of screen when in fullscreen.

David

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted May 11 2005 - 09:04 AM

Oh OK sorry to Gripe but I just wasnt sure THNX ALL!!! :b

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   John S

John S

Producer

• 5,460 posts

Posted May 11 2005 - 09:10 AM

Well it is good gripe, on an anamophic / enhanced for widescreen displays DVD, the dang extras should be in widescreen as well in my opionion anyways.

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted May 11 2005 - 11:59 AM

YES I thought the same thing Im paying for the Widescreen edition it should be in widescreen sheesh Posted Image

Seriously I doubt there is much we could do it is a shame they did this ???

I have never watched any extras part of the DVD and when I noticed what was happening all I could thinkof that this is really gonna mess up my screen size
Posted Image

Do ALL DVD Extras do this??

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit

• 324 posts

Posted May 12 2005 - 01:58 AM

Hey Gerald, which projector are you going to use?

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted May 12 2005 - 03:42 PM

I am currently leaning towards the Sanyo PLV-Z2 but still not sure. do you have a suggestion or are you looking as well, I am basically deciding on a projector on my needs and so far the PLV-Z2 is looking real good, plus it just dropped $200 since the Z3 came out.

I did have an interesting visit to the Overture HT store in Delaware and I saw a $40,000 projector in action very nice but WELL out of the Budget !! I didnt see them side by side but I was at Theater Xtreme a week earlier and they had a DLP projector $1,400 on both they had it on HDTV, I really didnt notice too much of a difference?? I did see them both in HDTV and DVD just cant see paying more for NOT much more.

I had seen screenshots where the color on the face was more lifelike on the more expensive projector but I figure with a few fine adjustments it will look just fine. It will be definetely better than my VERY OLD Sony TV lol :b

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit

• 324 posts

Posted May 13 2005 - 02:40 AM

I'm using the Infocus 4805 which is DLP. It's cheap at Costco. I paid 1000.00 with a coupon. It has a great picture and has cult status over at avsforum.com.

http://www.avsforum.....?s=&forumid=68

I have a 100" screen and sit back about 16 feet. Works for me.

Good luck on what you decide.