-

Photo

Questions about 4x4 multiswitch

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 GaryP

GaryP

Second Unit

• 265 posts

Posted October 30 2001 - 08:07 AM

Guys,
Is the multiswitch included with Sony's 24" dish a 4x4? I can't tell as it is only referred to as a four-way, which I suppose could denote 4x2 or 4x3 as well.

Also, will a 4x4 multiswitch along with a 24" elliptical allow me to:

1)Run both tuners of a DirecTivo unit in addition to running an HD Box (which would service a separate TV)?

2)Run both tuners in a DirecTivo unit in addition to running a plain ol' vanilla non-HD receiver (which is currently servicing the above mentioned separate TV until I get the HD receiver)? Posted Image

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Gary

------------------
Hey bartender.....Joboo needs a refill.

"You can't bring that weak ass stuff up in this humpy bumpy"
-Terry Tate:Office Linebacker

#2 of 10 Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,125 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted October 30 2001 - 12:21 PM

Yes to both. It combines the signal for two LNBs and provides four outputs. How you combine the outputs is up to you. Two dual tuner Tivos, four single tuner receivers or one dual tuner Tivo and two single tuner receivers. They also make 4x8 switches which are even more flexible.

-Robert

#3 of 10 GaryP

GaryP

Second Unit

• 265 posts

Posted October 31 2001 - 08:39 AM

Robert,
Thank you sir, just the answers I were looking for.

Gary
"You can't bring that weak ass stuff up in this humpy bumpy"
-Terry Tate:Office Linebacker

#4 of 10 Ed L

Ed L

Agent

• 34 posts

Posted November 01 2001 - 04:49 AM

Hello All-
The information on the 4x4 is great,but does anyone have or know of a good site to see diagrams of the different wiring scenarios you mention? Also I will be a Directv newbie in the next 30 days (DirectTivo)or so and am wondering the best way to use the existing cable wire runs the builder has installed in each room to output the DiTV to different rooms? planning ahead I had a satelite connection installed by the builder for this but it doesnt homerun to the cable panel (builder wouldnt budge on this..darn!) coming into the house but instead to a media niche. any thoughts?

Thanks

#5 of 10 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,177 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted November 02 2001 - 04:44 PM

Robert_J, did I understand you correctly? The multi-switch will take the feed from a dish with dual LNBs, and supply 4 outputs? So one dish can feed both tuners of a dual tuner receiver, and you've still got two left over?

Is the switch installed in or at the dish itself?

Thanx.

------------------
Johnny

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#6 of 10 Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,125 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted November 03 2001 - 02:02 AM

Johnny,
The 4x4 means four inputs and four outputs. The two dual LNBs on the dish are connected to the switch and the four outputs of the switch feed four tuners (in any combination). The switch that comes with the 18x24 dish is mounted on the back of the dish. I'm pretty sure the switch is weatherproof but I would still take extra precautions and weatherproof the connections. If four tuners is not enough, then JVI makes a 5x8. Four satellite inputs AND an antenna input along with eight outputs.

BTW, how's LR? I moved away almost a year ago. I was in the Cherry Creek area near Sam's Club.

Ed,
I'm not sure about diagrams but there are some basic rules to follow. You can't split the cable. If you could there would be no need for a mulit-switch. Each run of coax goes directly from the switch to the receiver. You can add surge protectors and decorative wall plates (but no spitters). If you are planning on a dual tuner receiver (DirecTivo or Ultimate TV) then you need TWO runs of coax from the switch to the receiver. If you are also going to have an OTA antenna, then you probably need to put that signal onto the coax as well. The standard 4x4 swith will not do that. You need either a 5 input or a 4 inut with 4 diplexors (on the input side). You will then split the signal back out at the receiver using another diplexor.

I hope this helps.

-Robert

[Edited last by Robert_J on November 03, 2001 at 09:02 AM]

#7 of 10 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,177 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted November 03 2001 - 06:09 AM

Robert,LR is pretty much the same, though it seems the summers last longer every year. That might be because I'm getting older and I grew up San Diego where there is no weather.

My situation is this, We have one regular dish with a dual lnb feeding two DTV receivers. I'd like to replace the one in the living room with a dual-tuner PVR. That means I need three outputs. Can I just add a switch to the current arrangement to provide the necessary outputs?

------------------
Johnny

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#8 of 10 Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,125 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted November 03 2001 - 09:48 AM

Since you have a "regular" dish you need this . Just ignore the OTA input unless you have an antenna. This will give you the extra output you need.

-Robert

[Edited last by Robert_J on November 03, 2001 at 04:49 PM]

#9 of 10 John Schmiedt

John Schmiedt

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted November 13 2001 - 04:53 AM

Ed L,

This link might help you with different configurations:
http://www.directv.c..../prewire65.pdf

John

#10 of 10 Bob Jackson

Bob Jackson

Stunt Coordinator

• 100 posts

Posted November 13 2001 - 02:19 PM

You need to run a single cable for each tuner from the 4x4 (or 4x8) multiswitch (ie two cables for DirecTiVo with both tuners).

No splitters. No daisy chainging.

--

If you only need to see one satellite and have only one cable you can get stacker units to stack both polarities onto one cable. See: htp://www.avsforum.com/ubbtivo/Forum5/HTML/006226.html

You can also use good splitters with the stacked signal.