What's new

Wages of Fear out of print may 16, new se coming out later (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.criterionco.com/asp/

Wages of Fear to Be Rereleased in Late 2005

The original Criterion edition of Henri-Georges Clouzot’s masterpiece of suspense Wages of Fear will be taken out of print on May 16 to make room for an all new DVD edition of the film. The rerelease, due out in late 2005, will feature a brilliant transfer from newly restored film elements. Keep an eye on this space for more details in the coming months!

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator
I'm glad I waited. I asked Jon Mulvany a couple of years ago, when the film was restored and re-released in theaters, if it would be revisited by The Criterion Collection and his cryptic reply was that it "sounds like a good idea" but that it wasn't on the schedule. This is great news, all of the previous re-releases have been outstanding. I can't wait to see what they revisit next!

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I'm happy to hear this & I'll likely buy it but personally I'm glad I didn't wait six years for this DVD as I have enjoyed watching this film many many times in that six years.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
YES! YES! YES! [Naked rhumba dance]
I worship this movie; one of the most enduring 'lessons in filmmaking' by a Master of Cinema.

I emailed Mulvaney about a boxed set along with Friedkin's Sorcerer and he said it was a good idea and would pass it on to acquisitions, so who knows what might happen, as the current Universal DVD of Sorcerer is horrendous and Universal don't seem to be bothered about that fact. The current Criterion is pretty mediocre, also and both films needs extensive extras. But getitng a new Criterion SE of Wages will be glorious.

Oh, joy!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Great job Gordon! As soon as I saw the thread I thought that the second disc would be perfect for Sorcerer. I just saw this for the first time a year ago, and haven't seen Sorcerer, but would gladly pick up such a set, as I have heard good things about Sorcerer as well.

I'll still probably pick up Wages regardless. Great flick.

How about getting the rights to the episode of "Little House On the Prairie" where charles has to transport nitro in a horse driven wagon.:D

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Ha ha haaaaah! Was there such an episode, or am I being naive?! Nice one, Russell!

Charles, Criterion are working on Playtime as we speak (probably). They made or are making tests on how to transfer optimally from 70mm to hi-def and how best to present the 6-track sound mix. Extensive extras are also surely in the works. I personally am expecting a September-October release; December at the latest. Jour de Fete will also be released, presumably with both the black and white and restored Thomsoncolor versions, plus extras. I'd also love to see Trafic released.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

There was indeed such an episode,I think it had Lou Gossett Jr. as a guest star. Charles loses a crop or something and has to come up with some quick cash, so him and Mr. Edwards take the nitro gig for the high risk pay. There was another guy on the team who didn't want to work with Lou because he's black, so Edwards threatens to kick his ass. Lou ends up saving the day when the racist looses his nerve with all that nitro bouncing around in crates packed with cotton. It was actually a pretty decent episode, well, as decent as an episode of "Little house On the Prairie" gets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks