Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

HTF REVIEW: The Life Aquatic... Fan Recommended

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 of 65 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted May 08 2005 - 05:15 PM

Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#2 of 65 OFFLINE   Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor

• 665 posts

Posted May 08 2005 - 07:03 PM

I was pretty pleased with the DVD, myself. One thing I thought was challenging about the image quality is the fact that there is all of two or three close-ups in the entire film. I bet you that most reference-quality DVDs drop down a notch or two when you cut out all the close-ups. Just something to keep in mind.

#3 of 65 OFFLINE   Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted May 08 2005 - 07:36 PM

I was somewhat dissapointed with the image quality of The Life Aquatic when I saw it (twice) at the cinema. Although the film was photographed in Panavision anamorphic, it went through a digital intermediate which I feel compromised the quality somewhat. It is quite possible that I saw two different bad prints, although I saw it once in the same cinema I saw The Royal Tenenbaums, yet recall the image quality of that film being outstanding. Wes Anderson seems to love the quality of the anamorphic format. For Rushmore he even avoided the use of opticals for the month titles (and binoculars P.O.V.) by actually projecting them onto pieces of material that were directly photographed by the camera :-)

#4 of 65 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted May 09 2005 - 02:27 AM

Keep those posts coming. Once the disc is in your hands I'd love some feedback as to how it compares to the theatrical image. It may be that much of the detail softness is inherent to the print...though I doubt that's the case with the EE... Posted Image

In any case, if its concluded that the softness is a fair representation of the actual print quality then I'll update my review accordingly.

thanks!

#5 of 65 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,420 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted May 09 2005 - 02:38 AM

i liked the movie enough, not as much as rushmore or even royal, but the image quality makes this too hard to watch on my tv. watched it last week. i'll pass.
facebook.com/whotony

#6 of 65 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,798 posts

Posted May 09 2005 - 02:56 AM

Wow... I'm dissapointed by the criticisms of of the pq of this release, I was so looking forward to picking it up (I should note however that tjis won't be stopping me) but when I caught a premiere screening of this film at the cinema, it looked absolutely brilliant on the big screen! Unless my memory is failing me, the quality was pristine and on par with all of Anderson's previous films. That's a shame that the standards of the DVD haven't been held to the quality of the content. This was easily my favorite movie of last year. Anyways, that's really too bad that the studio didn't put a little more effort into the transfer. Btw, for those interested... DVDSoon.com is selling the 2-disc Criterion Edition for only $21 CANADIAN and domestic shipping is ~ $2. Best price I've come accross anywhere so far. It's just a shame that they don't accept Paypal as I'd have pre-ordered this weeks ago.

#7 of 65 OFFLINE   JoshuaB.

JoshuaB.

Second Unit

• 408 posts
  • LocationCowtown, formerly Vancouver

Posted May 09 2005 - 04:05 AM

I remember being disappointed when I saw the Life Aquatic in the theatre. Hopefully I'll change my mind when I buy the 2 discer tomorrow--apparently Future Shop has a free Zissou toque if you buy a copy! I'll give it to my girlfriend--she's already custom made a pair of Team Zissou sneakers for herself!
Posted Image

#8 of 65 OFFLINE   EricW

EricW

Screenwriter

• 2,309 posts

Posted May 09 2005 - 07:55 AM

DUDE!!! thanks for the heads up!!! looks like i'm joining team Zissou!!!!
"now, if that's a fact, tell me... am i lying?"

#9 of 65 OFFLINE   Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,068 posts

Posted May 09 2005 - 09:11 AM

My copy shipped from Amazon today, I should have it on Wednesday. This movie had a wider release than any of Wes Anderson's other movies but my local theater was renovating half of their screens and the new theater hadn't finished it's construction when "The Life Aquatic" was released so it didn't play in my city. I didn't get a chance to see it theatrically. I'm a big fan of Wes Anderson and in preparation for the Wednesday arrival of my 2-disc "Life Aquatic" Criterion, I watched "Bottle Rocket" last night, I'm gonna watch "Rushmore" tonight and tomorrow night, I'll watch "The Royal Tenenbaums". My amazon.com shipment also includes "Chuck Dugan is AWOL: A Novel With Maps", the debut book by Eric Chase Anderson, brother of Wes and illustrater for the Criterion's "Rushmore", "Royal Tenenbaums" and "Life Aquatic" DVD sleeves. It was just released a week ago and by all accounts, his sense of humor is very similar to his brother's.
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#10 of 65 OFFLINE   John Alderson

John Alderson

Supporting Actor

• 563 posts

Posted May 09 2005 - 12:28 PM

I saw it in the theater, and I definitely thought it had a soft look to it. Of course, my local theater frequently screws things up. I am very much looking forward to this. I am a huge fan of Wes Anderson's; The Royal Tenenbaums is my favorite all time film that doesn't involve Hobbits or Jedi. With his other films, repeat viewings increased my appreciation of the material greatly. I found myself slightly underwhelmed by Life Aquatic for much of it, but by the end I was just sitting there saying "wow". I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

#11 of 65 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,420 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted May 09 2005 - 12:45 PM

was i alone in thinking that at the end
the giant shark was going to eat the entire cast of the movie in one shot. there certanly was nothing wrong with the way it ended. i just would have love to see it end somehow my way.

facebook.com/whotony

#12 of 65 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,794 posts

Posted May 09 2005 - 02:02 PM

I really want to see this but I have to watch my money right now and the bad things Ive read are forcing to pass.

#13 of 65 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted May 09 2005 - 02:30 PM

Jon, be sure to rent at least...

#14 of 65 OFFLINE   James T

James T

Screenwriter

• 1,643 posts

Posted May 09 2005 - 02:36 PM

I loved this movie. I was unsure what the big difference was with the one disc vs the two disc, but I guess the 2nd disc is worth the extra couple bucks. I went to see it in a half full theater. About half of that audience walked out. It's not a movie for everyone, but it's also not a movie just for the fans of Wes. I didn't like Royal Tennenbaums, but I gave this a chance, and I'm glad.

#15 of 65 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,239 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 09 2005 - 02:47 PM

I am sooooo unsure about this. I am a huge Bill Murray fan. He could read the phonebook and I'd be laughing hysterically. Liked Rushmore. Couldn't finish Royal Tenenbaums. I love the idea of having my film/story sensibilities stretched...but I'm just not sure I get it.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#16 of 65 OFFLINE   James T

James T

Screenwriter

• 1,643 posts

Posted May 09 2005 - 03:11 PM

I'm pretty much the same way. I liked Rushmore, but I still haven't finished Royal Tennenbaums. It's a rental at the very least.

#17 of 65 OFFLINE   Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo

Second Unit

• 366 posts

Posted May 09 2005 - 03:46 PM

Me too. I like Rushmore, despise Tenenbaums, and consider The Life Aquatic a near masterpiece. I'm getting to the store early tomorrow for my copy of this.
My art imitates crime.

#18 of 65 OFFLINE   James T

James T

Screenwriter

• 1,643 posts

Posted May 09 2005 - 04:44 PM

Mark,

If you have a Futureshop nearby, head there. If you pick up Life Aquatic, you'll get a free red cap...too bad no speedo Posted Image

#19 of 65 OFFLINE   MatS

MatS

Screenwriter

• 1,599 posts

Posted May 09 2005 - 05:24 PM

I think David's description of the film is right on fyi... Bottle Rocket is my favorite WA film loved Rushmore despised Royal T upon first viewing but have learned to enjoy it upon subsequent viewings had high expectations for TLA upon hearing about it was going to pass at first based on negative initial feedback wound up enjoying TLA much better than TRT upon first viewing and has held up after repeat viewings

#20 of 65 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,794 posts

Posted May 10 2005 - 01:12 AM

ugh..... I love dry humor,Im gonna go pick it up today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users