Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Quantum Leap S3 - music changed!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
44 replies to this topic

#1 of 45 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,898 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted May 06 2005 - 10:08 AM

Brian at Al's Place got in a review copy, and has confirmed that music is indeed replaced. To quote:

Quote:
I got the set. Tried out "Private Dancer" to start with, which is all I have time for today.

I watched it, trying to listen to the music as I watched. The episode if very clear and enjoyable... one of my favorites. "Oh What a Night" is there, and of course it had to be because Al sings part of the lyrics in a scene. "Daybreak" is there which is great because it is intrigal to the scene.

However...

I then compared the DVD to my old VHS copy and yes indeed ladies and gentlemen, music has been changed. It is not horrible in that episode... I didn't really notice until watching the original version, so at least they put in similar music.

Disappointed Universal did not learn their lesson from Season Two, though. I'll be trying to watch an episode in every free hour I have just to see what else happens. "The Leap Home" is next on my list.

There is a box on the outside of the set that says "Music may differ from televised version."

I guess it's not a surprise, but I had held out hope. QL is now officially off my to-buy list for good.

http://p073.ezboard.....picID=95.topic

#2 of 45 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,317 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 06 2005 - 10:10 AM

Here comes pages of complaints...

#3 of 45 OFFLINE   Dave Farley

Dave Farley

Second Unit

• 411 posts

Posted May 06 2005 - 11:52 AM

Quote:
QL is now officially off my to-buy list for good.

Same here, Greg. I held out a very tiny sliver of hope that they would issue a complete Season 3 but in reality, I knew they wouldn't bother.

#4 of 45 OFFLINE   DanFe

DanFe

Second Unit

• 421 posts

Posted May 06 2005 - 12:44 PM

Universal, you greatly disappoint yet again.

#5 of 45 OFFLINE   Walt Riarson

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor

• 809 posts

Posted May 06 2005 - 01:15 PM

No sale, here.
"My advice to young film-makers is this: Don't follow trends. Start them!" -- Frank Capra

#6 of 45 OFFLINE   Rob P S

Rob P S

Screenwriter

• 1,995 posts

Posted May 06 2005 - 02:17 PM

Does Sam still sing "Imagine" in "The Leap Home"? Just try to replace that, Universal.

#7 of 45 OFFLINE   Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 966 posts

Posted May 06 2005 - 03:40 PM

Quote:
QL is now officially off my to-buy list for good.

Same here.

I refused to buy S2, but I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt -- if they had done Seasons 3 and beyond properly, I'd cave and buy the marred S2. But they've now proven that they have absolutely no interest in giving me what I, as both a fan and a consumer, want, so I, in turn, am no longer interested in giving them my hard-earned money.

I will not reward them for putting out such an inferior release of such a superior show.

And, Travis... If this does turn into another "pages of complaints" thread like the S2 thread, it may serve no other purpose than to allow us fans (who would LOVE to be consumers if they'd give us what we want) a place to vent our feelings. I have no delusions that any studio execs will read our thoughts, or that it would even matter if they did...but it does help a bit to have a place where we can at least express our disappointment, in the company of others who share our feelings.

#8 of 45 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,537 posts

Posted May 06 2005 - 04:05 PM

Quote:
And, Travis... If this does turn into another "pages of complaints" thread like the S2 thread, it may serve no other purpose than to allow us fans (who would LOVE to be consumers if they'd give us what we want) a place to vent our feelings. I have no delusions that any studio execs will read our thoughts, or that it would even matter if they did...but it does help a bit to have a place where we can at least express our disappointment, in the company of others who share our feelings.

Yeah, that's a pretty good way to put it.

I remember that one of Universal's excuses last time was that they wanted to put out a quality product as quickly as possible to meet demand, or something to that effect. However, I'm sure many fans would be willing to wait a little longer and even pay a little extra if we got the episodes as they originally aired.

Like Linda, I don't hold out too much hope of the studio seeing this and deciding to fix the problem, but it does give us a place to get it off our chests.

As for Universal, well, they just won't get my money. And I'm sure they'll look at the sales and think they were right in not springing for the music clearances. But if they had... Well, there it begins again. Posted Image

To be fair, I imagine the profits probably wouldn't be significantly better if they released it right. I know that more units would definitely be sold, but the bottom line is the bottom line, I guess. It just seems that with a show with as sizable a cult following as this one has, the difference would be enough to notice, at least. But I don't know.

Of course, this is all useless, but like Linda said, we just need to vent a little.
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#9 of 45 OFFLINE   Beast

Beast

Second Unit

• 483 posts

Posted May 06 2005 - 05:01 PM

I'll be buying it regardless, even with the music replacement. Only because I know how much music artists like to stick it to studio's for music rights. I would rather have season sets at a reasonable price, and have to deal with music replacement. Then have to deal with either not having the sets, or paying 2x to 3x more for them just to retain the music rights. In the end, it's just not really that important to me. But hopefully this will cause a change in how TV shows purchase music rights for new shows, so it doesn't continue being an issue.
R.I.P. Master Splinter - Mirage Comics - May 1984 / June 2003

#10 of 45 OFFLINE   Justin^W

Justin^W

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted May 06 2005 - 05:58 PM

They should just leave it alone.

#11 of 45 OFFLINE   BrandonJF

BrandonJF

Second Unit

• 436 posts

Posted May 07 2005 - 04:48 AM

Quote:
"Oh What a Night" is there, and of course it had to be because Al sings part of the lyrics in a scene.

If Sony held the rights to Quantum Leap, they just would have removed the scene. Maybe Universal will get there eventually, but, for now, I'm kinda glad they at least kept all the scenes.

#12 of 45 OFFLINE   JeremySt

JeremySt

Screenwriter

• 1,775 posts

Posted May 07 2005 - 10:14 AM

looks like my QL sets will come courtesy of the sci fi channel and DVD-R.

#13 of 45 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted May 07 2005 - 08:31 PM

Having had the opportunity to see about half of these episodes on DVD, I can't say that I ever noticed anything out of place with the music. I assume much was replaced, but it didn't hamper my enjoyment of the episodes at all.

I'll be picking it up.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#14 of 45 OFFLINE   Lee Jamilkowski

Lee Jamilkowski

Stunt Coordinator

• 235 posts

Posted May 08 2005 - 01:05 AM

Quote:
No sale, here.

Ditto. Universal lost this sale.
Go to see the film An Inconvenient Truth - one of the most important films of a generation.

Watch the I've Got Munchies podcast.

#15 of 45 OFFLINE   Angela_K

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator

• 238 posts

Posted May 08 2005 - 12:53 PM

Quote:
Does Sam still sing "Imagine" in "The Leap Home"? Just try to replace that, Universal.

It's there, the review from sitcoms online says that isn't replaced:

http://www.sitcomson....dvdreview.html

I want the rest of the seasons so I'm gonna buy Posted Image

#16 of 45 OFFLINE   Antony James

Antony James

Stunt Coordinator

• 160 posts

Posted May 08 2005 - 01:11 PM

Like someone above mentioned, I'll take music replacement over episode edits any day of the week.

My copy should be arriving any time now. Posted Image

#17 of 45 OFFLINE   Angela_K

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator

• 238 posts

Posted May 08 2005 - 01:18 PM

Yep I can live with music replacements, and would take that in a heartbeat over Edited Episodes. Hmmm if we don't get anymore seasons cause people won't buy, I wonder if people will come here complaining about that? Posted Image

#18 of 45 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted May 08 2005 - 02:11 PM

I'll take music replacement over episode edits any day of the week.
Huh? Music replacements are episode edits. You're talking about a false choice - music replacements vs. cutting scenes with music altogether. There's another option, as a matter of fact the only acceptable option - all scenes with all of the original music.

Otherwise, as many others in this thread have said, no sale.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#19 of 45 OFFLINE   Randy_Cre

Randy_Cre

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted May 08 2005 - 03:07 PM

I'm concerned that by not buying these music altered sets that we could send Universal the message that we don't welcome music replacement, that we view music replacement as a bad thing.

We might give Universal the impression that we won't fully support whatever edited crap they deem to give us of QL. I also wouldn't want Universal to get the impression that I'm not also anxiously awaiting a Season 2 of Miami Vice without all those songs that can be so expensive.

Turning off the sarcasm ... personally, I'd pay more for properly done sets (I've heard some say, ... at that price... well, just because something is cheap doesn't mean its still not junk). For me, there are so many other sets out there that I'd also like besides QL which is a favorite, that I'd prefer rewarding a company for a set that's done right, than rewarding a company with my money for doing what Universal has with QL. And I'm not convinced that Universal sets of QL are the only way I can have episodes of the show. I'd rather pursue other avenues of obtaining unedited/original music intact episodes than reward Univesal for offering inferior product.

#20 of 45 OFFLINE   Scott Hamilton

Scott Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator

• 171 posts

Posted May 08 2005 - 07:44 PM

No sale Universal.

We proved that we would pay higher prices for uncut/music intact with season 1.

And no one at Universal can say now that they know the DVD buyers of TV sets are upset and not buying the sets now, which equals loss of sales no matter which way they spin it. I look at it this way say they sell 100,000 sets at $39.95 for cut ones. But they sell 90,000 uncut at $69.95. If anyone went to their boss and said will we sell less product and the consumers will not buy it but lets do it because we will sell a few copies? what would your boss say to you?

The bean counters have no idea how much people love TV shows like they love movies and will pay more for the better product.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow